@STJCoachLavin

• 576 replies

desco80

Re: @STJCoachLavin
« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2012, 04:15:40 PM »
In the Zags article today about Sheppard to SDSU, Lavin still sounds very optimistic about this class.  So let's keep the faith for now.
And for those of us who questioned if he was hinting at a smaller class when he tweeted "4 or 5" the other day... apparently that was baseless. 

This is the quote: (when asked about playing UCLA Saturday)
“But really coming up to this game, it’s just been more focused on continuing to elevate our team’s play and then…I’ve been expending the majority of my energy out on the road because we have to sign a class of five or six kids in April, so we’re kind of in that closing mode  as we come down the home stretch of what looks to be a very promising recruiting class.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/02/16/johnnies-take-a-recruiting-hit-as-shepard-heads-to-san-diego-state/

« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2012, 04:22:27 PM »
Last year Brownlee was 6 7 and played C and we did great. That said, we had plenty of depth.
Fans are hoping and talking about final fours and you advocate for the status quo-yeah we did great-one and done in NCAA-Gonzaga bigs killed us inside-we do need some hight.

dR3w

« Reply #162 on: February 16, 2012, 04:31:51 PM »
Last year Brownlee was 6 7 and played C and we did great. That said, we had plenty of depth.
Fans are hoping and talking about final fours and you advocate for the status quo-yeah we did great-one and done in NCAA-Gonzaga bigs killed us inside-we do need some hight.

And what about when we beat Duke?  Didn't they have a big front line?  I mean it works both ways.  There is always more to the story.

Poison

« Reply #163 on: February 16, 2012, 05:24:19 PM »

I hate to break to you, but last year was one of the best seasons SJ has ever had. If you're expecting us to do better than that on a regular basis, you're going to be disappointed. Justin Bownlee would be the best player on this team. And if Dwight Hardy were on this team, he'd be the best player on this team.

« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2012, 05:29:02 PM »

We beat 6 top 10 teams. That team was better than a one and done and you know it. Bad matchup, rough shooting game, and losing our X-factor and top rebounder in Kennedy killed us.

desco80

« Reply #165 on: February 16, 2012, 05:47:32 PM »

We beat 6 top 10 teams. That team was better than a one and done and you know it. Bad matchup, rough shooting game, and losing our X-factor and top rebounder in Kennedy killed us.
[/quote]

This has been my point for awhile.  Last year we had a good team that could've gone on a run.   But, one bad matchup can end that real quick.   Which is why the roster needs to be balanced, including a big man - even if he doesn't fit the system perfectly.   At times, we'll need that.   Same can be said for shooters.   Majority of the game they won't be athletic enough to trap, and run the court like we want them to.   But there will be matchups where we need to shoot over a zone, and for 12 mins against syracuse, an unathletic, but deadly shooter, would help. 

Matchups. 

Marillac

« Reply #166 on: February 16, 2012, 06:55:56 PM »

I hate to break to you, but last year was one of the best seasons SJ has ever had. If you're expecting us to do better than that on a regular basis, you're going to be disappointed. Justin Bownlee would be the best player on this team. And if Dwight Hardy were on this team, he'd be the best player on this team.

Nobody loved Hardy more than me.  I took so much crap when I posted we'd remember him in the same breath has Hatten...and I even predicted his exact scoring #'s his senior year.

Harrison is better...it's close now, but Harrison will be the better player by the end of next season.  Harrison could be a two-year All-American for us.  He'll be a three-time All-Big East player for sure.  If he's not the Conference Rookie of the Year, an injustice has be done.  Harrison already plays better defense and is the much better rebounder.  He also has a higher 3 pt %. 

I wish we could have two scorers like that at the same time...damn, Hardy and Harrison would have been so nice!  I think that happens is 2013. 

« Reply #167 on: February 16, 2012, 06:59:06 PM »

So 21-12 and one and done is our ceiling?

Poison

« Reply #168 on: February 16, 2012, 07:04:25 PM »
Fans are hoping and talking about final fours and you advocate for the status quo-yeah we did great-one and done in

NCAA-Gonzaga bigs killed us inside-we do need some hight.

Is that what I said? No, it isn't.

« Reply #169 on: February 16, 2012, 07:05:51 PM »

Must say you are good at coming up with excuses. How about we hope coach Lavs continues to recruit well and we are just to talented to be one and done and lose to Gonzaga who got smoked in their next game. Geesch you guys have low expectations for the future of this program. Lavs got off to great recruiting start last year and even if this year turns out to be not so great (which I attribute to his illness and not being able to be on the bench which I believe has scared off some potential recruits) when coach returns to the bench next year recruiting will pick up again. Not saying we will be a perennial final four threat but at least be an occasional one.

« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2012, 07:07:10 PM »
Fans are hoping and talking about final fours and you advocate for the status quo-yeah we did great-one and done in

NCAA-Gonzaga bigs killed us inside-we do need some hight.

Is that what I said? No, it isn't.
Don't talk to me in that tone of voice! :)

MCNPA

« Reply #171 on: February 16, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »

Nobody loved Hardy more than me.  I took so much crap when I posted we'd remember him in the same breath has Hatten...and I even predicted his exact scoring #'s his senior year.

Harrison is better...it's close now, but Harrison will be the better player by the end of next season.  Harrison could be a two-year All-American for us.  He'll be a three-time All-Big East player for sure.  If he's not the Conference Rookie of the Year, an injustice has be done.  Harrison already plays better defense and is the much better rebounder.  He also has a higher 3 pt %. 

I wish we could have two scorers like that at the same time...damn, Hardy and Harrison would have been so nice!  I think that happens is 2013.

Branch, Harrison, Galan.  Maybe even Jordan or another.

« Reply #172 on: February 16, 2012, 09:16:49 PM »
In the Zags article today about Sheppard to SDSU, Lavin still sounds very optimistic about this class.  So let's keep the faith for now.
And for those of us who questioned if he was hinting at a smaller class when he tweeted "4 or 5" the other day... apparently that was baseless. 

This is the quote: (when asked about playing UCLA Saturday)
“But really coming up to this game, it’s just been more focused on continuing to elevate our team’s play and then…I’ve been expending the majority of my energy out on the road because we have to sign a class of five or six kids in April, so we’re kind of in that closing mode  as we come down the home stretch of what looks to be a very promising recruiting class.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/02/16/johnnies-take-a-recruiting-hit-as-shepard-heads-to-san-diego-state/

Let's be honest, Lavin is being forced to put on a brave face right now because he has no other choice.  It looked like we were getting two nice players in Gathers and Wood and they are no longer coming to St. John's.  We showed some serious interest in Shepard, but were joining too late in the game.  If you have time, take a look at the recruit rankings and you'll find that there is virtually nobody left for the spring signing period.  Sure, you have Sampson and Obekpa.  But let's not forget Sampson is being heavily recruited by Baylor, Florida, Kansas, and Providence.  Obekpa is being recruited by pretty much any team looking for a dominant shot blocker.  The bottom line is we are not going to have a strong recruiting class in 2012.  And the problem with that is this current team needs a lot of help.  If they fail to bring in dominant talent, they are going to continue to be a bottom feeder in 2013.

Listen, I'm not all doom and gloom.  I've been a St. John's fan my whole life and have my degree from there.  But if this school goes through another year or two of losing, it'll become just as irrelevant as it was pre-Lavin.  And don't continue to tell me tales about how the 2013 class is going to be so good.  Yeah, the 2012 class was shaping up to be pretty good until players changed their minds.

« Reply #173 on: February 16, 2012, 09:34:40 PM »
I think I remember everyone like " who the hell is Dwight Hardy?" when Norm signed him

boo3

« Reply #174 on: February 16, 2012, 09:57:52 PM »
I think I remember everyone like " who the hell is Dwight Hardy?" when Norm signed him

The man was a visionary.

« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2012, 10:03:13 PM »

The man was a visionary.

Youre not kidding. Those 9 boys were true Johnnies. An absolute pleasure watching them, Ive never met 1 of them-but ya feel like ya know them. Im hoping our guys stay around for a few years now, shitload of potential

« Reply #176 on: February 16, 2012, 10:19:22 PM »
Im not ready to push the panic button. Were still in play for sampson and obekpa. We need to land 1 of them and I believe were a bubble team next year at the very least. If we land both, sweet 16.

« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2012, 10:25:20 PM »
Im not ready to push the panic button. Were still in play for sampson and obekpa. We need to land 1 of them and I believe were a bubble team next year at the very least. If we land both, sweet 16.

WTF is Sampson waiting on? Committ or get off the pot kid. Lavin, get on the bench this Saturday. HUGE publicity, and this kids signs right there.

« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2012, 10:39:06 PM »

WTF is Sampson waiting on? Committ or get off the pot kid. Lavin, get on the bench this Saturday. HUGE publicity, and this kids signs right there.
it would be huge publicity.z i don't think it happens but I'll be at the garden early just in case the 1% chance it happens so I can give him a standing O

« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2012, 10:42:47 PM »

it would be huge publicity.z i don't think it happens but I'll be at the garden early just in case the 1% chance it happens so I can give him a standing O

MJ, at this point I think it has to happen.  Would be an absolute HUGE story, I dont care if he yaks on the court. ESPN would be all over it, give them a heads up its happening. Whoa boy, shit turns around real fast