Syracuse want to continue playig Johnies for MSG exposure

• 52 replies

Poison

Re: Syracuse want to continue playig Johnies for MSG exposure
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2012, 11:09:58 PM »
Their coach just took a cheap shot at the league saying that it is not what it used to be.  18 months ago the league blew away the sport by placing a record number of teams in the tournament with a national champion that had nine or ten league losses. 

SJU should move on from this jerk and from Cantor.  There are hoops programs that will take their place and bring excitement to the league.  The BE will continue to surprise its critics.  It always has.

The BE is not what it was. In regards to Boeheim he is dead on. It's the Big East. That means if the school isn't in the East, we don't allow them into the conference. Not ever. And not under any circumstance. We used to play SU twice in a season. The commissioner who ruined that, ruined the BE.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:42:23 PM by Poison »

TONYD3

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2012, 02:11:09 AM »
We have to play Syracuse. Dayton, Xavier, Houston, smu, and temple arent selling out the garden.

Poison

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2012, 09:56:34 AM »
We have to play Syracuse. Dayton, Xavier, Houston, smu, and temple arent selling out the garden.

Most important in selling out the garden is St.John's playing like men. Nothing will work better.

DFF6

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »

Most important in selling out the garden is St.John's playing like men. Nothing will work better.

+1

Poison

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2012, 05:07:44 PM »
And let's not forget that SU doesn't always sell out MSG. They have had games at MSG against us and they haven't shown up. Who's to say that we play them, and it's still 7500? When we beat them in 06-07, the place was empty.

I really believe that the Orange is on the decline. That program will not remove the stench from the Fines so quickly. And by the time they do, Boeheim will have retired, and Mike Hopkins can try and convince the next stud out of Maryland to come trade in 80 degrees and sunny in February to -40 with the wind chill in Cyberacuse.

Good luck with that.

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2012, 08:20:11 PM »
Us playing them won't stop them from playing other teams at MSG.  If they want to, let them pay the rental fee.  They are one of the signature and founding members of the BE.  This is betrayal of the worst kind.  We should never play them again.

:up:

forget them. Never play them again. We represent not just us, the whole big east. Also, the idea that because our conference is weakening and we need to play Cuse to bolster our schedule is silly. How do we know these new teams won't rise up to the Big East level now that they are recruiting the bigger talent? Cuse is gone, close the doors.

MCNPA

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2012, 09:33:57 PM »
I remember in the 90's and early 2000's when Uconn's presence at MSG was greater than Cuse.  It hasn't been nearly the same for quite a few years.  Same could very well happen with Cuse post-Boeheim and in the ACC.

Tiznow

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2012, 01:01:55 AM »
Their coach just took a cheap shot at the league saying that it is not what it used to be.  18 months ago the league blew away the sport by placing a record number of teams in the tournament with a national champion that had nine or ten league losses. 

SJU should move on from this jerk and from Cantor.  There are hoops programs that will take their place and bring excitement to the league.  The BE will continue to surprise its critics.  It always has.

The BE is not what it was. In regards to Boeheim he is dead on. It's the Big East. That means if the school isn't in the East, we don't allow them into the conference. Not ever. And not under any circumstance. We used to play SU twice in a season. The commissioner who ruined that, ruined the BE.

I disagree....the BE is far from ruined.  Playing Cuse twice a season did not make it special.  The league has made as big a mark as any league over the past four decades.  No league has been able to put three teams in a final four and no league has come close to earning as many NCAA spots as this league did in 2011.  The hoops league will continue to produce strong teams playing great basketball without Boeheim. 

Poison

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2012, 01:53:10 AM »

I disagree....the BE is far from ruined.  Playing Cuse twice a season did not make it special.  The league has made as big a mark as any league over the past four decades.  No league has been able to put three teams in a final four and no league has come close to earning as many NCAA spots as this league did in 2011.  The hoops league will continue to produce strong teams playing great basketball without Boeheim. 

To me, what made the BE great in the 80's and early to mid 90s were the rivalries. That's what gave the BE its character.
Now, we have SJ vs Houston. Providence vs Memphis. South Florida vs SMU. It's not SU and Pitt that are solely responsible for this loss of soul. The commissioner who invited ND, Depaul, Marquette & Louisville to join set the wheels in motion for changing this conference forever.

MCNPA

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2012, 07:28:29 AM »
Actually, the new Big East has a great rivalry let that has been ramped-up in Nova vs Temple.  SJU still has rivals Georgetown and Uconn.  RU vs SHU is getting bigger with improvement of both teams.  Maybe SMU vs Houston and Louisville vs Memphis develops into a real rivalry.  Of course some of the good rivalries from the 80's are gone, but things change.  Was the ACC so great because of their rivalries?  Only big rivalry they have had is Duke vs UNC.  Mix NC State and Maryland in there a bit, but the rest of the ACC has no real rivalries of significance. 

redslope

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »
rivalries are fleeting.  Actually we have a longer history with Temple then Accuse and if you take away games played in the BE era. Temple was more of a rival.  We have played more games against 4 other BE rivals (Nova, G-Town, Prov and The Hall) then Accuse and those 4 remain in the BE.  I also believe that the "Vincentian" battle, NYC versus Chi-town could develop into a natural rivalry if they can find success along with us.

My biggest concern regarding conference rivalries developing is the fact that we generally play each other once a year rather then home and home when conferences were smaller.  This will be a problem in all conferences as schools go in to "Mega" conferences to satisfy football.  It will also be a problem as they will not play all schools in conference in FB each year.  It is now about money and television filling broadcasting hours withselected games and a league playoff; I can't wait for FB games such as Duke/Accuse and Pits/Wake :(
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 09:02:50 PM by redslope »

desco80

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2012, 11:09:28 AM »
rivalries are fleeting.  Actually we have a longer history with Temple then Accuse and if you take away games played in the BE era. Temple was more of a rival.  We have played more games against 4 other BE rivals (Nova, G-Town, Prov and The Hall) then Accuse and those 4 remain in the BE.  I also believe that the "Vincentian" battle, NYC versus Chi-town could develop into a natural rivalry if they can find success along with us.

My biggest concern regarding conference rivalries developing is the fact that we generally play each other once a year rather then home and home when conferences were smaller.  This will be a problem in all conferences as schools go in to "Mega" conferences to satisfy football.  It will also be a problem as they will not play all schools in conference in FB each year.  It is now about money and television filling broadcasting hours withselected games and a league playoff; I can't wait for FB games such as Duke/Accuse and Pits/Wake :(

This is a good point, and it's only going to get worse when the league expands to 18 teams next year.   What's the schedule going to look like then?   I'm guessing we're only going to have 2 home and home series per year.     Not looking forward to that at all.

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2012, 12:58:08 PM »

This is a good point, and it's only going to get worse when the league expands to 18 teams next year.   What's the schedule going to look like then?   I'm guessing we're only going to have 2 home and home series per year.     Not looking forward to that at all.

When the league expands to 18 each team will have only 1 home and home making 18 games.  Can't have 2 as you want each team to play each other at least once and you want equal home and away games.