@STJCoachLavin

• 576 replies

LJSA

Re: @STJCoachLavin
« Reply #500 on: August 07, 2012, 02:39:45 AM »
@STJCoachLavin: #STJbb Amir Garrett called up to Reds Single A team. Another young Johnnie making things happen. Positive buzz and momentum continues.

Was getting called up an expected step in his summer?

Moose

« Reply #501 on: August 07, 2012, 08:31:35 AM »
@STJCoachLavin: #STJbb Amir Garrett called up to Reds Single A team. Another young Johnnie making things happen. Positive buzz and momentum continues.

With the investment they made in him and the fact that he has to come back to school its a win win situation for him and the team.  Why not.
Remember who broke the Slice news

tnice

« Reply #502 on: August 07, 2012, 05:15:44 PM »

Amir didnt get called up to Single A. He got "called up" to a higher level team in Rookie Ball, which is a short season league for the least experienced players. A step up in competition and a nice chance for Amir to work against better players, but not unexpected. If he really got called up to a Single A team that would've been a big deal and a surprise. So, the best of all worlds for us...good news and a nice reward for Amir, but nothing which threatens his STJBB career. LOL

Rookie ball teams play about 60 games, starting in mid June and ending the first week of September, so Amir will probably only miss the last few games and be back on campus in plenty of time.

paultzman

« Reply #503 on: August 08, 2012, 01:30:47 PM »
Silly poll IMO, but Coach Lavin in good company.

“@GaryParrishCBS: Who's the most overrated coach in the country? We polled a bunch of coaches. Here are their answers: http://t.co/2B8L0CAh

Moose

« Reply #504 on: August 08, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »

“@GaryParrishCBS: Who's the most overrated coach in the country? We polled a bunch of coaches. Here are their answers: http://t.co/2B8L0CAh

Ha

Well great to be mentioned with those names.  Would rather be on this list than the thread with coaches who are so irrelevant they are called different names (ie Norm Stewart)

However is 1 yr post sabbatical really the right time to name Lavin in this poll.  The rest of these guys have coached a great deal the last decade.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #505 on: August 08, 2012, 01:43:31 PM »

Ha

Well great to be mentioned with those names.  Would rather be on this list than the thread with coaches who are so irrelevant they are called different names (ie Norm Stewart)

However is 1 yr post sabbatical really the right time to name Lavin in this poll.  The rest of these guys have coached a great deal the last decade.

Jealousy perhaps! Lavin has really gotten so much pub in short time. Screw them!

« Reply #506 on: August 08, 2012, 01:45:37 PM »
+100
i think these are coaches that other coaches fear.  can't list calipari as he won ncaa last season.

crgreen

« Reply #507 on: August 08, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »
+100
i think these are coaches that other coaches fear.  can't list calipari as he won ncaa last season.

Nice to see the Bruin fan's voted fast and furious - managed to rack up TWO for one.     Of course, when the MOST overrated Coach in the poll has a 25 year career winning percentage over 80%, 2 National Championships, 7 Final Fours,  11 Elite 8s,  15 Sweet 16s,  9 conference Coach of the Year Awards, 3 NATIONAL Coach of the Year awards, and 33 players sent to the NBA,  you gotta just stop and laugh at the lunacy.

I mean, I make fun of "Huckleberry Hound" as much as anyone.  But geeze, c'mon.    Then again, it is most overrated.   If the general consensus is he's the #1 coach, and you happen to think he's "only" #2, then hey, he IS overrated!

derk

« Reply #508 on: August 08, 2012, 04:03:10 PM »

Amir didnt get called up to Single A. He got "called up" to a higher level team in Rookie Ball, which is a short season league for the least experienced players. A step up in competition and a nice chance for Amir to work against better players, but not unexpected. If he really got called up to a Single A team that would've been a big deal and a surprise. So, the best of all worlds for us...good news and a nice reward for Amir, but nothing which threatens his STJBB career. LOL

Rookie ball teams play about 60 games, starting in mid June and ending the first week of September, so Amir will probably only miss the last few games and be back on campus in plenty of time.

It's the equivalent of him playing for the Brooklyn Cyclones if he were a Met. A ways to go.

« Reply #509 on: August 08, 2012, 04:35:21 PM »
No way is Roy Williams overrated

« Reply #510 on: August 08, 2012, 05:13:05 PM »
+100

Nice to see the Bruin fan's voted fast and furious - managed to rack up TWO for one.     Of course, when the MOST overrated Coach in the poll has a 25 year career winning percentage over 80%, 2 National Championships, 7 Final Fours,  11 Elite 8s,  15 Sweet 16s,  9 conference Coach of the Year Awards, 3 NATIONAL Coach of the Year awards, and 33 players sent to the NBA,  you gotta just stop and laugh at the lunacy.

I mean, I make fun of "Huckleberry Hound" as much as anyone.  But geeze, c'mon.    Then again, it is most overrated.   If the general consensus is he's the #1 coach, and you happen to think he's "only" #2, then hey, he IS overrated!

Great catch live here LA for last 45 years even attended UCLA, but never could understand the bruin fan base

« Reply #511 on: August 08, 2012, 05:49:23 PM »
+100

Nice try but Parrish clearly states that it was a poll of college coaches, not a fan poll.

« Reply #512 on: August 08, 2012, 05:54:56 PM »
In polls of baseball players Derek jeter always rates at or near the top. Maybe jealousy, but also the also rans are not really rated so you have to be good to be over rated-you can even be the best and be overrated as in if you say the number one guy is way better than the number 2 guy well maybe you are overrating him.

crgreen

« Reply #513 on: August 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM »
+100

Nice try but Parrish clearly states that it was a poll of college coaches, not a fan poll.

Sorry it was missed - that was  meant as a joke.

redslope

« Reply #514 on: August 08, 2012, 10:24:21 PM »
pure jealously on the overrated list as most (not all) of them would also make a list of GQ rated college BB coach dressers.  Notice Huggy Bear on the underrated list--need we say more

paultzman

« Reply #515 on: August 14, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »
More PG in cards,

“@STJCoachLavin: Big B-Day shout to D'Angelo Harrison. 
B-Day number 19 for the the combo guard with lethal scoring and playmaking skills.
Enjoy the day Dee!”

« Reply #516 on: August 14, 2012, 06:23:44 PM »
Happy birthday to D-lo and my dad, qcredman!!

paultzman

« Reply #517 on: August 16, 2012, 08:09:19 PM »
“@STJCoachLavin: Headed to Hawaii with MJ for my #STJbb assistant Rico Hines Saturday wedding ceremony.”

paultzman

« Reply #518 on: August 17, 2012, 03:30:20 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: YOU'RE INVITED: Hall Of Famer Rick Barry, Boomer And Carton To Highlight 'An Evening With #STJBB': http://t.co/IgADQewv

LJSA

« Reply #519 on: August 17, 2012, 03:54:59 PM »
Hall of Famer Rick Crazy by himself would be worth it.