Philip Nolan - C - Riverside Univeristy HS - Milwaukee, WI - UCONN

• 196 replies

MCNPA

Re: Philip Nolan - C - Riverside Univeristy HS - Milwaukee, WI
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 06:25:05 PM »
Certainly sounds like he is going to prep.  From a Rivals.com Minnesota Golden Gophers article:

Heading into his senior year at Milwaukee Riverside Nolan had accumulated offers from the likes of Baylor, Clemson, Marquette, Minnesota, Oregon, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Texas A&M, and many others. He visited Oregon, Marquette, and Clemson last fall. But in November he didn't make a college decision. The 6-foot-10, 210 pound center ranked 118th in the class of 2012 could possibly be a member of the class of 2013.

"I still really haven't quite figured out yet what I am going to do next year," said Nolan Sunday. "I'm leaning towards going to a prep school because I need to get stronger and improve my game. If I go to prep school I will be going to St. John's Military School in Delafield, Wisconsin."

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1355544

I don't understand why a borderline top 100 big man like Nolan would prep just to get stronger.  The kid has tons of good offers already.  Only reason he preps is if he doesn't have the grades IMO, because he has big time schools offering already.

paultzman

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 06:30:55 PM »
Maybe Marquette is "storing" him away. Think they have used all ships, but could be wrong.

DFF6

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 07:55:36 PM »
Maybe Marquette is "storing" him away. Think they have used all ships, but could be wrong.

Do you really think Marq has the ability to store away a recruit like Nolan?  I mean, he has options with other schools, good schools, IF he has the grades.

Moose

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 08:01:56 PM »

Do you really think Marq has the ability to store away a recruit like Nolan?  I mean, he has options with other schools, good schools, IF he has the grades.

Yes I do think they can.  They are that good.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 08:48:33 PM »
Certainly sounds like he is going to prep.  From a Rivals.com Minnesota Golden Gophers article:

Heading into his senior year at Milwaukee Riverside Nolan had accumulated offers from the likes of Baylor, Clemson, Marquette, Minnesota, Oregon, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Texas A&M, and many others. He visited Oregon, Marquette, and Clemson last fall. But in November he didn't make a college decision. The 6-foot-10, 210 pound center ranked 118th in the class of 2012 could possibly be a member of the class of 2013.

"I still really haven't quite figured out yet what I am going to do next year," said Nolan Sunday. "I'm leaning towards going to a prep school because I need to get stronger and improve my game. If I go to prep school I will be going to St. John's Military School in Delafield, Wisconsin."

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1355544

I don't understand why a borderline top 100 big man like Nolan would prep just to get stronger.  The kid has tons of good offers already.  Only reason he preps is if he doesn't have the grades IMO, because he has big time schools offering already.

+1.   I think that "get stronger" comment is just cover because he knows he has to prep to get better grades.   If he were elidgible he'd be signing with somebody, I agree.

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 08:52:06 PM »

That is the vibe I got when reading some Marquette boards when we were first mentioned with him.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

PIB

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 09:49:52 PM »
Very vague.

Going to prep to get stronger ACADEMICALLY may be what he was referring to.

I must admit, if it was, his choice of words is pretty impressive.

Regardless, that will not help us, so...

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 10:33:46 PM »
Maybe he's hoping he can replace Noel at UK next year.

gman

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 07:46:09 AM »

Don't forget it is his home town team. Maybe its his dream to play there like the kid from cali with Harvard

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 09:29:18 AM »
It has happened where a kid is qualified but thinks he could use another year of high school.

Remember Kadeem Jack of Rice 2 years ago.  He had a boatload of offers.  Decided to commit to Rutgers but still do a post-grad year at South Kent.  He ended up withdrawing from South Kent mid-year and enrolling January of 2011 at Rutgers anyway. 

But still by all accounts he did not need another year to qualify.

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »
It has happened where a kid is qualified but thinks he could use another year of high school.

Remember Kadeem Jack of Rice 2 years ago.  He had a boatload of offers.  Decided to commit to Rutgers but still do a post-grad year at South Kent.  He ended up withdrawing from South Kent mid-year and enrolling January of 2011 at Rutgers anyway. 

But still by all accounts he did not need another year to qualify.

True.  Jack even had an offer from North Carolina if I remember correctly.

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »
That's a bigger head scratcher than Desmond Hubert!

pmg911

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 02:16:14 PM »
Remember Kadeem Jack of Rice 2 years ago.  He had a boatload of offers.  Decided to commit to Rutgers but still do a post-grad year at South Kent

that kid stinks

paultzman

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »
“@ECoastBias: Center Phil Nolan is scheduled for an official visit to #stjbb this weekend.”

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 05:42:27 PM »
would we rather have Nolan or Chandler?

NYCoffey

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 05:45:45 PM »
I'm no expert but it seems like we would want Chandler hands down.

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 05:47:13 PM »

Why not both?!  Having both can only make each of them better.

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 05:59:07 PM »

If Chandler qualifies & staff feel they can mold & motivate him, then Chandler better player.
(ranked higher #55 in 2011 vs Nolan just outside #100 in 2012)
also Chandler beefier (240 lb vs 210 ?)

But will not question staff's judgement either way & both fill only current need
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:06:27 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

paultzman

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 06:00:54 PM »

If Chandler qualifies & staff feel they can mold & motivate him, then Chandler better player.
(ranked higher #55 in 2011 vs Nolan just outside #100 in 2012)
also Chandler bigger  (6'10 vs 6'9) and beefier (240 lb vs 210 ?)

But will not question staff's judgement either way & both fill only current need

+1

desco80

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 06:49:57 PM »
Is Nolan visiting this weekend as a 2012 possibility or getting an early start for 2013?