2012-2013 Expectations

• 43 replies

Gumby

2012-2013 Expectations
« on: June 13, 2012, 12:44:57 PM »
Okay, we have Chris on board and recent topics on such items as recapping past and present developments, who the fifth starter will be, etc. have generated a good deal of interest.  Now how about expectations for the coming season based on what we know right now, with two large unknowns out there (the development of current/ incoming players and the status of both Wood and Chandler).

I would like us to:
*  Win 20+ games.
*  Beat Syracuse and Pitt.
*  Do well (semi-finals) in the BET.
*  Make the NCAA and win a game or two.

uwsfan

Re: 2012-2013 Expectations
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 01:23:12 PM »
Finish with about 20 wins and near bottom of top 25. Win a game (maybe two) in the tourney
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:24:05 PM by uwsfan »

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
NIT, next year we go big.

crgreen

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 01:46:01 PM »
Finish with about 20 wins and near bottom of top 25. Win a game (maybe two) in the tourney

Don't think 20 wins gets us anywhere close to top 25.   In the good old days where teams played a max of 30 games (post season included), yeah.  But these days of 30+ REGULAR season schedules and 350+ D-1 teams, I think 23-24 wins would be a minimum.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 01:59:24 PM »
NIT should be the goal.

boo3

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »
8 seed in the Ncaa

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 02:02:40 PM »
 :-* what nit?  goal is ncaa .... otherwise forget it

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 02:16:46 PM »
NIT should be the goal.

No way is NIT goal for this year.
NIT (means we're outside of top 40) is minimum, and a minor disappointment.

With returners 1 yr more experience, and quality of recruits coming in (only 3 of 6 are freshmen)
I expect eoy ranking 25-40, possibly win 1 in NCAA.

"Goal" is sweet 16
Molloy '71

Tha Kid

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »
Goal is NCAA and win a game or two.  Don't get too upset at NIT if we are on the bubble and barely miss.  Baldi and WASJU are right that NIT is possible, but the "goal" has to be NCAA as this group is going to be on the bubble - gotta strive high.  2013-2014 is when we expect a top 4 seed and a run.

With Moe back, this team would be making this run this year - but since he's going to be a lottery pick (my prediction), have to say he made a good decision for himself.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 02:23:31 PM »
Agree kid, with Moe we should be preseason top 25

ras

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »
Of course NCAA should be the goal.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »
Win over 20 games, don't lose a lot of non-conference games, make the NCAA (not the NIT, or it's 2 sorry sister tournaments), beat the ever loving crap out of that thug Cincinnati team. Even beat SUcks. This is one year that I think I'll actually hate a team more than Sorrycuse, the Cincinnati Thugs. ;D

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 04:12:58 PM »
March Madness or bust.  It's our time boys!

desco80

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 04:26:19 PM »
Goal ? - NCAA berth, or a win in the tourny.   Good goals.

What do I think will happen?  - bubble team, NIT bid 

I know it's not his M.O., but I think coach can do this team a favor and load the early part of the schedule with "beatable" teams.  We play in Charleston, and host South Carolina, but other than that I'd like to see very manageable games.   No St Marys, no A-10 teams, no Detroit or Leigh type teams.   We'll have at least 3 meaningful games between the Charleston tournament and the BE/SEC thing, that's more than enough.
Both of the last two seasons we've seen it takes new players half a season or more to get comfortable in the matchup zone.   We return a few starters, but are going to have a lot of fresh faces too ... if we're going to be a bubble team it'll behoove us not to have avoidable losses to mid-majors in November/December. 

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 04:55:12 PM »
Big East is down this year So i am say goal is the NCAA berth & Top 25 team. But if we won the NIT I would be ecstatic as well great TV exposure , more time for a young team to gel and we would be on our home court. 
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

sju89tr

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
We have an NCAA team (not even bubble in my opinion with the coaching we have). The NIT would be a failure. Not to be harsh but our soph players have tons of experience and we have a lot of weapons and a diverse roster.

crgreen

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »

I know it's not his M.O., but I think coach can do this team a favor and load the early part of the schedule with "beatable" teams.  We play in Charleston, and host South Carolina, but other than that I'd like to see very manageable games.   No St Marys, no A-10 teams, no Detroit or Leigh type teams.   We'll have at least 3 meaningful games between the Charleston tournament and the BE/SEC thing, that's more than enough.
Both of the last two seasons we've seen it takes new players half a season or more to get comfortable in the matchup zone.   We return a few starters, but are going to have a lot of fresh faces too ... if we're going to be a bubble team it'll behoove us not to have avoidable losses to mid-majors in November/December.

IF you really think we're a bubble team, then you should be hoping for the toughest possible schedule.  This is an era when 25 win teams are excluded from the Dance for weak scheduling, while 17 and 18 win teams with tough schedules get their tickets punched.

Remember, I live in Blacksburg, home of Virginia Tech - where a team can finish 4th in the ACC, win 23 games, sweep North Carolina, and still end up in the NIT.

desco80

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 05:33:01 PM »

IF you really think we're a bubble team, then you should be hoping for the toughest possible schedule.  This is an era when 25 win teams are excluded from the Dance for weak scheduling, while 17 and 18 win teams with tough schedules get their tickets punched.

Remember, I live in Blacksburg, home of Virginia Tech - where a team can finish 4th in the ACC, win 23 games, sweep North Carolina, and still end up in the NIT.

Very true, CR.  There's a balance in terms of strength of schedule, no doubt.   My viewpoint is that if we can escape the early season without any "slipups", by the time conference play comes around we'll be in a position to knock off a ranked team, and earn some quality wins.  I can't see us doing that right out of the gate.  But certainly if you don't play the big teams, you can get hurt for that too.   It seems like Va tech got a raw deal 3 years ago.  But they didn't beat Carolina twice, you might want to double check that.
But your point is a solid one, 23 wins in the ACC should earn you a birth. 

For this year, I just think a couple bad losses in November, and we might never be able to recover in the eyes of the selection committee.  Because I don't see us knocking off 6 ranked teams like we did a few years ago.

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 06:28:21 PM »

Schedules are made in advance and we may have contracts with teams like Duke and UCLA. Early losses against good teams don't necessarily hurt but upsets by weaker teams do.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
NCAAa is our goal as fans, but I do not like it when a team sets that as their goal. Their goal is to win the national championship.