Philip Nolan - C - Riverside Univeristy HS - Milwaukee, WI - UCONN

• 196 replies

ras

Re: Philip Nolan - C - Riverside Univeristy HS - Milwaukee, WI - UCONN
« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »
How does he commit w/o meeting the coach? Why not wait? Strange.

« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2012, 07:35:54 PM »
He's a kid that's been to 4 high schools, so a rash decision is not totally unexpected.  But is it common for a coach to offer and accept a commitment without ever having met a kid?  That screams desperation on UConn's part.  I guess with the current turmoil, it makes sense to take a quality recruit even if you've never met the kid.

Moose

« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »
Can't wait for Jakarr to dunk all over him this year. :tickedoff:
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2012, 07:45:17 PM »
It's no secret UConn needed a big. Kevin Ollie followed Bradley Hayes around 2 weeks ago (I don't think Hayes is that good) and they were going to give a ship and playing time to someone.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2012, 07:48:39 PM »
It's no secret UConn needed a big. Kevin Ollie followed Bradley Hayes around 2 weeks ago (I don't think Hayes is that good) and they were going to give a ship and playing time to someone.

That's been obviously clear. The issue is the way this unfolded. Time to move on, but puzzling!

« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2012, 07:56:16 PM »

That's been obviously clear. The issue is the way this unfolded. Time to move on, but puzzling!

How what unfolded?

St. John's hopped on Nolan late just as many others did. He came for a visit but signed with a Big East school who recently won a national title and where he can get immediate playing time. This really isn't puzzling. Nolan would have been icing on the cake for St. John's class where as he's a necessity for UConn. 

Marillac

« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2012, 07:59:23 PM »
Can't wait for Jakarr to dunk all over him this year. :tickedoff:

If he's on the court this year for Uconn a lot, they are in trouble.  Sampson would bully him physically.

« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2012, 08:00:27 PM »

How what unfolded?

St. John's hopped on Nolan late just as many others did. He came for a visit but signed with a Big East school who recently won a national title and where he can get immediate playing time. This really isn't puzzling. Nolan would have been icing on the cake for St. John's class where as he's a necessity for UConn.

I think committing without even meeting the head coach is a bit strange.

paultzman

« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2012, 08:04:49 PM »

How what unfolded?

Thanks for education on UConn recent accomplishments! I am still surprised by the sudden change in direction and fact his HS coach was apparently taken aback. I am not inferring any misdeeds, but IMO nothing shocks me with UConn. I will move on and defer to your infinite wisdom.

Happy

« Reply #169 on: May 03, 2012, 08:32:33 PM »
Much as I hate Uconn, it sounds like Nolan was driven by who could guarantee him the most minutes, and Calhoun made him an offer he couldn't refuse.  Of course, I wouldn't trust Calhoun as far as I could throw him, but Nolan apparently bought in.  Wish him well.

Bizarre recruitment .. We don't have a true center on our roster and maybe he doesn't want to play the 5 in college.  Either way if he came here he would have to compete for minutes.  He chose Uconn .. I'd prefer the kid who wants to compete.  Next option.

« Reply #170 on: May 03, 2012, 08:54:41 PM »
Wish him the best of luck.  He probably sensed we were holding back a bit, feeling like a second choice to Chandler or Obekpa.

« Reply #171 on: May 03, 2012, 10:04:35 PM »
Maybe Calhoun shows up drunk to their first meeting and Phillip de-commits and signs with us after all. :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:05:19 PM by Celtics11 »

MCNPA

« Reply #172 on: May 04, 2012, 02:18:54 AM »
Much as I hate Uconn, it sounds like Nolan was driven by who could guarantee him the most minutes, and Calhoun made him an offer he couldn't refuse.  Of course, I wouldn't trust Calhoun as far as I could throw him, but Nolan apparently bought in.  Wish him well.

Bizarre recruitment .. We don't have a true center on our roster and maybe he doesn't want to play the 5 in college.  Either way if he came here he would have to compete for minutes.  He chose Uconn .. I'd prefer the kid who wants to compete.  Next option.

Oriakhi, Bradley and top 10 player DeAndre Daniels didn't even get the PT they wanted on a crappy Uconn team last year.  Call me crazy but I think Nolan will get less PT under Jim Calhoun than he would have gotten at SJU.  Lavin would have had him in the rotation.  Stuttering Jim benched his McD's AA center Oriakhi, and even Roscoe last year who had gotten Uconn to that national championship.  Nolan commits to a school without visiting, meeting the coach and who is on NCAA violation barred from tourney play.  I'm sorry, but there's something really odd there. 

« Reply #173 on: May 04, 2012, 02:43:02 AM »
Obekpa has been out for quite some time. Chandler will be here pending some academic issues. The staff of course is making sure if something happens with Chandler they're not left empty handed so they are looking at other bigs too as they should.

Straight from UConn staff they needed a big who could play right away. Nolan signs therefore they must have told him the same thing. Nolan went to 4 different high schools and completely narrowed, opened, narrowed, opened his list so nothing should come as a shock. UConn is a nice choice for him.

MCNPA

« Reply #174 on: May 04, 2012, 02:55:49 AM »
Obekpa has been out for quite some time. Chandler will be here pending some academic issues. The staff of course is making sure if something happens with Chandler they're not left empty handed so they are looking at other bigs too as they should.

Straight from UConn staff they needed a big who could play right away. Nolan signs therefore they must have told him the same thing. Nolan went to 4 different high schools and completely narrowed, opened, narrowed, opened his list so nothing should come as a shock. UConn is a nice choice for him.

I guess I'm skeptical Dave, both when it comes to Uconn and a kid that has never even visited the campus.  I am still really hoping Chandler gets pushed through by the NCAA, but I have no idea how close or far away he is?  I know staff will do due diligence.  Just slightly surprised about Nolan.  He doesn't have a ton of competition at center here either, unless Chandler comes on board.  Maybe Nolan doesn't want to have to wait on Chandler who woould certainly command lion's share of center minutes over Nolan who physically isn't ready yet. 

Happy

« Reply #175 on: May 04, 2012, 06:44:41 AM »

I agree that it is a good choice for him .. Provided he gets the playing time of course .  I wish we could get a 6'10 kid to commit to us without seeing the school or meeting the staff. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:45:25 AM by Happy »

sju89tr

« Reply #176 on: May 04, 2012, 08:07:11 AM »

I agree that it is a good choice for him .. Provided he gets the playing time of course .  I wish we could get a 6'10 kid to commit to us without seeing the school or meeting the staff.

We did one before....his name was Curtis Johnson....and he was 7'4" LOL

« Reply #177 on: May 04, 2012, 08:28:29 AM »

Bingo.  Nobody disputes that UCONN needs a big man.  That doesn't mean if they landed Tony Parker eyebrows are not raised considering Tony Parker never visited, seem to love his other visits and UCONN is taking on water in terms of losing players and no post-season next year.  Obviously Nolan is not Parker, but you see what I mean.  It is not that UCONN is not allowed to land a big man or do well or that Coach Calhoun cannot recruit. 

But the point is you can count on one hand the number of players who visit one school, say they love the city and love the school and indicate to people close to them that they love those things and then a few days later verbal to a school they did not even visit or even meet the coach.  I am sorry that does not happen often at all let alone all the bad things at UCONN recently and Calhoun's status.  I know they won a NC in 2011.  That has not stopped numerous players WHO ARE ALREADY on the team from jumping ship already.  And again those are players who are already there.

But again Dave's other point is right, we have options including a really good one.  Let's move on.

NYCoffey

« Reply #178 on: May 04, 2012, 08:33:54 AM »
I was thinking that Calhoun was pulling the same trick he did with drummond. No visit, no recruitment, you don't have to use a BB schollie on him. But I would think Uconn has scholarships available with transfers and graduates.

Moose

« Reply #179 on: May 04, 2012, 08:35:24 AM »
I was thinking that Calhoun was pulling the same trick he did with drummond. No visit, no recruitment, you don't have to use a BB schollie on him. But I would think Uconn has scholarships available with transfers and graduates.

But Uconn recruited Drummond plenty.  And he visited the campus unofficially a number of times as he was local kid.
Remember who broke the Slice news