Philip Nolan - C - Riverside Univeristy HS - Milwaukee, WI - UCONN

• 196 replies

paultzman

Re: Philip Nolan - C - Riverside Univeristy HS - Milwaukee, WI - UCONN
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2012, 02:47:17 PM »
After conversing with a buddy of mine, I remain confident that good news, not a stop gap measure, awaits us. We'll see. At least I can stop grousing about Nolan for the moment. "Stellar Class"!

Gumby

« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2012, 02:48:17 PM »
Not surprised that he is not coming here as I thought he would have committed on Monday.
I am shocked that he picked UCon with all the negative stuff happening there.
Not sure Coach C. will there behind the year or two.
I still would not write off Chris O.

Chilleb

« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2012, 03:01:01 PM »
If chandler dosent qualify and Chris likes the scenery in cincy better I say we hold off and go severe and Lawrence in 13  ;)

paultzman

« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2012, 03:04:58 PM »
If chandler dosent qualify and Chris likes the scenery in cincy better I say we hold off and go severe and Lawrence in 13  ;)

Persistent guy Chille! Not a bad idea though! BTW, since we have not been on Severe to my knowledge, could we get back in with him? Some kids just like to get away.

Happy

« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »

Persistent guy Chille! Not a bad idea though! BTW, since we have not been on Severe to my knowledge, could we get back in with him? Some kids just like to get away.

It would be tough.. But not impossible from what I have been told.

« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2012, 03:10:45 PM »

Is there any way that Lawrence can reclassify to 2012?  By all accounts he was in good academic standing when he transfered high schools and cited academics as a reason to make the move.  Drummond reclassified even later in the year last year, right?

Chilleb

« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2012, 03:11:13 PM »

Heck it's worth a try for his skill set. But knowing us he'll land at cincy and go for 26 and 10 as a freshman at carnesecca in a 30 point rout

Moose

« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2012, 03:27:01 PM »
didnt see this coming there was never any indication that he was in ka-hoots with these guys. plus they dont even have a relevant program next year!!??!!

Guess he sees sure fire PT up there.
and not here?

Not with the other big man looming.
chandler hasnt been cleared yet and to nolan's knowledge we had only 1 ship left

Nolan knew of our scholarship situation and the desire to bring in both.  He must have went home and thought it over and felt why fight with a higher ranked player as well as Gift who played a full year already.

Why not prep though instead of spending a year in exile up in Storrs.  If he liked NYC, what did he think of Storrs.
Remember who broke the Slice news

ras

« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2012, 03:41:21 PM »
A really surprising decision and out of left field. Due to his height alone, he would have seen serious minutes and an increased role once Gift leaves next year. Echoing what's been said above, he must have caught wind of Chris O, Chandler or Raffington fitting into that picture instead...

Rediculous if Raffington is a primary consideration. Kid can't play. Hold the scholly rather than give him one IMO.
+1

paultzman

« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2012, 04:03:10 PM »
Thus the value of visits! Kids today too often act impulsively or are influenced by who knows what.

“@AdamZagoria: Just talked briefly to Phil Nolan by phone. Said he committed to UConn. I'm told he didn't visit. More coming.”

“@AdamZagoria: Phil Nolan to UConn http://t.co/mdwlAI3U
Even some source was surprised about choice.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 04:08:30 PM by paultzman »

Happy

« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2012, 04:10:49 PM »
This is just really strange to me.  I mean no visit? 

paultzman

« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2012, 04:14:59 PM »
This is just really strange to me.  I mean no visit? 

And UConn never on any lists I saw recently

Moose

« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »
Some might think this is sour grapes, but in all honestly Nolan would have been cherry on top of the Chandler cake.  Still would have loved him here.  That being said something doesn't smell right here.  Visits STJ loves it from what public sees and what I heard, then he pops for a school he hasn't visited, that has gutted roster with NCAA violations next year, when even if he didn't pick STJ he could have prepped and been bigger commodity next year. 

Wreaks of Calhoun desperation

SMH

paultzman

« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2012, 04:18:38 PM »
Some might think this is sour grapes, but in all honestly Nolan would have been cherry on top of the Chandler cake.  Still would have loved him here.  That being said something doesn't smell right here.  Visits STJ loves it from what public sees and what I heard, then he pops for a school he hasn't visited, that has gutted roster with NCAA violations next year, when even if he didn't pick STJ he could have prepped and been bigger commodity next year. 

SMH

The ghost of Nate Miles returns!!

« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »

SMH

At the end of the day its still UCONN & Jim Calhoun. It seems strange but they could have been on him before and just never mentioned him. Even with the violations there track record speaks for itself

Chilleb

« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »

SMH
$$$

Happy

« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2012, 04:22:29 PM »

SMH

Well said.. Not visiting or not listing them and then commiting ?  Desperation indeed

Moose

« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2012, 04:25:57 PM »

SMH

At the end of the day its still UCONN & Jim Calhoun. It seems strange but they could have been on him before and just never mentioned him. Even with the violations there track record speaks for itself

They would have been mentioned in some way.  This day in age with social media domination.  I know Calhoun has done so much, but college is a 4 yr choice in most cases.  If you were a betting man do you think he is there by the time Nolan is a Sr?  Its too much out of LF for me.  If he prepped or went to Marquette I wouldnt think twice. 

« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2012, 04:28:18 PM »
We still NEED another big.