@STJCoachLavin

• 576 replies

desco80

Re: @STJCoachLavin
« Reply #240 on: February 21, 2012, 01:58:31 PM »
How much do you want to bet posters(Marillac) will continue to predict he comes back at some point this season. I think the way Lavin and the school handled this added to the confusion. Almost seems they were trying to be too secretive. Just say "Coach is healthy and will come back when he is 100% ready". That statement at beginning would have been better than all the "GM" nonsense and phone calls during games. Also even though it was strongly hinted that he was not coming back this season, they never officially came out and said that. That led to the constant Lavin coming back this game or that game or not at all. IMO while trying not to give other schools ammo against them they got to cute and it backfired.

The program could have handled it better by saying he would be out till next year.   But really I think they took this coy approach so that it would buy time for coach to be out on the trail recruiting.
If they had said in December coach is out till next year, but then he went on to bounce around the country recruiting - there would be a huge out cry from other coaches.  10x more so than there is now.

I also think coach is sitting out the season for the players' benefit.  I think he felt that it wouldn't be fair to his team to have them coached all season by someone else while he's recruiting and then for him to jump in there all of a sudden and take over the show.   And that's a fair position in my opinion.   Coach may be at practice occasionally, but he hasn't been running the team in practice.  It would probably annoy players and staff for him to jump in this late in the game and do things his way.

sju89tr

« Reply #241 on: February 21, 2012, 06:07:43 PM »
Where's Baldi?

« Reply #242 on: February 21, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »
Where's Baldi?

Here in Rockaway. Like Ive been saying, I didnt start those rumors, they were told to me. Although alot of things can happen between now and next season, cant wait to see him back on the bench. But I will still have my doubts until it actually happens

« Reply #243 on: February 21, 2012, 07:11:46 PM »
Coach is out recruiting tonight but didn't mention where, my guess is to see Obekpa & Felix. Maybe he brought a few cats with him as part of his gang tackle approach  :)

« Reply #244 on: February 21, 2012, 07:13:22 PM »
Never mind he is in Jersey for the Lincoln St. Anthony's game. Seems odd that he would be there instead of the OSNA game
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:28:45 PM by Redstormy80 »

« Reply #245 on: February 21, 2012, 07:15:04 PM »
Never mind he is at MSG for the Lincoln St. Anthony's game. Seems odd that he would be there instead of the OSNA game

Did Anderson sign or verbal? I wonder if hes watching Fludd?

« Reply #246 on: February 21, 2012, 07:18:42 PM »
Never mind he is at MSG for the Lincoln St. Anthony's game. Seems odd that he would be there instead of the OSNA game

Anderson signed & I thought Fludd was on Boys & Girls? My best guess would be he is watching Whitehead I find that hard to believe considering he is 2014. Is there anyone else on Lincoln or St Ants that we have interest or in?

« Reply #247 on: February 21, 2012, 07:26:24 PM »

Anderson signed & I thought Fludd was on Boys & Girls? My best guess would be he is watching Whitehead I find that hard to believe considering he is 2014. Is there anyone else on Lincoln or St Ants that we have interest or in?

Ya youre right, Im shot. Should Howland get the axe, would Anderson become available?

« Reply #248 on: February 21, 2012, 07:37:17 PM »

Ya youre right, Im shot. Should Howland get the axe, would Anderson become available?

I have no clue but my impression was that he was more sold on UCLA then Howland. I think his family was moving out there anyway. Even if Howland was fired we would have to beat out Seton Hall who was said to be his second choice.

« Reply #249 on: February 21, 2012, 07:43:08 PM »
We also have Branch coming in 2nd semester.

boo3

« Reply #250 on: February 22, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »

« Reply #251 on: February 28, 2012, 03:58:53 PM »
Steve Lavin ‏ @STJCoachLavin
BIG momentum in recruiting. Positive Johnnies buzz is palpable. #STJbb, NYC, MSG, Big East Conf and entertainment center of world attractive

:up:

« Reply #252 on: February 28, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »
Standing by for particulars!

« Reply #253 on: February 28, 2012, 10:19:46 PM »
I have no inside knowledge whatsoever when it comes to recruiting, but I have a strange feeling our staff is going to really surprise us in next coming months.  It has been a trying year with players not qualifying, recruits de-committing, and team members quitting on the program -- enough to get any fan down.  But there is something about Lavin's enthusiasm that is infectious.  And whether it's him being cocky or arrogant, I believe him when he says he is going to bring in a top class.  It may not be littered with top 50 players like last year, but I think our current shortcomings will be addressed with shooters and size.

Now, I'm just interested to see who it winds up being.

LJSA

« Reply #254 on: February 29, 2012, 12:25:47 AM »
Not sure if there has been any behind-the-scenes contact, but there's one talented kid out there and Lavin is one of but a few big-time coaches who could relate to him on a certain level.

DFF6

« Reply #255 on: February 29, 2012, 12:31:09 AM »
Not sure if there has been any behind-the-scenes contact, but there's one talented kid out there and Lavin is one of but a few big-time coaches who could relate to him on a certain level.

Who??  Bennett?  Noel?  Or someone down the chart/off the radar?

LJSA

« Reply #256 on: February 29, 2012, 12:58:13 AM »

Devonta Pollard's father died of cancer, so I think both Lavin and Calhoun would be able to have a genuine heartfelt conversation with him that didn't even involve basketball. Again, not sure if there's been any silent contact, but the kid is available and hasn't taken all his visits.

« Reply #257 on: February 29, 2012, 01:08:02 AM »

Devonta Pollard's father died of cancer, so I think both Lavin and Calhoun would be able to have a genuine heartfelt conversation with him that didn't even involve basketball. Again, not sure if there's been any silent contact, but the kid is available and hasn't taken all his visits.

I would love to have that kid. Fits lavins style to a T
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

DFF6

« Reply #258 on: February 29, 2012, 08:48:52 AM »

Someone like Pollard would unquestionably be a game changer for us next season.  Heck, I think Obekpa, a solid shooting guard, J. Branch and the returning group will translate into 5-7 additional wins next season, but call me a certified member of "The Kool-Aid Club ... [a] perennial positive and always optimistic yet unrealistic loser".  Lapchick1.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:53:42 AM by DFF6 »

Marillac

« Reply #259 on: February 29, 2012, 09:55:34 AM »

Someone like Pollard would unquestionably be a game changer for us next season.  Heck, I think Obekpa, a solid shooting guard, J. Branch and the returning group will translate into 5-7 additional wins next season, but call me a certified member of "The Kool-Aid Club ... [a] perennial positive and always optimistic yet unrealistic loser".  Lapchick1.

I must be president because I think these kids are a 20 win team next year with only Branch.  The addition of Garrett shows just how important it is to have those extra kids that can get to the basket, d-up, and score.  Branch is all of those things. 

GG will be much better next year...ideally he comes off the bench, but if we have to go seven (which clearly is not going to happen) I still think we win 20 games. 

Doubting Lavin with recruiting is just silly.  To think this guy doesn't have tricks up his sleeve is like thinking Charlie Sheen is only sleeping with women we've heard him linked to.