Louisville Game Thread

• 121 replies

MCNPA

Re: Louisville Game Thread
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2012, 12:50:04 AM »
Some odd/interesting tweets from everyone's favorite Lenn Robbins tonight. Was he taking potshots at the stjbb program or is it just me?

Caught that too...the hash tag of #stjbb next to the talk of rising metro programs sealed it for me.  To be honest tho, St. John's is taking a huge step back this season while our local counterparts ('hall, rutgers) are making strides.

The Hall is making zero strides.  What are you smoking?  They have a decent team this season but are on a cliff entering next year. They graduate A ton of their production next year when Pope, Theodore and others are gone.  Seton hall is winning, but their young talent is really marginal. They benefit from having the best center in the Big east as well as a veteran Pg amongst others.  Rutgers has the same record as us.   Why are we taking a step back but they forward?  Because they beat an overrated Florida team? 

I agree with Marillac that we will be filthy ,oving forward over next few years.  RU doesn't have our depth problems.  We will add 5 or 6 this offseason.  Despit the score, I thought we played okay Today except for the fact that our shots didn't fall.   We were only down 11 in the first half yet we were 1-27 shooting.  We certainly hit a cold streak the last two games, but we're better than this and we could hang with Louisville.  We certainly miss Lavinln the sidelines though.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:51:52 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2012, 01:58:03 AM »
Some odd/interesting tweets from everyone's favorite Lenn Robbins tonight. Was he taking potshots at the stjbb program or is it just me?

Caught that too...the hash tag of #stjbb next to the talk of rising metro programs sealed it for me.  To be honest tho, St. John's is taking a huge step back this season while our local counterparts ('hall, rutgers) are making strides.

The Hall is making zero strides.  What are you smoking?  They have a decent team this season but are on a cliff entering next year. They graduate A ton of their production next year when Pope, Theodore and others are gone.  Seton hall is winning, but their young talent is really marginal. They benefit from having the best center in the Big east as well as a veteran Pg amongst others.  Rutgers has the same record as us.   Why are we taking a step back but they forward?  Because they beat an overrated Florida team? 

I agree with Marillac that we will be filthy ,oving forward over next few years.  RU doesn't have our depth problems.  We will add 5 or 6 this offseason.  Despit the score, I thought we played okay Today except for the fact that our shots didn't fall.   We were only down 11 in the first half yet we were 1-27 shooting.  We certainly hit a cold streak the last two games, but we're better than this and we could hang with Louisville.  We certainly miss Lavinln the sidelines though.

Rutgers is making strides but Rice has recruited too many too fast. It's almost a similar situation to what Norm Roberts did but with a little better talent right away. All his players are very close in talent but no one jumps out like crazy.

Seton Hall has made strides this season. Coach Willard demonstrated at a coaching clinic my colleagues and I earlier this season and he talked about his philosophy of improving players individually will help improve your team as a whole. He went through drills and 1 on 1 stuff that he does with his guys and honestly I can tell its made guys like Pope, Theodore, Edwin, Fuda, etc better players. So big time kudos to Coach Willard and staff but they're striking out big time recruits. They're losing recruits to American University. This will ultimately hurt them in the climbing of the Big East. I need to get a coach on that staff that can get it done.

As for St. John's they were picked 13th in the Big East for a reason. They weren't supposed to be that good this year and last year raised the bar to unrealistic expectations. They're getting their lumps and you can see where they struggle but I can see potential in a lot of areas and of players that I'm excited to add a few more bodies to this team next year. Gathers should be on board when all is said and done, Obekpa would be perfect compliment to Gathers & Gift and would be an immediate rotation guy, Sampson wants back in but people around him pushing Kansas/Baylor, Wood is a guy who can develop, the mystery recruit as you guys call him would come on board but personally I just don't see how it happens, and that leaves a PG which hasn't been easy to find. 2013-2015 looks very good. So everyone needs to relax a bit.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2012, 02:08:33 AM »
I liked the way Garrett played tonight. He's getting more comfortable out there and he is far from being the pig that Lindsey was on the floor. I was really impressed with his court vision and his desire to get looks for his teammates. Sure he made some bad fouls away from the basket, ill advised drives to the basket, but he's adjusting to the speed of the game. It's tough he went from high school games to Big East conference games.

Moe made some ridiculous moves along the baseline and when he faces up he's really tough to stop going to the basket. I just don't know if he knows that yet.

D'Angelo is becoming a favorite of mine quick. This is 3rd or 4th game where he has drawn a foul from boxing out and he's just so crafty at drawing contact and putting the ball up. He's like the RB that lowers his shoulder to get the extra yard instead of trying to juke and get to the outside.

Transition defense was bad in the first half as Louisville got 8 points off of turnovers/missed shots. When you're down 11 that's huge. Otherwise I thought the defense did pretty well and take away the shooting barrage at the end and they kept Louisville at a low percentage.

Russ Smith had a great game and I have to tip my cap. I didn't think he was good enough for the Big East when he was in high school and was shocked when Louisville offered him but he's proving a ton of people wrong including myself which is absolutely great to see. Wish him the best.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2012, 04:30:46 AM »
maybe someone can help me understand...iona has mostly players who couldn't get a sniff by st. john's and they CONSISTANTLY shoot lights out...and our studs go something like an unbelievably horrendous 1-29.  any intramural team at st john's can do better.

don't tell me it's coaching.  our coaches have won big-time elsewhere.

MCNPA

« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2012, 07:31:12 AM »
maybe someone can help me understand...iona has mostly players who couldn't get a sniff by st. john's and they CONSISTANTLY shoot lights out...and our studs go something like an unbelievably horrendous 1-29.  any intramural team at st john's can do better.

don't tell me it's coaching.  our coaches have won big-time elsewhere.

Hate to use it as an excuse again, but I think it is just being freshmen in the big leagues.  Most kids don't come into college shooting the lights out, and improve every year with hard work.  Our roster is sooo limited that it shows more. 

MCNPA

« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2012, 07:36:56 AM »

Rutgers is making strides but Rice has recruited too many too fast. It's almost a similar situation to what Norm Roberts did but with a little better talent right away. All his players are very close in talent but no one jumps out like crazy.

Seton Hall has made strides this season. Coach Willard demonstrated at a coaching clinic my colleagues and I earlier this season and he talked about his philosophy of improving players individually will help improve your team as a whole. He went through drills and 1 on 1 stuff that he does with his guys and honestly I can tell its made guys like Pope, Theodore, Edwin, Fuda, etc better players. So big time kudos to Coach Willard and staff but they're striking out big time recruits. They're losing recruits to American University. This will ultimately hurt them in the climbing of the Big East. I need to get a coach on that staff that can get it done.

As for St. John's they were picked 13th in the Big East for a reason. They weren't supposed to be that good this year and last year raised the bar to unrealistic expectations. They're getting their lumps and you can see where they struggle but I can see potential in a lot of areas and of players that I'm excited to add a few more bodies to this team next year. Gathers should be on board when all is said and done, Obekpa would be perfect compliment to Gathers & Gift and would be an immediate rotation guy, Sampson wants back in but people around him pushing Kansas/Baylor, Wood is a guy who can develop, the mystery recruit as you guys call him would come on board but personally I just don't see how it happens, and that leaves a PG which hasn't been easy to find. 2013-2015 looks very good. So everyone needs to relax a bit.

Good post Dave.  I sure hope we can bring in those guys you mention.  Gift is a good player, but if you add Obekpa, Gathers, Sampson or a combination and we can be a force.  I really love Sampson and think he fits our style and has tons of upside.  I hope he gets what he wants and is able to pry himself away from the Brewster coach's grasp.  I like Wood a lot.  Good shooter inside and out.  A real knack for scoring.  As you know Dave, it's always hard to relax.  That tension is part of the fun of recruiting though.  When we finally sign guys, it becomes that much more fun.  Need to land more size up front and another PG type.  I really think maybe a JC PG if ther is a good one out there would be a good option with all the great guards we're involved with for 13' and beyond.

MCNPA

« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
I liked the way Garrett played tonight. He's getting more comfortable out there and he is far from being the pig that Lindsey was on the floor. I was really impressed with his court vision and his desire to get looks for his teammates. Sure he made some bad fouls away from the basket, ill advised drives to the basket, but he's adjusting to the speed of the game. It's tough he went from high school games to Big East conference games.

Moe made some ridiculous moves along the baseline and when he faces up he's really tough to stop going to the basket. I just don't know if he knows that yet.

D'Angelo is becoming a favorite of mine quick. This is 3rd or 4th game where he has drawn a foul from boxing out and he's just so crafty at drawing contact and putting the ball up. He's like the RB that lowers his shoulder to get the extra yard instead of trying to juke and get to the outside.

Transition defense was bad in the first half as Louisville got 8 points off of turnovers/missed shots. When you're down 11 that's huge. Otherwise I thought the defense did pretty well and take away the shooting barrage at the end and they kept Louisville at a low percentage.

Russ Smith had a great game and I have to tip my cap. I didn't think he was good enough for the Big East when he was in high school and was shocked when Louisville offered him but he's proving a ton of people wrong including myself which is absolutely great to see. Wish him the best.

Garrett impressed me with his ability to change speeds and some excellent passes, both of which were mishandled by the recipients.  He needs some work on his handle and his shooting, but has elite athleticism and I too thought his vision and open court sense was real good.

Harrison was excellent and is simply a gamer.  He plays like a veteran.  He'll be a four year fixture here and will lead this team on at least 2 deep tourney runs.  His shooting and other skills will only get better.  He's a killer out there. 

Mo is excellent and getting more aggressive.  Pointer is improving at a big pinch.  Overall I love how we're coming along.  Yesterday, we just couldn't overcome atrocious overall shooting as a team.  1-30 will get anybody a big loss.  We weren't able to claw back.  Other facets of the game I thought we played well.  Half court D is a world better than the start of the season.  Transition d had some holes.  Half court offense was disrupted by the Ville's D as well as Dieng down low.  Simply gotta start getting better looks and shooting better. 

sju89tr

« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2012, 08:16:38 AM »

Garrett impressed me with his ability to change speeds and some excellent passes, both of which were mishandled by the recipients.  He needs some work on his handle and his shooting, but has elite athleticism and I too thought his vision and open court sense was real good.

Harrison was excellent and is simply a gamer.  He plays like a veteran.  He'll be a four year fixture here and will lead this team on at least 2 deep tourney runs.  His shooting and other skills will only get better.  He's a killer out there. 

Mo is excellent and getting more aggressive.  Pointer is improving at a big pinch.  Overall I love how we're coming along.  Yesterday, we just couldn't overcome atrocious overall shooting as a team.  1-30 will get anybody a big loss.  We weren't able to claw back.  Other facets of the game I thought we played well.  Half court D is a world better than the start of the season.  Transition d had some holes.  Half court offense was disrupted by the Ville's D as well as Dieng down low.  Simply gotta start getting better looks and shooting better.

There will be nothing wrong with recruiting kids when all is said and done. Staff will add the necessary parts for an NCAA berth next season and will have this group poised for deep runs in the tourney when these kids are juniors and seniors. We are just too antsy at this point. 

pmg911

« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2012, 08:35:26 AM »
Dave - you have claimed on here that you know every guy on the Seton Hall staff well, I wonder if you are so free with the criticism of their abilities when you talk to them in person.?

Poison

« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2012, 09:42:20 AM »

What? The Hall isn't making strides? What are YOU smoking? They're 13-2. In what universe is that not great? Yes, they lose some seniors, however, what this proves is that their coach knows what he's doing. He turned around an Iona program that was coming off a 2 win season, and now he's got the Hall rolling. I hate SH as much as the next person. Jersey scum. But how on earth can you say that they haven't made strides after they destroyed a Uconn team that destroyed us on Saturday?

Are they going to return one terrible player from their NCAA bound team? They have nothing coming in next year. What do we have coming in next year??????
For all of the strides WE think we've made, we are 7-7. My prediction of 12 wins is looking pretty damn accurate.

MCNPA

« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »

What? The Hall isn't making strides? What are YOU smoking? They're 13-2. In what universe is that not great? Yes, they lose some seniors, however, what this proves is that their coach knows what he's doing. He turned around an Iona program that was coming off a 2 win season, and now he's got the Hall rolling. I hate SH as much as the next person. Jersey scum. But how on earth can you say that they haven't made strides after they destroyed a Uconn team that destroyed us on Saturday?

Are they going to return one terrible player from their NCAA bound team? They have nothing coming in next year. What do we have coming in next year??????
For all of the strides WE think we've made, we are 7-7. My prediction of 12 wins is looking pretty damn accurate.

Willard has this team playing well, but his recruiting has been atrocious.  Willard did nothing at Iona of note.  I think he's a solid coach for sure, but I'm talking strictly about recruiting his own team.  I wasn't speaking about their success on the court this year, which lion's share of the scoring is with Bobby G's players. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:31:32 AM by MCNPA »

sju89tr

« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2012, 10:33:58 AM »

Seton Hall will ride this senior leadership to be a bubble team for the NCAA's for sure, just like we did last year.

The difference is that Willard screwed himself with the 11-12 recruiting class and has left himself with 1 ship and a roster that could be the worst in the Big East next season.

There is zero comparisons with us and them.

MCNPA

« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2012, 10:35:18 AM »

Seton Hall will ride this senior leadership to be a bubble team for the NCAA's for sure, just like we did last year.

The difference is that Willard screwed himself with the 11-12 recruiting class and has left himself with 1 ship and a roster that could be the worst in the Big East next season.

There is zero comparisons with us and them.

Exactly...

pmg911

« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »
sju89tr- to the Hall for next year, I will have to disagree about worst roster in the league next year. I think you are forgetting they have two transfer players sitting out this year, Brian Oliver & Gene Teague, that become eligible next year and they also have a 6'10 redshirt Freshman, Kevin Joihnson,  sitting out this year too.

They will not be lighting the world on fire and they need a point guard very badly but they will not be the worst team in the league.

sju89tr

« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2012, 01:06:39 PM »
sju89tr- to the Hall for next year, I will have to disagree about worst roster in the league next year. I think you are forgetting they have two transfer players sitting out this year, Brian Oliver & Gene Teague, that become eligible next year and they also have a 6'10 redshirt Freshman, Kevin Joihnson,  sitting out this year too.

They will not be lighting the world on fire and they need a point guard very badly but they will not be the worst team in the league.

Its going to be tough for them, seen Johnson play, he is going to be a project at best who can play a few minutes a half. Oliver is a talent but not sure he deserved the praises out of HS. Teague I don't know much about.

pmg911

« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »
Like I said, I don't think they light the world on fire, especially without a point guard but not the worst team in the league.

« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2012, 01:28:07 PM »

Willard has this team playing well, but his recruiting has been atrocious.  Willard did nothing at Iona of note.  I think he's a solid coach for sure, but I'm talking strictly about recruiting his own team.  I wasn't speaking about their success on the court this year, which lion's share of the scoring is with Bobby G's players. 
with the exception of momo aren't the iona players, willards?

« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2012, 01:33:01 PM »
Smith,Machado and Jenkins are Willards. Everyone else is Cluess and Grasso

pmg911

« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2012, 02:54:16 PM »
Glover was handed to them in a silver platter too but Grasso did close that deal, people forget that Glover was all set to go to St. Francis

« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2012, 03:29:37 PM »
Glover was handed to them in a silver platter too but Grasso did close that deal, people forget that Glover was all set to go to St. Francis

Didn't he almost end up at Hofstra also?