2013 Class

• 43 replies

Moose

Re: 2013 Class
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 06:38:36 PM »
1) Best scorer the staff sees, regardless of position.     
Is that Lawrence or Martin?  I don't know enough to say.    Seems like we're invested with them. 
But if the staff found a guard they fell in love with, that would be fine too.   But we need go-to scorers.   

2) Sasha Umbueke  ...  previously unknown 7 footer from Europe/Africa            As a group, the big men in '13 aren't impressive.   Look elsewhere maybe.

Where did you hear of Umbueke?

He's a half Lithuanian, half Nigerian product of my imagination Moose.    Sorry to disappoint.   

Just making the point that I would like a true big man.   Even if he's not a starter.     But next year's class isn't impressive at all. 

Such a tease......

If you want a backup like player (similar to Camby on the Knicks this year) then impressive or not the class doesn't matter as you just want a body.  Since scholarships are multiple year investments I'd rather just wait till 14 and bring in Top 5 like class again considering whoever you bring in will be behind Obekpa.

So you wouldn't use a 2nd scholarship on a Jordan Washington type player?   

By height he isn't a true big man.
I don't think my hairline can survive Jordan Washington day in and day out for 4 yrs. :)
And I don't think we are actively recruiting him.

From a depth perspective if we had an extra ship the front court would need the player more than the backcourt.  '14 is just too big of a haul IMO.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
I read the question as who, within reason, you would want (as opposed to everyone answering Jabari Parker), not who you think STJ will get.  The two of them seem almost equal but I think Moose was saying he preferred Martin regardless but I'm probably wrong.

Correct.

Now how bout you answer it :)

Ideally I'd like another true big.  Gift gone and Sanchez a senior.  If there was a chance with Beejay Anya might lean that way but like Julia Roberts in Notting Hill I've been assured there's not, so I'd go with Martin as well, sounds more like a big who wants to play that way than another big who wants to be a Durantula type wing.

Moose

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 06:41:36 PM »
I read the question as who, within reason, you would want (as opposed to everyone answering Jabari Parker), not who you think STJ will get.  The two of them seem almost equal but I think Moose was saying he preferred Martin regardless but I'm probably wrong.

Correct.

Now how bout you answer it :)

Ideally I'd like another true big.  Gift gone and Sanchez a senior.  If there was a chance with Beejay Anya might lean that way but like Julia Roberts in Notting Hill I've been assured there's not, so I'd go with Martin as well, sounds more like a big who wants to play that way than another big who wants to be a Durantula type wing.

Thank you for managing to tie Julia Roberts into this thread ;)

crgreen

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »
I was thinking Tilton's  Goodluck Okonoboh - just seems right for  Goodluck to take over Gods Gift's Scholarship.   :)

Chilleb

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »
I like Lawrence and the other big an from Monroe CC he's been real good this summer. But I rather take a scoring guard who can handle

gman

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 07:35:13 PM »
Depends on who leaves early.  If Sampson leaves then a big man Lawrence or Martin.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 07:54:16 PM »
1) Best scorer the staff sees, regardless of position.     
Is that Lawrence or Martin?  I don't know enough to say.    Seems like we're invested with them. 
But if the staff found a guard they fell in love with, that would be fine too.   But we need go-to scorers.   

2) Sasha Umbueke  ...  previously unknown 7 footer from Europe/Africa            As a group, the big men in '13 aren't impressive.   Look elsewhere maybe.

Where did you hear of Umbueke?

He's a half Lithuanian, half Nigerian product of my imagination Moose.    Sorry to disappoint.   

Just making the point that I would like a true big man.   Even if he's not a starter.     But next year's class isn't impressive at all. 

Such a tease......

If you want a backup like player (similar to Camby on the Knicks this year) then impressive or not the class doesn't matter as you just want a body.  Since scholarships are multiple year investments I'd rather just wait till 14 and bring in Top 5 like class again considering whoever you bring in will be behind Obekpa.

Let's see which sportswriter tweets about the new big man on St. John's radar. Lol.

crgreen

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 07:59:18 PM »
Depends on who leaves early.  If Sampson leaves then a big man Lawrence or Martin.

IF someone leaves early, we need two players.  Still need a big to replace GG, and whatever other position is deserted.  I'm thinking bigtime scoring wing or combo guard.

gman

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 08:05:42 PM »

IF someone leaves early, we need two players.  Still need a big to replace GG, and whatever other position is deserted.  I'm thinking bigtime scoring wing or combo guard.

True I'm just saying priority would be to fill the NBA void.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 08:11:13 PM »
I think 2013 will be determined once we see what we need. We might not need much.

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
With limited knowledge on the subject will say Lawrence and if two add Martin. If I had more to go on may flip flop the two as I have read Martin reminds one of Gathers whom i really hated to lose because I do love a beast in the front court.

desco80

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »
Sasha aside,  we need scoring.    Lawrence and Martin can both fit that description, and would more or less replace Gift in size.  So if they happen.. great.
But from all accounts Rutgers is in good position for Jermaine; and Martin hasn't exactly said we're a favorite yet, just involved.

Like I said originally though, and Chilleb said;  I wouldn't mind a scoring guard either if that's what falls in out our lap.
Maybe Lavin gets involved with somebody late, a coaching change and a decommitment, a transfer - who knows.   Weren't we mentioned with the guard from Cali, Issac Hamilton at one point?        Who knows, things happen.    But I see efficient scoring as our weakness.   Even more so than height. 

gman

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »
With limited knowledge on the subject will say Lawrence and if two add Martin. If I had more to go on may flip flop the two as I have read Martin reminds one of Gathers whom i really hated to lose because I do love a beast in the front court.

I don't think gathers and Martin are at all similar. Thats like saying glover and sampson are similar players

Moose

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 10:40:22 PM »
I think 2013 will be determined once we see what we need. We might not need much.

How so?  I think 13 class will be done before we even play a game.

desco80

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2012, 10:54:10 PM »
Even if it's just a one or 2 guys, this is an interesting summer.   For the first time since coach Lavin got here he doesn't have a guaranteed starting role to offer at nearly every position.   
Elite players like Martin and Jermaine would still have playing time obviously.   But it's not like the last two years, when coach could offer all the playing time in the world.

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2012, 05:17:23 PM »
If we really are after Pollard, than he would be my choice. Love them lefties. Lawrence is 1A and Martin is 2.

Wish we were still in the wainright hunt.

Pollard?

Whoops I meant Jefferson
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

NYCoffey

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2012, 01:18:17 PM »
Would like to get this kid but he may not be able to classify to 2013 from 2020( I think he's missing some core classes). I also don't have an exact height on him without shoes.

4th Grade Basketball Phenom Mike Miles Has GAME! The Point-Guard Prodigy!

ras

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »
Would like to get this kid but he may not be able to classify to 2013 from 2020( I think he's missing some core classes). I also don't have an exact height on him without shoes.

Sign him up and send him to summer school  lol.

Moose

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2012, 01:35:37 PM »

He's ineligible ;)

LJSA

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2012, 03:49:06 PM »

He's ineligible ;)

I also don't like his body language out there.