Christian Jones - PF - IMG Academy - Arlington, TX - ST. JOHN'S

• 217 replies

paultzman

Re: Christian Jones - PF - IMG Academy - Arlington, TX - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2012, 07:30:30 PM »
Sure it is the usual stuff hastily put together, but to those who subscribe;

“@NYCHoops: Christian Jones says he's ready for the #BigEast. http://t.co/sVDZ17Yd #STJBB #goredstorm #collegehoops”

« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »

“@NYCHoops: Christian Jones says he's ready for the #BigEast. http://t.co/sVDZ17Yd #STJBB #goredstorm #collegehoops”

Link to the same story from July 14th that I posted a few posts ago.

paultzman

« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2012, 09:07:20 PM »

Link to the same story from July 14th that I posted a few posts ago.

Oops

paultzman

« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2012, 10:38:18 AM »
“@STJ_Basketball: Forward Christian Jones Rounds Out @STJCoachLavin's Eight-Man #STJBB Recruiting Class: http://t.co/5cOmrFz1

Formal announcement w rediculous recruiting rating again!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:50:28 AM by paultzman »

crgreen

« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2012, 11:25:01 AM »
“@STJ_Basketball: Forward Christian Jones Rounds Out @STJCoachLavin's Eight-Man #STJBB Recruiting Class: http://t.co/5cOmrFz1

Nice to finally see some high school #s on Christian.  Again begs the question - how the heck does a kid who averages 12/5 on a nationally ranked team with SEVEN other D-1 signees, go totally unranked  by the various recruiting organizatioins?

Poison

« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2012, 12:11:01 PM »

Nice to finally see some high school #s on Christian.  Again begs the question - how the heck does a kid who averages 12/5 on a nationally ranked team with SEVEN other D-1 signees, go totally unranked  by the various recruiting
organizatioins?

That's an excellent question.

« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »
Well- I'm glad to have Christian aboard and never saw him play,  but 15 pts & 6 rebs
 as a senior in HS dont scream top 150 ( I'd bet we've had walk ons that averaged better)

I can discount the reduced #'s (12.0/5.0) @ IMG as being in a stacked team so less minutes.

Stats dont say everything, but without knowing the intangibles (that our staff obviously does)
him not being ranked doesnt seem like a huge oversight.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:39:39 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2012, 12:45:01 PM »
Also means it is impossible for evaluators to see and evaluate everyone. When you watch a game can you even truly evaluate more than one or two players? If you are trying to evaluate a particular player don't you basically need to keep your eyes on him all the time to see how and what he is doing even off the ball?

« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »
thanks coach

« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2012, 02:02:42 PM »
thanks coach
When you are called up from the practice squad then you can comment. :)

Moose

« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2012, 02:38:08 PM »
Well- I'm glad to have Christian aboard and never saw him play,  but 15 pts & 6 rebs
 as a senior in HS dont scream top 150 ( I'd bet we've had walk ons that averaged better)

I can discount the reduced #'s (12.0/5.0) @ IMG as being in a stacked team so less minutes.

Stats dont say everything, but without knowing the intangibles (that our staff obviously does)

Sure some walkons might have averged that. But doesnt guarantee them getting a ship.

Thats 1 less basket and one less rebound in presumably less minutes vs. better competition at IMG.  Too many factors you can make assumptions on without watching full games.  What kind of offense was run?  Did they have chucking happy guards?  Was he double teamed a lot?  Blowouts where minutes might be reduced? 

I agree its unsual that he was not recruited at all.  Even academic risks are recruited.

Interesting note Jones played D-Lo and D-Lo's had 29 in his teams win.

http://www.maxpreps.com/contests/zvDbfm7QcUibGaT679aIdg/basketball-winter-10-11/boxscore-bowie-arlington-vs-fort-bend-dulles-sugar-land.htm
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2012, 03:26:36 PM »

According to Maxpreps  http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/7T4_J5xWREOBs3wklmWk-Q/basketball-winter-11-12/stats-nerlens-noel.htm  Nerlens Noel averaged 12 pts and 7 rebounds this past season at Tilton.   

Our own Amir Garrett averaged 12 pts and 5 rebounds at Findlay Prep.

Other IMG teammates  - Jordan Dickerson is going to SMU to play for Larry Brown  after a 10pt/8reb year at IMG.  It looks like OK State commit Kamari Murphy averaged 13/7.

Moose

« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2012, 03:28:46 PM »

According to Maxpreps  http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/7T4_J5xWREOBs3wklmWk-Q/basketball-winter-11-12/stats-nerlens-noel.htm  Nerlens Noel averaged 12 pts and 7 rebounds this past season at Tilton.   

Other IMG teammates  - Jordan Dickerson is going to SMU to play for Larry Brown  after a 10pt/8reb year at IMG.  It looks like OK State commit Kamari Murphy averaged 13/7.

I was going to use Noel too but Blocks set him apart.  Good job finding the others.

Rivals used to have stats on their pages but I spot checked a few and didnt see any.

crgreen

« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2012, 06:19:06 PM »

I was going to use Noel too but Blocks set him apart.  Good job finding the others.

Rivals used to have stats on their pages but I spot checked a few and didnt see any.

Unfortunately the recruiting Gurus have migrated away from reporting stats.   In evaling kids, they report on body type, explosiveness, length, "feel" - a lot of stuff that while measureable, is really in the eye of the beholder.   If if they're a guru with a good track record, I have no problem with that.  It's just it's gone to the EXTREME - stats DO have a place in recruiting.   Yes you have to put them in perspective, mitigate them with a lot of other factors.   But a Noel, supposedly the NUMBER ONE recruit in the country at 6'10, only pulls down 7 boards a game?  Sorry - that's a major red flag.  Maybe it means you have to more for those mitigating circumstances, but a red flag nonetheless.  What REALLY ticks me off is that you can almost NEVER find  one of the MOST important high school stats:  Free Throw Percentage.   The one stat that really (statistically) doesn't change from HS to College.   The shot is 15 feet way at a 10 foot hoop no matter what level you're playing at once you hit middle school.   In addition to being a relative constant, a strong FT% also is an indication of a decent midrange shot.    I get so tired of getting my hopes up over some supposed great scoring guard or wing, and have him show up with  no midrange game, and a bricklayer at the line.  If someone had told me the kid hit 53% FTs in high school, rather than that he was "long and explosive with great feel", I'd have had a better idea what to expect!

End of rant :)

« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2012, 10:11:11 PM »
Put aside the rankings for a sec, my guess is there was some good interest in him.

By not being ranked and having his recruitment end so late when so many of recruiting gurus are focused on the upcoming summer AAU events that makes it is easy to get overlooked.   My guess is the interest from schools like Auburn and Okie St was legit and probably ran deeper.  Also he was probably a late qualifier which may have held off other offers.

Also if you remember a few months ago Lavin tweeted how he and Chiles were recruiting in Florida.   We all assumed he or Chiles were trying to see Morris.  In retrospect it was probably Jones.

Moose

« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2012, 10:20:02 PM »
Put aside the rankings for a sec, my guess is there was some good interest in him.

By not being ranked and having his recruitment end so late when so many of recruiting gurus are focused on the upcoming summer AAU events that makes it is easy to get overlooked.   My guess is the interest from schools like Auburn and Okie St was legit and probably ran deeper.  Also he was probably a late qualifier which may have held off other offers.

Also if you remember a few months ago Lavin tweeted how he and Chiles were recruiting in Florida.   We all assumed he or Chiles were trying to see Morris.  In retrospect it was probably Jones.

They were watching Morris though.  Chiles said he was going to Jacksonville to watch a shooter.  And Jax isn't near Bradenton.

Fair point about this years recruitment, its fair to just wonder this day in age with technology, Max Preps, YouTube, Rivals, yadda yadda where was the chatter last year.  When you google him you would think you run into a local paper story here or there.  No?

« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2012, 10:38:41 PM »

They were watching Morris though.  Chiles said he was going to Jacksonville to watch a shooter.  And Jax isn't near Bradenton.

Fair point about this years recruitment, its fair to just wonder this day in age with technology, Max Preps, YouTube, Rivals, yadda yadda where was the chatter last year.  When you google him you would think you run into a local paper story here or there.  No?

I stand corrected I don't remember him mentioning the city.

Last year? Again a late bloomer.  Kind of like Remi Barry (I know he was foreign).  Probably got tipped off perhaps by an IMG coach and then did some evaluation and boom.

Remember the story about Barry.  Some guy that Lavin had got to know in his UCLA days had his phone number and called Lavin shortly after he got the SJU job and was at a workout where Barry was in front of some coaches (he did not play that year because of Cali transfer rules) and the guy essentially told Coach to get out there and see this kid.  And suddenly the kid is being recruited by Arizona St, UCLA and SJU. 

It happens.  Barry wasn't ranked either.

Chilleb

« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2012, 11:01:39 PM »
Where is our school ranked 8 for 2012 class

paultzman

« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2012, 11:05:56 PM »
Where is our school ranked 8 for 2012 class

PR nonsense

Chilleb

« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2012, 11:07:33 PM »