Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies

redslope

Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #960 on: August 10, 2012, 09:52:39 AM »
Feel sorry for Moe.  He is going to a really, really bad team.  no hope for upcoming year after this trade.  The 76er team he left became very strong with the addition of Bynum; however, they have to sign him to an extension as he has one season left. 

the deal the Magic could have gotten from the Nets as noted about was vastly superior to this.

please somebody, rescue Moe from this oblivion.

Tha Kid

« Reply #961 on: August 10, 2012, 10:00:47 AM »
Don't feel sorry for Moe.  This is a great chance for him to get more PT and show his stuff.  May even result in a bigger FA contract for him or an early extension if all goes well!
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #962 on: August 10, 2012, 10:03:32 AM »
This makes sense on everyone's perspective except Orlando.  Don't get it.  The picks are apparently 2015, 2016, 2017...which makes sense since all those teams will be good the next couple years, BUT they are lottery protected.  Could they not at least have insisted on no lottery protection since they are, in one case, 5 years down the road?

Also why did everyone agree to this deal without the Lakers at least being forced to take on Turkoglu or Baby or someone like that?  Do people want to gift LA the title?

This trade makes one guy in the league immensely more valuable:   Kendrick Perkins.  No chance OKC ever amnesties him now.  He's the ultimate Dwight stopper.  Probably guarantees him another huge deal after this one with either OKC or another western superpower too.

Mark Cuban probably lost his lunch...breakfast...dinner from the night before, etc. upon hearing this deal.  Mavs are wasting dirk's prime years.  They may as well trade him at this point and start rebuilding.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:04:33 AM by Tha Kid »

« Reply #963 on: August 10, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »
Awful job by Orlando.

I agree that right now Moe is prob behind a few guys on the depth chart.  HOwever, when Orlando plays half its games and has something like a 8-33 record, there should be no reason to not play Moe a lot of minutes to have him develop.   
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:22:02 AM by B-Squared »

Moose

« Reply #964 on: August 10, 2012, 10:25:12 AM »
What are the reasons Orlando made this deal actually.  Like how are they spinning it.
Remember who broke the Slice news

kob24

« Reply #965 on: August 10, 2012, 10:26:55 AM »
Orlando is bugging. The lakers got a steal again this is getting ridiculous

« Reply #966 on: August 10, 2012, 11:08:28 AM »
Is the Orlando gm trying to get a job in the  laker organization ?

redslope

« Reply #967 on: August 10, 2012, 12:44:04 PM »
Is the Orlando gm trying to get a job in the  laker organization ?

NO--he wants to work for Dumb Dolan

Tha Kid

« Reply #968 on: August 10, 2012, 03:06:03 PM »
Why would the Magic not prefer Kevin Martin, some combo of Houston's young players AND UNPROTECTED LOTTERY PICKS, and Houston being willing to take on more of their crappy contracts?  How is Aflallo, Moe, and picks they may not get until 2017 which are protected worth trading Howard??

Moose

« Reply #969 on: August 10, 2012, 03:10:06 PM »
Why would the Magic not prefer Kevin Martin, some combo of Houston's young players AND UNPROTECTED LOTTERY PICKS, and Houston being willing to take on more of their crappy contracts?  How is Aflallo, Moe, and picks they may not get until 2017 which are protected worth trading Howard??

Cap space?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #970 on: August 10, 2012, 03:40:07 PM »
They just wanted to get something for Howard.  Both the Nets and Rocekts offers were better than the one they took, but those ships had sailed.  I'm glad this saga is over, and I'm happy for Moe.
@Coachnice persong

Tha Kid

« Reply #971 on: August 10, 2012, 05:11:04 PM »
Moose, Houston was supposedly willing to take back more bad contracts, and Kevin Martin is a FA after this year.  The rest of the guys were 2010, 2011, and 2012 picks (or future picks) on their rookie contracts.  I just don't see how any of this makes sense.

Orlando did receive a $19 million traded player exception here, so if they swing a deal with a team who wants to do a strict salary dump, that makes some additional sense.  Perhaps they exchange Turk or Big Baby for someone with a much worse contract, but based on their haul, it seems like they want to suck for now and get good in 5+ years, so not sure why they would even need to use this TP exception.

Tha Kid

« Reply #972 on: August 10, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »
CMCoach, how had the Rockets offer sailed?  The Rockets have tons of assets and are dying to trade for a star.  Don't see how that offer was not still available.  They may have had less ability to take on horrible contracts due to Lin and Asik, but they still had some room.

« Reply #973 on: August 10, 2012, 07:28:27 PM »
Orlando should have traded for Bynum.  The Magic GM tried to bluff for a better deal from NJ but it backfired.  The nets offer was better and even the 3 way trade rumors with Cleveland was better but I'm not sure the rockets offer was better.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #974 on: August 11, 2012, 02:21:56 AM »
Lakers get Chamberlain, Lakers get kareem, Lakers get Magic, Lakers get Kobe, Lakers get Shaq, Lakers get Dwight Howard...Knicks get.........Melo? ???

crgreen

« Reply #975 on: August 11, 2012, 04:44:09 AM »
Lakers get Chamberlain, Lakers get kareem, Lakers get Magic, Lakers get Kobe, Lakers get Shaq, Lakers get Dwight Howard...Knicks get.........Melo? ???

I'd add in Lakers get Gasol (and 2 World Championships) in there between Shaq and Howard  ;)    Who on the list doesn't really fit, tho?   (hint:  All but one were obtained via trade.   The list includes only 1 Laker draft choice.)   

sju89tr

« Reply #976 on: August 11, 2012, 09:19:34 AM »

I'd add in Lakers get Gasol (and 2 World Championships) in there between Shaq and Howard  ;)    Who on the list doesn't really fit, tho?   (hint:  All but one were obtained via trade.   The list includes only 1 Laker draft choice.)

The Lakers have been incredibly lucky as well making trades for draft picks that turn into #1 picks such as Sam Worthy. The Vlade for Kobe deal goes down as one of the best in Laker history.

redslope

« Reply #977 on: August 11, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
Orlando should have traded for Bynum.  The Magic GM tried to bluff for a better deal from NJ but it backfired.  The nets offer was better and even the 3 way trade rumors with Cleveland was better but I'm not sure the rockets offer was better.

Bynum may be a free agent after the 12/13 season same as Howard--they don't want to pay any bucks in Orlando (were the owners also in the Madoff Fund?).  if true that he is a free agent, next july could be interesting as the money flows down the turnpike from Brooklyn.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:56:06 PM by redslope »

« Reply #978 on: August 11, 2012, 02:28:25 PM »
Moose, Houston was supposedly willing to take back more bad contracts, and Kevin Martin is a FA after this year.  The rest of the guys were 2010, 2011, and 2012 picks (or future picks) on their rookie contracts.  I just don't see how any of this makes sense.

Orlando did receive a $19 million traded player exception here, so if they swing a deal with a team who wants to do a strict salary dump, that makes some additional sense.  Perhaps they exchange Turk or Big Baby for someone with a much worse contract, but based on their haul, it seems like they want to suck for now and get good in 5+ years, so not sure why they would even need to use this TP exception.

Just makes no sense not to take the Houston deal! Houston told them we have 3 first round picks in this deep draft pick which 3 players you want. Plus Martin's Exp. contract other young players and unprotected pick because lets face it Houston even with Howard would of been back in the lottery the next year & Howard was walking after this year so even more lottery picks!

Then you take back long term contracts of Affalo & AL! Makes Zero sense!

This is almost worst then the Agent 0 trade to the Magic
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

paultzman

« Reply #979 on: September 14, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »
“@moe_harkless: On campus at STJ”