AMIR

• 61 replies
Re: AMIR
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 08:32:53 AM »
St. John’s has already received one ‘gift’ in junior center God’sgift Achiuwa. Now they will get another present, just in time for the holidays.

Highly-touted recruit Amir Garrett was cleared to play by the NCAA and could be in uniform Wednesday night when the Red Storm meet Texas-Pan American at 7 p.m. in Carnesecca Arena, the Daily News has learned.

After being denied clearance by the NCAA in September, Garrett spent the past semester improving his academic profile at Bridgton Academy in Maine.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/st-john-basketball-add-amir-garrett-swingman-cleared-ncaa-play-texas-pan-american-article-1.994689#ixzz1hAxnqWVw
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 08:42:55 AM »
Great news. Horribly written story.

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 09:18:20 AM »
Amir might not be a big scorer, but he is going to let Moe and the other guys get a couple minute rest which is so big.

Poison

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 09:43:14 AM »
Amir might not be a big scorer, but he is going to let Moe and the other guys get a couple minute rest which is so big.

I see no reason to believe that he couldn't give us 6/8 points and 3/5 boards. For a freshman, that's a healthy contribution.

sju89tr

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 10:22:18 AM »

I see no reason to believe that he couldn't give us 6/8 points and 3/5 boards. For a freshman, that's a healthy contribution.

I am thinking with our situation that Amir's numbers could be a little higher only because he is guaranteed about 27 minutes as soon as he is up to speed with the system. I think about 8 points and perhaps 6 boards a game. The best part of this will be that we can run a little more and play a little more aggressive defense with Amir eligible.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 10:24:42 AM »
Maybe we'll actually make an effort to defend the 3?

sju89tr

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 10:27:41 AM »
Maybe we'll actually make an effort to defend the 3?

I hear your frustration but playing the way we should is a little hard to do with the bodies we have.

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 11:35:59 AM »
I'd normally say there is no way he would see a minute of action, but he might with Tex Pan Am in town.   This should be a 20 point win.  Maybe they will play a little man and run a few simple sets at in the last five minutes to get some of the nerves out before Big East play.

pmg911

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 11:41:10 AM »
Our zone is giving up far too many wide open looks this year but it will take time for these kids to learn it.

This season is clearly a lost cause but I just hope it ends up being huge learning experience for the team.

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 11:44:22 AM »
Our zone is giving up far too many wide open looks this year but it will take time for these kids to learn it.

This season is clearly a lost cause but I just hope it ends up being huge learning experience for the team.

It's hard to call a season a lost cause before conference play begins. I don't anticipate the team making some miraculous run but I do think they can jump a few teams who are also struggling within the conference.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »
Ton of respect for this kid.  Out of all the recruits he could have easily blew us off but stood by his commitment and made sure to do the needed work.  I hope the crowd (I can't be there tonight if he plays) gives this kid the loud ovation he deserves. 

Moose

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2011, 11:52:30 AM »

This is alarming.  Everyone seems to have lights out shooting performances vs. us.  Last year I thought well we have short players.  The new guys are longer (ie hand in the face) but still its the case.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
"Garrett's father also said that the plan remains to play baseball in the Cincinnati Reds minor league system this summer. Garrett was selected in the 22nd round of the draft and received a bonus in excess of $1 million spread over five years."

How can he play amateur basketball if he received a signing bonus?  He's only going to play this season?

I'm happy he's with us but confused.

the ncaa allows you to be a pro in one sport and an amateur in another.

Is that right?  Since when?  And how can that be?

To think the crap that Jim Thorpe went through.

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2011, 12:45:03 PM »
Drew Henson, John Elway, DJ Dozier and Deion all did it just to name four I am familar with.

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011, 12:49:51 PM »
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:50:30 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 12:57:10 PM »
Chris Weinke

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2011, 12:58:26 PM »
Garrett has earned my respect as a true St. John's man.  We have so much to look forward to with this young team as we watch them go into battle.

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »
Drew Henson, John Elway, DJ Dozier and Deion all did it just to name four I am familar with.

So here's my scam.  A large booster/alumnus of the University of Connecticut is a partial owner of a Class A affiliate of the Montreal Expos.  He offers a blue chip two sport recruit that can't hit the curveball a 2.3 million dollar signing bonus to play on his baseball team.  "Coincidentally",  the young man also signs a letter of intent to play at Ucan't. 

What a great country we live in.

Moose

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011, 01:12:33 PM »

So here's my scam.  A large booster/alumnus of the University of Connecticut is a partial owner of a Class A affiliate of the Montreal Expos.  He offers a blue chip two sport recruit that can't hit the curveball a 2.3 million dollar signing bonus to play on his baseball team.  "Coincidentally",  the young man also signs a letter of intent to play at Ucan't. 

What a great country we live in.

The Expos would have to give him the money not the single A team.
The catch is that the player can't walk on and use the pro money to pay for education so it avoids the situation you brought up.
So long as they still count as a scholarship its fair game and like half the other added benefits recruits inevitably get across the country.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »

Danny Ainge