Syracuse want to continue playig Johnies for MSG exposure

• 52 replies

TONYD3

Re: Syracuse want to continue playig Johnies for MSG exposure
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 07:08:10 PM »
I first thought no. But it benefits us, our home schedule is only going to get worse without cuse and west virgina. Not playing will only spite us. We have to play and beat them.

desco80

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 07:10:26 PM »

Besides which what makes one think they would want to play us.  Accuse only plays non league at the football field and only selects those they can beat and we will not be one of those.

Boeheim says he does.
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/61172/3-point-shot-orange-may-keep-big-east-ties

And I believe Marinatto has said he wants to schedule 'Cuse.   

Like other posters have said; they're going to play in the NYC area, would you rather Syracuse play host to Duke at MSG? 
If they're going to play here, we might as well take advantage of it.   

The biggest concern seems to be the fans at the garden.   Attendance is a problem the school should address.   'Cuse is the worst example, but we''ve been out numbered by Georgetown, Duke, and UCONN fans as well.   
Put a good team on the floor, use the appropriate marketing and ticket sales techniques; and we'll start to pack the house with our own fans. 

gman

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 07:16:16 PM »
Eff them, Boheim, and their alum base.

Poison

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 07:21:25 PM »

Besides which what makes one think they would want to play us.  Accuse only plays non league at the football field and only selects those they can beat and we will not be one of those.

Boeheim says he does.
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/61172/3-point-shot-orange-may-keep-big-east-ties

And I believe Marinatto has said he wants to schedule 'Cuse.   

Like other posters have said; they're going to play in the NYC area, would you rather Syracuse play host to Duke at MSG? 
If they're going to play here, we might as well take advantage of it.   

The biggest concern seems to be the fans at the garden.   Attendance is a problem the school should address.   'Cuse is the worst example, but we''ve been out numbered by Georgetown, Duke, and UCONN fans as well.   
Put a good team on the floor, use the appropriate marketing and ticket sales techniques; and we'll start to pack the house with our own fans. 

I think we should play them. Here's why:

The BE will likely slip to the 3rd or 4th top basketball conference after losing Pitt, SU and WV, and maybe now ND as well. If we still play top ranked teams throughout the season, I think it still keeps us at a strong high major level even if Houston and SMU join the conference and hurt our RPI, and overall respect.

In addition, we don't want to marquee games played in our house against other teams. What's to stop SU from playing Michigan State at MSG? Or Ohio State? If we're offered the chance to schedule this home and away, let's take it. If we don't feel like going up to the Carrier Dome, then we simply won't. F them. We don't have to go up there.

ras

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 08:01:11 PM »
Nothings to stop them from playing a great opponant at MSG and I guarantee they will. RE. our RPI  we can play many other top opponents at MSG. But like I said before I have mixed feelings.

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 08:07:20 PM »
Us playing them won't stop them from playing other teams at MSG.  If they want to, let them pay the rental fee.  They are one of the signature and founding members of the BE.  This is betrayal of the worst kind.  We should never play them again.

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 08:16:34 PM »
Would love to keep playing them. We're finally in position to give them the beating they deserve.

We are finally in a position to keep up with. But a beating?

It could happen. Why can't it? Many on here think we are a tourney team and even potentially a sweet 16 team. And, I'm not talking specifically this year (although I think it's possible) but in the near future as well.

We blew out the likes of UConn, Duke, Notre Dame and Villanova all in one season with our 2011 squad.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 08:19:38 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 08:25:31 PM »
Watch and remember when things was a little less complicated....

Derrick Coleman vs. Malik Sealy Syracuse vs. St Johns 1990 Part 1

Love those late 80's and early 90's ESPN/BIG EAST Big Monday telecasts.  The original Big Monday announcers, Mike Gorman and Bill Raftery.

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 09:04:39 PM »
Watch and remember when things was a little less complicated....

Derrick Coleman vs. Malik Sealy Syracuse vs. St Johns 1990 Part 1

Love those late 80's and early 90's ESPN/BIG EAST Big Monday telecasts.  The original Big Monday announcers, Mike Gorman and Bill Raftery.

Good times, yo. Good times.
Boo, Malik, Rob Werdann, Jayson Williams, Slow-Mo Mint.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »
I remember watching Boo send SU home. Malik S, Billy S, Sean Muto, Chucky S. Jayson W, Rob Werdan, Jason B, Carl Beckett & Kevin Fitzpatrick.

Tiznow

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 11:12:11 PM »
Let them play Ohio State or MSU at the Garden in December.  Better yet, play Duke away from their home court in front of a 50 / 50 crowd.

St John's should not schedule them.  Syracuse chose to leave the BE.  Move on.

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2012, 12:01:10 AM »
I remember watching Boo send SU home. Malik S, Billy S, Sean Muto, Chucky S. Jayson W, Rob Werdan, Jason B, Carl Beckett & Kevin Fitzpatrick.
Thanks for mentioning Kevin Fitzpatrick. Trying to forget when we were so bereft of talent that he actually saw significant playing time although this was just another occasion of Louie playing a less talented player over a more talented player the most egregious example being playing Ed Kennedy over Kevin Williams against Duke in the Holiday Festival when they had Gene Banks and Mike Gminski.

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2012, 09:25:35 AM »
Thanks for mentioning Kevin Fitzpatrick. Trying to forget when we were so bereft of talent that he actually saw significant playing time although this was just another occasion of Louie playing a less talented player over a more talented player the most egregious example being playing Ed Kennedy over Kevin Williams against Duke in the Holiday Festival when they had Gene Banks and Mike Gminski.

Its funny seein and rememberin how much Coach C relied on his starters. Wit the 6 fouls in BE play back then (a disastrous decision by the league), Coach hardly used his bench.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

redslope

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »
I am sure it will sit well with the their fans and students to have all the big games in MSG and Lemoyne, Binghamtom, Albany and Canisius in the dome.  those making $500 "contributions" to get good seats are going to really enjoy it.

I say we play "national" schools at the Garden; not regional, one time zone schools.  get home and homes with a Big Ten; Big 12; SEC and PAC12 school.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2012, 01:29:28 PM »
Let them play Ohio State or MSU at the Garden in December.  Better yet, play Duke away from their home court in front of a 50 / 50 crowd.

While I'm angry with them and Pitt for leaving the real blame lies with the commissioner who invited ND, Marquette, Louisville and Depaul to join the Big East. It made no sense at all, it is what started this chain of nice personic additions. What's next? Houston? SMU? It's pathetic.

ras

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2012, 02:03:04 PM »
Louisville was a great move . Great BB and FB. I agree w you  re,  the other schools. FB was the weak link and very important in college sports. That is the area that should have been strengthened to insure survival of the BE. SMU was a good move because they are good in FB and the BE wasnt in position to raid the Big 12. They will improve in BB.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:06:38 PM by ras »

LJSA

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »

While I'm angry with them and Pitt for leaving the real blame lies with the commissioner who invited ND, Marquette, Louisville and Depaul to join the Big East. It made no sense at all, it is what started this chain of nice personic additions. What's next? Houston? SMU? It's pathetic.

If we had a proactive commissioner with a sense of history and a sac, Big East football at worst would have been Pitt, West Virginia, Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, S. Florida, UConn, Syracuse, Temple, Rutgers, Navy, and Boise St.

They forgot that the conference was a basketball conference first. Memphis and Temple should have been the first invitees, not the last ones.

We wouldn't have a watered-down basketball conference now and football with Boise St in the fold would have been interesting enough to get a decent TV contract.

Not that they would have succeeded, but a proactive balls-out approach would have been nice to see. Before inviting Navy and Boise I would have offered Boston College and Maryland.

DFF6

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »

Not that they would have succeeded, but a proactive balls-out approach would have been nice to see. Before inviting Navy and Boise I would have offered Boston College and Maryland.

BC?  Some on here and RM would rather eat glass than invite back traitor programs who leave the BE for greener ($) pastures. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:25:13 PM by DFF6 »

LJSA

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2012, 09:02:51 PM »

BC?  Some on here and RM would rather eat glass than invite back traitor programs who leave the BE for greener ($) pastures. 

I'm not one of them, at least with regard to BC. I don't feel any connection to Miami or Va Tech, and I would have wanted the Big East to at least go through the motions of stealing two teams from the ACC, instead of being bent over and reamed without lube.

Tiznow

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2012, 10:36:18 PM »
Their coach just took a cheap shot at the league saying that it is not what it used to be.  18 months ago the league blew away the sport by placing a record number of teams in the tournament with a national champion that had nine or ten league losses. 

SJU should move on from this jerk and from Cantor.  There are hoops programs that will take their place and bring excitement to the league.  The BE will continue to surprise its critics.  It always has.