Phil Greene & Defense

• 22 replies

MCNPA

Phil Greene & Defense
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:59:58 AM »
Aagreed.  Phil is a good defender.  I think Balamou will be a monster defender both on and off the ball when he gets coached-up.  Right now, Balamou is fantastic off the ball but doesn't get in right position during on-ball defense.  When he learns it, he'll be great at both.  Lots of great defenders on this team.  Even D'Lo isn't nearly the defensive liability many thought he'd be.  He performed admirably on D last season even if he's not lockdown type.  Really excited for some post defense though, especially after losing a solid shotblocker in Harkless.  We should have a LOT more shotblocking ability with Jakarr, Sanchez and Obekpa.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:54:51 PM by kjd01067 »

Re: Phil Greene & Defense
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 01:12:13 PM »
you guys seen phil lately? He looks jacked up! dude has put on serious muscle.  i expect him to contribute significantly this year.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:26:02 PM »
you guys seen phil lately? He looks jacked up! dude has put on serious muscle.  i expect him to contribute significantly this year.

Quite a difference.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:26:19 PM by kingofk1ngs »

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 01:29:35 PM »
Looks the same....he's just pumped and the new photo is black and white!

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »
Instagram always adds 2 inches to the biceps.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:21:03 PM »
I think Greene can be much more aggressive on the defensive end. He was playing out of position last year, but he showed some potential. Playing 15-20 minutes a game in BE play will make him much tougher.

kob24

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 04:48:24 AM »
Stop it. One thing I can say is pat can get u in great great shape

MCNPA

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:10:49 AM »

Not even close to the same.  He's much bigger now and with lean muscle.  Good for him.  He was a competitive athlete before.  Love Phil's game.  If he gets that shooting consistent, he'll be a killer as he's already good going to the hole.

paultzman

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 11:15:55 AM »

Not even close to the same.  He's much bigger now and with lean muscle.  Good for him.  He was a competitive athlete before.  Love Phil's game.  If he gets that shooting consistent, he'll be a killer as he's already good going to the hole.

Sorry to break your bubble MC, but just found out that is really Terrell Owens' body w Phil's head superimposed.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 07:16:05 AM »
Its like the whole Mongrol Gang made Phil spooky lookin.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »
I think Phil jumps to 12 ppg, 4 assists and 4 rebounds to go with 2.25 steals. It's the hard working kids that come back as legit BE players after their freshman year. Garrett, Pointer and DLo all seem like they will return stronger.

Tha Kid

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 12:08:48 PM »
I bet Phil wears size MEDIUM in Johnny Jungle t-shirts now.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 12:46:31 PM »
I think Phil jumps to 12 ppg, 4 assists and 4 rebounds to go with 2.25 steals. It's the hard working kids that come back as legit BE players after their freshman year. Garrett, Pointer and DLo all seem like they will return stronger.
2.25 steals seems a bit ambitious and if he plays mostly point with our depth and weapons 12 pts may also be a little high. Would be happy with 9pts, 4 assists, 3 rebs, 1.2 steals.

ras

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 01:14:21 PM »
Looks like he has been hitting the weight room w Gift.

DFF6

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 01:45:27 PM »
I bet Phil wears size MEDIUM in Johnny Jungle t-shirts now.

One of the mods should revive the medium t-shirt thread.  I can't find it anymore.  Funniest thread I've ever read.

crgreen

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 02:26:18 PM »
2.25 steals seems a bit ambitious and if he plays mostly point with our depth and weapons 12 pts may also be a little high. Would be happy with 9pts, 4 assists, 3 rebs, 1.2 steals.

I don't really see his steals dropping from his 1.26 last year.   With Branch missing the 1st chunk of the season before being eligible, I expect Phil will play MORE minutes thru December (as the ONLY PG on the roster) than he did last year, when he averaged 31.1 minutes - and that should keep his full year minutes pretty close to last years total...

I think given the maturity and experience of a soph, his shooting % will go up (not tough to do from last year's 37% FG, 28% 3s!) - If he's close to the same minutes that  that's easily 1 more make and maybe 1 more FT per game - and that Does put him near that 12 pt mark....

Moose

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 02:32:04 PM »

I don't really see his steals dropping from his 1.26 last year.   With Branch missing the 1st chunk of the season before being eligible, I expect Phil will play MORE minutes thru December (as the ONLY PG on the roster) than he did last year, when he averaged 31.1 minutes - and that should keep his full year minutes pretty close to last years total...

I think given the maturity and experience of a soph, his shooting % will go up (not tough to do from last year's 37% FG, 28% 3s!) - If he's close to the same minutes that  that's easily 1 more make and maybe 1 more FT per game - and that Does put him near that 12 pt mark....

Plus steals might go up as he can play with more aggressiveness on D with more bodies behind him.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 02:47:14 PM »

I've been thinking about this for awhile, and CR you're probably as good a person to ask as any; what's "typical" improvement from freshmen to sophomore year look like?   

It's a more complicated question than it may seem, because our guys played a ton of minutes as freshmen, so theoretically they may have improved more as the season went on; compared to the avg player who sees that bump in performance during his sophomore year.   

But do shooting percentages (for example) actually go up?   A noticeable amount?   

I know it's a broad question, but personally I'm not sure how much guys shooting really improves.  I think that may be exaggerated a little.   Maybe their shot selection improves.     But I wanted to see what other people's take was on that.

Do players really improve noticeably and statistically?  Or are you more or less the same player when you graduate as you were as a frosh?

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 08:02:04 PM »

May not play more than 31 minutes at pt. even before Branch becomes eligible as the talk or maybe speculation as been that coach Lavin may give minutes to Dlo at the pt owing to the fact that that would probably be his position for a shot in the NBA. Also we will have much more depth than last year and I was basing it on figuring team steal total of approx 9 per game and figuring on about a 9 man rotation and figuring Dom and Amir to lead team in steals. But hey, I'll take more steals from Phil and hope he does. We shall see.

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »
Phil's physique reminds me of Cjac's.  I really hope he gets a fair shake.  You win with glue guys like him but unlike Norm, you have to use them right and avoid alienating them.  By senior year I think Phil will be a fan fave the way Ced should have been.