So let's recap

• 53 replies
So let's recap
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:46:49 PM »
Let's have some fun...

Beginning late last summer SJU thought they were staring at a big time young team and an incoming stud recruit in Rico Gathers, another in Darrick Wood and possibly the favorite for Kyle Anderson.

Then bad news seem to come out everyday.  First Pelle, Sampson and Garrett fail to qualify.  Sampson and Pelle later de-commit.  Gathers de-commits.  Wood de-commits.  Anderson chooses UCLA.

Lavin has cancer.  Nuri Lindsey quits team.  Stith leaves team.  Team struggles with youth and  lack of depth and tough schedule.  The fan base is restless.  Some are wondering if Lavin can put a good class together.  As of early March SJU has no verbals for 2012 and 1 transfer, Jamal Branch.

Fast forward 4 months.  Lavin is 100% healthy and showing his recruiting oats.  Despite heavy interest from the likes of Kansas he gets Sampson back in the fold.  Lands a real late bloomer in Balamou.  Adds Max Hooper as a transfer.  Lands JUCO #3 Orlando Sanchez and his teammate Marco.  Then re-ups Wood, may switch to 2013 but nevertheless back on board.  And now Obepka.

Really a stunning turnaround and it shows Lavin is in a different class as a recruiter then most coaches.  I think back to Norm's class in '08.  He failed to land his top targets in the early signing period--Mookie and Kevin Jones along with Syl.  He ends up with Quincy Roberts, Phil Wait and Ty Edmondson. 

Just think about that for second in terms of difference in recruiting.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:55:49 PM by fordham96 »

boo3

Re: So let's recap
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:11:22 PM »
 But he was a nice guy, so who cares...  ;D

Seriously, an incredible job by Lav and the entire staff.  Other coaches in the league ( whatever the league is or will be) will be taking notice. It's only a matter of time until the Garden is the place to be for college basketball.  Those of you who haven't had a chance yet to experience that, are in for a treat.   It will be special.  Nothing better than when STJ has a great, nationally competitive team.

MCNPA

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:12:58 PM »
Let's have some fun...

Beginning late last summer SJU thought they were staring at a big time young team and an incoming stud recruit in Rico Gathers, another in Darrick Wood and possibly the favorite for Kyle Anderson.

Then bad news seem to come out everyday.  First Pelle, Sampson and Garrett fail to qualify.  Sampson and Pelle later de-commit.  Gathers de-commits.  Wood de-commits.  Anderson chooses UCLA.

Lavin has cancer.  Nuri Lindsey quits team.  Stith leaves team.  Team struggles with youth and  lack of depth and tough schedule.  The fan base is restless.  Some are wondering if Lavin can put a good class together.  As of early March SJU has no verbals for 2012 and 1 transfer, Jamal Branch.

Fast forward 4 months.  Lavin is 100% healthy and showing his recruiting oats.  Despite heavy interest from the likes of Kansas he gets Sampson back in the fold.  Lands a real late bloomer in Balamou.  Adds Max Hooper as a transfer.  Lands JUCO #3 Orlando Sanchez and his teammate Marco.  Then re-ups Wood, may switch to 2013 but nevertheless back on board.  And now Obepka.

Really a stunning turnaround and it shows Lavin is in a different class as a recruiter then most coaches.  I think back to Norm's class in '08.  He failed to land his top targets in the early signing period--Mookie and Kevin Jones along with Syl.  He ends up with Quincy Roberts, Phil Wait and Ty Edmondson. 

Yeah, Lavin is doing this in some "down" years, with a little cancer sprinkled in.  Imagine how he'll get rolling now that he is healthy, Moe gets drafted and we are winning big?  He really turned this class into an excellent one all around with player's of every type that fit all our needs.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:07:21 PM »
How about those other guys Norm recruited?

Foad

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 10:16:08 PM »
Lavin is in a different class as a recruiter then most coaches. I think back to Norm's class in '08.  He failed to land his top targets in the early signing period--Mookie and Kevin Jones along with Syl.  He ends up with Quincy Roberts, Phil Wait and Ty Edmondson. 

I don't want to put words in your mouth - are you saying that TGAPL is a better recruiter than was Norm? If so, should prove controversial.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 10:20:50 PM »

What about them and what does that have to do with missing your top targets and going into the spring with no signees?

I'll answer that for you, absolutely nothing.

But just to recap for you because apparently you missed his 6 years as a coach, they went 32-60 in BE play with 1  NIT appearance and 5 finishes of 13th or worse and he was subsequently fired.  Did you take your stupid pills this morning like the doctor prescribed them?

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 10:25:20 PM »
You're first sentence mentions 2 top targets who went elsewhere

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 10:27:39 PM »

You don't know what a sentence is so your point is irrelevent.

Use water before you gulp.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 10:29:09 PM »

Stop talking with Lavin in your mouth.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 10:31:24 PM »

You're is a contraction from YOU ARE.

So in closing you wrote: YOU ARE FIRST SENTENCE MENTIONS @ TOP TARGETS WHO WENT ELEWHERE

Enough said.

desco80

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 10:32:34 PM »

HAHAHAHAAAA
ahh.  that was good.   :2funny:

But your original post was very good Fordham.   Tremendous job by the staff in the face of some pretty heavy headwind. 
Foad is correct though, it doesn't say much to compare him to Norm.   But the recruiting accomplishments this season are significant, and stand up well against any coach or program.  Now we just have to see him translate that to success on the court. 
And there's no reason to think he won't... there's rightfully a lot of optimism around the program.

Today isn't a day to bash Norm.   I look forward to the day when the first reaction on this board is to compare what Lavin is doing to what Louie did or to what Calhoun, Boheim, or Pitino have done.    Hopefully we can move past the days of comparing him to Norm.   It's not a fair comparison. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:39:45 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 10:32:50 PM »

You're is a contraction from YOU ARE.

So in closing you wrote: YOU ARE FIRST SENTENCE MENTIONS @ TOP TARGETS WHO WENT ELEWHERE

Enough said.

Some peoples children

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 10:40:04 PM »

Dude you are the f'ing man.  I have never been embarrassed like this from someone with an Iona diploma.

I will keep quiet now. 

What would this board be without your daily posts?  Only our Savior knows. 

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 10:42:36 PM »

Dude you are the f'ing man.  I have never been embarrassed like this from someone with an Iona diploma.

I will keep quiet now. 

What would this board be without your daily posts?  Only our Savior knows. 

Redmen.com

Tha Kid

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 08:48:53 AM »
Fordham, good original post.  But making fun of someone for a lack of care for the English language on a sports message board is as dorky and absurd as it gets.  We already have dr. Fun, stick to bball...like baldi is happy when at johns is good but happiest when Iona is better than at johns...which is why he loved norm.    C'mon man. 
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 09:03:52 AM »
Fordham, good original post.  But making fun of someone for a lack of care for the English language on a sports message board is as dorky and absurd as it gets.  We already have dr. Fun, stick to bball...like baldi is happy when at johns is good but happiest when Iona is better than at johns...which is why he loved norm.    C'mon man. 

When everything else fails miserably, go after the punctation and grammar

derk

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 09:31:48 AM »
Lavin is in a different class as a recruiter then most coaches. I think back to Norm's class in '08.  He failed to land his top targets in the early signing period--Mookie and Kevin Jones along with Syl.  He ends up with Quincy Roberts, Phil Wait and Ty Edmondson. 

I don't want to put words in your mouth - are you saying that TGAPL is a better recruiter than was Norm? If so, should prove controversial.

Fun,

Remind me, and possibly others on the board, what your TGAPL stands for.

Moose

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 09:35:36 AM »

Fun,

I think its THE GREAT AND POWERFUL LAVIN
Remember who broke the Slice news

derk

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 09:53:35 AM »

Fun,

Thanks Moose. How appropriate.

I think its THE GREAT AND POWERFUL LAVIN

derk

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 09:59:15 AM »
So what do you think, is it time for a huge recap article in the NY papers to tell the new SJU story. They can basically use your recap as the starting point. No research involved. Let's go media. Blow this up to the big story it is.

Then do it again after Moe gets drafted.