Recruiting Ratings

• 46 replies

Poison

Re: Recruiting Ratings
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 07:59:49 AM »
If he gets drafted, and he's a gigantic success, this will work out for everyone. If he's drafted in the second round, struggles to stay in the league or worse yet ends up in the NBDL or Europe this will make us look undesirable. Like we did from 99-01.

This is simply not entirely true.  It can only help us.  If Harkless doesn't get drafted high or goes to a lesser league, the only one to suffer will be Moe.  If that happens, it will be chalked up to the fact that he simply left too early and took bad advice.  It will in no way change the perception of SJU.

I disagree. I believe it sends the message true or not that he didn't want to be a part of what we're building.

Moose

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 08:39:02 AM »
If he gets drafted, and he's a gigantic success, this will work out for everyone. If he's drafted in the second round, struggles to stay in the league or worse yet ends up in the NBDL or Europe this will make us look undesirable. Like we did from 99-01.

This is simply not entirely true.  It can only help us.  If Harkless doesn't get drafted high or goes to a lesser league, the only one to suffer will be Moe.  If that happens, it will be chalked up to the fact that he simply left too early and took bad advice.  It will in no way change the perception of SJU.

I disagree. I believe it sends the message true or not that he didn't want to be a part of what we're building.

Wow
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 08:41:39 AM »

That's really absurd...  Lavin and moe have a great relationship.  This decision reflects solely on Moe and Nate blue thinking Moe is first round material.  It doesn't reflect badly in any way.  What is more, you're saying that it shows he doesn't want to be part of what we're building, but only if he doesn't achieve his goals??

Foad

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 08:50:22 AM »

Absurd. Mo Harkless is a kid who wants to play in the NBA. You're a grown up who roots for a basketball team. If you think you and he have the same goals and expectations or even worse that you and the remaining players on the team have the same goals and expectations, you're displaying the worst sort of demented fan boi thinking - which is odd for someone who works as hard as you do to present himself as a cynical New York tough guy. Only women bleed I guess.

Harkless didn't want to be "part of what we're building" - I put that in quotes because I was embarassed to type it otherwise, it made me want to put on a bra and panties. If Harkless wanted to be part of anything, it was what Uconn built - a college basketball dynasty and and NBA factory - and he only left because he didn't want to be dirtied by association, which might have stopped him from attaining his ultimate goal. He came to SJ not because of any idealistic vision of rebuilding a storied franchise back to its glory days or whatever absurd formulation you chatroom poets are using to characterize Saint John's past 50 years of futility, but because NY's team, Syracuse, was out of scholarships. So he put in his mandatory year, and now he's gone. If any of the other players thought they'd get drafted they'd be gone too and good for them. While winners celebrate, losers wax sentimental.

As for not being proud of having players who leave at the first opportunity, it doesn't hurt Kentucky or UNC or all the other basketball programs to which you evidently aspire. To the contrary, thinking that kids who come to SJ owe some sort of loyalty to the university or for godsake the fans is just the sort of mom and pop small time thinking that landed this program in the toilet in the first place.

MCNPA

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 08:54:09 AM »

Absurd. Mo Harkless is a kid who wants to play in the NBA. You're a grown up who roots for a basketball team. If you think you and he have the same goals and expectations or even worse that you and the remaining players on the team have the same goals and expectations, you're displaying the worst sort of demented fan boi thinking - which is odd for someone who works as hard as you do to present himself as a cynical New York tough guy. Only women bleed I guess.

Harkless didn't want to be "part of what we're building" - I put that in quotes because I was embarassed to type it otherwise, it made me want to put on a bra and panties. If Harkless wanted to be part of anything, it was what Uconn built - a college basketball dynasty and and NBA factory - and he only left because he didn't want to be dirtied by association, which might have stopped him from attaining his ultimate goal. He came to SJ not because of any idealistic vision of rebuilding a storied franchise back to its glory days or whatever absurd formulation you chatroom poets are using to characterize Saint John's past 50 years of futility, but because NY's team, Syracuse, was out of scholarships. So he put in his mandatory year, and now he's gone. If any of the other players thought they'd get drafted they'd be gone too and good for them. While winners celebrate, losers wax sentimental.

As for not being proud of having players who leave at the first opportunity, it doesn't hurt Kentucky or UNC or all the other basketball programs to which you evidently aspire. To the contrary, thinking that kids who come to SJ owe some sort of loyalty to the university or for godsake the fans is just the sort of mom and pop small time thinking that landed this program in the toilet in the first place.

Fantastic...

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 09:05:27 AM »

That's really absurd...  Lavin and moe have a great relationship. This decision reflects solely on Moe and Nate blue thinking Moe is first round material.  It doesn't reflect badly in any way.  What is more, you're saying that it shows he doesn't want to be part of what we're building, but only if he doesn't achieve his goals??

Not true. It's from NBA scouts and GMs who have expressed strong interest in Harkless as a first round draft pick.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 09:22:50 AM »
I didn't mean to say that Harkless didn't care about SJ. If it came across that way, it wasn't what I meant. What I meant is that it could very well become the perception, because we've lived that before. And it most was the perception. Leave SJ as soon as possible.

That said, I hope he becomes he becomes the next Kevin Durant and that we never have to bring up the topic of whether or not this was a good idea or not again.

And Foad, you post rarely, and I'd like to thank you for that.

MCNPA

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 09:25:31 AM »

That's really absurd...  Lavin and moe have a great relationship. This decision reflects solely on Moe and Nate blue thinking Moe is first round material.  It doesn't reflect badly in any way.  What is more, you're saying that it shows he doesn't want to be part of what we're building, but only if he doesn't achieve his goals??

Not true. It's from NBA scouts and GMs who have expressed strong interest in Harkless as a first round draft pick.

That's well and good. But I've seen that scenario play out before and kids still drop a lot further.  Scouts and gm's can say anything they want before draft day.  Lots of gm's would love Moe even more if they landed him in the second round.  Scouts and GM's want every bit of talent accessible in the draft. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:28:19 AM by MCNPA »

crgreen

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 09:37:14 AM »

More like that there's 3 to 5 million dollars that might not be there a year from now, if this summer or next season god forbid there's a torn ACL or a fractured kneecap or......

This is an era where SECOND round picks are getting 3 million  guaranteed contracts.  If you've got assurances of first round, you really have to consider jumping.  I think both fans and potential recruits understand that.  Unless they're fans on UCLA boards who turn instantly to eating their own young (Tyler Honeycutt and Malcolm Lee morphed into cancers who's departures were "addition by subtraction" on the boards when each jumped, went 2nd round, and each made rosters for $3 mil).

Foad

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 09:42:29 AM »

In prison there are those who are grateful that they don't get too often bent over in the shower. Sort of the same thing here although I don't know that those bitches come right out and say thanks.

Chilleb

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 12:58:53 PM »
The word was that numerous coaches contacted moe and Nate and assured them moe was going in the first round
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:59:39 PM by Chilleb »

Poison

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 03:42:13 PM »
The word was that numerous coaches contacted moe and Nate and assured them moe was going in the first round

If they are wrong, they will have caused a kid to give up everything. Jeremi Richmond went pro. He went undrafted. Moe could slip to the second round. It is in no way crazy to think that's a legit possibility. A lot of guys are told that they are first round picks. It takes onions to go when you're a freshman and Chad Ford has you at 30.

MCNPA

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 04:23:18 PM »

I hope for moe that this is going to ring true on draft day.  Pretty strong draft.

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 04:26:07 PM »

In prison there are those who are grateful that they don't get too often bent over in the shower. Sort of the same thing here although I don't know that those bitches come right out and say thanks.
your keyboard = soap?   ;D

Chilleb

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 04:27:50 PM »

If they are wrong, they will have caused a kid to give up everything. Jeremi Richmond went pro. He went undrafted. Moe could slip to the second round. It is in no way crazy to think that's a legit possibility. A lot of guys are told that they are first round picks. It takes onions to go when you're a freshman and Chad Ford has you at 30.
I agree I had a long convo with the source that let me know this information and he said the selling point was his age (18) and when the doctor said moe hadn't maxed out yet height wise. Doc said he could peak out at 6'9.5 , 6'10

Moose

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »

I agree I had a long convo with the source that let me know this information and he said the selling point was his age (18) and when the doctor said moe hadn't maxed out yet height wise. Doc said he could peak out at 6'9.5 , 6'10

Good genes.
How old is Moe's little brother :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

Chilleb

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 06:40:45 PM »

Good genes.
How old is Moe's little brother :)
Lol those genes are from his dad he was about 6'7 his brother has a different dad

desco80

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 07:10:08 PM »

Moe at 6'10... wow.     I'm not expecting Moe to tear up the NBA, but at that size with his athleticism and developing skill set he could have a very very productive career.   Better than Ron, and I wasn't necessarily expecting/predicting that to be the case originally. 

gman

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 07:50:40 PM »

They can't make that assurance now. Still don't know who is coming. No idea who will have hood or bad workouts. I hope it turns true but too many variables still.

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 10:18:46 AM »
From the getgo Moe was always going to be a first rounder.  He's less mature than a lot of the huys who'll get early interest so some pretty good team drafting later is going to get a steal unless one of the bad teams has the smarts to take a shot on him.  Unfortunately NBA scouts play chalk more often than not so it's a crapshoot moneywise.