@STJCoachLavin

• 576 replies

boo3

Re: @STJCoachLavin
« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
It's amazing to me that there are people on these boards that will find the littlest things to complain about.

Who's complaining?

« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »
It's amazing to me that there are people on these boards that will find the littlest things to complain about.

Who's complaining?

Well, your post about coach tweeting before the game seemed like you had a problem with it.

boo3

« Reply #222 on: February 20, 2012, 09:02:22 PM »
 I just asked if anyone thought is was odd?  I guess not.

Don't be so sensitive.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:03:56 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #223 on: February 20, 2012, 10:32:45 PM »
I dont find anything odd anymore on how things are handled at St Johns

desco80

« Reply #224 on: February 21, 2012, 01:01:32 AM »

+1
Hopefully next season things are back to normal

DFF6

« Reply #225 on: February 21, 2012, 08:39:44 AM »

+1
Hopefully next season things are back to normal

For those of you who need assurances about next season and Coach for next year, you should read Lenn Robbin's article in the post (link below).

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/armchair_coach_bDWYS7iJAHjjgDR4GaRInK

« Reply #226 on: February 21, 2012, 08:57:31 AM »
For those of you who need assurances about next season and Coach for next year, you should read Lenn Robbin's article in the post (link below).

Yeah, nothing says stability like living out of an unfurnished loft apartment ;D

Moose

« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2012, 08:59:25 AM »

Yeah, nothing says stability like living out of an unfurnished loft apartment ;D

But he brought the cats east.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2012, 09:09:59 AM »
I can't believe Lav is a cat guy
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

redslope

« Reply #229 on: February 21, 2012, 09:58:17 AM »

Why not?  He likes his players cat quick!

« Reply #230 on: February 21, 2012, 11:32:48 AM »
@RogRubeNYDN: Lavin's remarks last night OUGHT TO END the jabber he relapsed, doesnt want to coach anymore, doesnt love NYC or wants USC.

« Reply #231 on: February 21, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »
@RogRubeNYDN: Lavin's remarks last night OUGHT TO END the jabber he relapsed, doesnt want to coach anymore, doesnt love NYC or wants USC.

I can understand posters for other programs speculating but did/do people on this board really believe that Coach was going to either quit coaching or leave for another job???

Moose

« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2012, 11:47:18 AM »

I can understand posters for other programs speculating but did/do people on this board really believe that Coach was going to either quit coaching or leave for another job???

Yeah

People on these boards did.

Don't we have an amazing fan base :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2012, 11:50:51 AM »

Yeah, we got some drama queens around here. Like to make something out of nothing, especially if they can turn it into something juicy like coach not returning. Sad thing is they influence other posters to believe their garbage.

« Reply #234 on: February 21, 2012, 12:10:36 PM »
How much do you want to bet posters(Marillac) will continue to predict he comes back at some point this season. I think the way Lavin and the school handled this added to the confusion. Almost seems they were trying to be too secretive. Just say "Coach is healthy and will come back when he is 100% ready". That statement at beginning would have been better than all the "GM" nonsense and phone calls during games. Also even though it was strongly hinted that he was not coming back this season, they never officially came out and said that. That led to the constant Lavin coming back this game or that game or not at all. IMO while trying not to give other schools ammo against them they got to cute and it backfired.

DFF6

« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2012, 12:20:10 PM »
How much do you want to bet posters(Marillac) will continue to predict he comes back at some point this season. I think the way Lavin and the school handled this added to the confusion. Almost seems they were trying to be too secretive. Just say "Coach is healthy and will come back when he is 100% ready". That statement at beginning would have been better than all the "GM" nonsense and phone calls during games. Also even though it was strongly hinted that he was not coming back this season, they never officially came out and said that. That led to the constant Lavin coming back this game or that game or not at all. IMO while trying not to give other schools ammo against them they got to cute and it backfired.

Fair point wasju, but I think Lavin/SJU held out hope, perhaps misguidedly, that Lavin WOULD come back this season.  BTW, the Daily News article has a picture of Lavin sitting in his wingchair in his sparsely decorated SoHo apartment.  He definitely has his geek on in the picture.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/st-john-coach-steve-lavin-forced-stay-home-due-prostate-cancer-recovery-watches-works-home-win-depaul-article-1.1026140

desco80

« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2012, 12:23:03 PM »
1) Where did it say coach has cats?     I have a new found respect for cat-men.   I couldn't stand cats until the apartment building I moved into said "no dogs".   Now I have one that hunts pigeons on the fire escape.   

2) Nice of Rubin to put us all in our place.   This is the same guy who I'm pretty sure has been writing about the rumors for half the season.   

Bottom line is, some of our fan base went overboard with the Lavin is leaving rumors.   But, in fairness, there were a ton of "sources" out there; and for a long time there was no definitive answer from coach.   Once he said he'd be back a few weeks ago, that's when the whispering should have ended for good.

« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2012, 12:23:41 PM »

Hasn't Lavin said he'll come back when he's ready from the start? He already tried to come back for crying out loud. He's recovering from cancer which he had surgery on in October, it's not like he's recovering from having the flu. When he said he didn't know when he would be back he probably meant it, there's not always a set timetable when recovering from cancer. He was probably holding out hope he would be back this season which is why he never officially announced anything. We'll see how much it hurt recruiting when all is said and done, but Lavs sounds like he's got a good class lined up.

Bottom line, there would be people speculating even if he kept out of the public eye altogether and didn't do the phone interviews, just like there is speculation now. If we were having a better season there likely wouldn't be any speculation at all. But, losing causes people to be on edge, start rumors, say the program is in bad shape, etc.

crgreen

« Reply #238 on: February 21, 2012, 12:34:58 PM »

Not necessarily.  Maybe Mary Ann is a Cat Woman....

« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2012, 12:47:16 PM »
Hasn't Lavin said he'll come back when he's ready from the start? He already tried to come back for crying out loud. He's recovering from cancer which he had surgery on in October, it's not like he's recovering from having the flu. When he said he didn't know when he would be back he probably meant it, there's not always a set timetable when recovering from cancer. He was probably holding out hope he would be back this season which is why he never officially announced anything. We'll see how much it hurt recruiting when all is said and done, but Lavs sounds like he's got a good class lined up.

Bottom line, there would be people speculating even if he kept out of the public eye altogether and didn't do the phone interviews, just like there is speculation now. If we were having a better season there likely wouldn't be any speculation at all. But, losing causes people to be on edge, start rumors, say the program is in bad shape, etc.

I agree there prob would have been speculation no matter what he did.
For me personally I though the phone in's and GM talk was odd