Realistisc Expectations This Season

• 106 replies
Re: Realistisc Expectations This Season
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 05:31:24 PM »
I'd like to hear from Dave or Kob.  I believe both have seen the team practice.  What do you think guys?

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2012, 05:59:05 PM »
19 wins not including post season

boo3

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 07:59:11 PM »
 20 wins.

Most athletic team in the BE. Only worry is who going to lead the scoring if Harrison is out or in foul trouble or just having a bad night.

Is there another go-to option?  You need more than one to make a real run.  I'm talking a guy who can get his own shot, not someone who gets 12 pts on put backs.  Someone who can bail us out when the clock is running down with the ball in his hands.  I'm not sure we know who that person is yet, besides Harrison..

MCNPA

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2012, 08:05:47 PM »
20 wins.

Most athletic team in the BE. Only worry is who going to lead the scoring if Harrison is out or in foul trouble or just having a bad night.

Is there another go-to option?  You need more than one to make a real run.  I'm talking a guy who can get his own shot, not someone who gets 12 pts on put backs.  Someone who can bail us out when the clock is running down with the ball in his hands.  I'm not sure we know who that person is yet, besides Harrison..

Heard Bourgault can really shoot so at least we have another option there who can hit some shots.  Btw 12 points on put backs are as good or better than 12 points on half court treys. 

boo3

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2012, 08:12:25 PM »
20 wins.

Heard Bourgault can really shoot so at least we have another option there who can hit some shots.  Btw 12 points on put backs are as good or better than 12 points on half court treys.

I know 12 points is 12 points. I hope you understood the overall point i was trying to make.  If the second option is a Phil Greene fadeaway from 20 feet with the hope that someone gets the rebound and can put it back....well, that's not good.

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 08:25:20 PM »
I see us doing very well this year. Honestly, I don't see how some see us finishing below .500. I realize we are unproven, but we return everyone but Harkless. We fix three of our biggest weaknesses from last season. 1. Spot up shooters 2. Rebounding 3. Depth. Losing Harkless hurts, but I think we more than make up for it.

20 wins going into the tournament. 11-7 BE.

sju89tr

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 09:27:22 PM »
We are going to be just fine. A young but deep roster. I expect NCAA's at a mimumum

Poison

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 09:34:08 PM »
It is realistic to make the dance. Beyond that, it's gravy. Let's first get back to winning. That's job one.

LJSA

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2012, 09:54:42 PM »
I think we win more than crgreen thinks we will. That's all I'm willing to say.

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2012, 10:16:59 PM »
Just hard for me to picture us as a winner again since it's been such a drought of negativity. I hope we are ranked and get back in the headlines again.

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2012, 11:46:27 PM »
You really think Pitt, G'Town, Marquette, and UConn fall under us? I see us as more of a 7th or 8th place mid-level Big East team. I hope I am dead wrong.

Why do you really think Calhoun retired? He couldn't bare that he will lose out to St. John's in recruiting and in the standings year after year. ;-D

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2012, 11:57:08 PM »
hard to see undefeated. :) you coming to san fran ?

LJSA

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2012, 03:50:02 AM »
hard to see undefeated. :) you coming to san fran ?

Even if I can't get tickets I'll probably hang beforehand at the bar to meet some of you guys.

pmg911

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2012, 06:37:37 AM »
I think 20 wins and NCAA bubble team...

paultzman

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2012, 07:43:51 AM »

Agree

crgreen

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2012, 04:18:15 PM »

Agree

Okay.  You guys see the glass half empty.  I see the glass half full.   Likely correct take is Dean Martin's -  "Needs Ice".

Could be Martin was the Ice.

Poison

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2012, 04:48:15 PM »
Hope springs eternal in Sept. no reason for it not to. Yet.

pmg911

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2012, 12:25:09 PM »
Okay.  You guys see the glass half empty.  I see the glass half full.

I would not say my glass I half empty maybe just not as full as yours.

Marillac

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2012, 11:38:27 PM »
I'm going to nearly double my prediction of 13 from last year.  I feel very confident this teams wins 23 and at least one NCAA tournament game. 

20 PPG from Harrison
Amir Garrett will be the most improved player on the roster with Greene right there with him--I expect both to be fantastic
Obekpa will give us very little as a frosh outside of a few games where he looks like the best defensive player we've ever had
I'm not at all on the Christian Jones love train, and I see him as a slightly better Sean Evans (still VERY glad to have him and some beef down low)
I think this season hinges on how good two players are:  Jamal Branch and Marco Bourgault 
I think Sanchez will lead this team in rebounds (guessing around 7-8 points 8 boards and 2.2 blocks), and I think he can enjoy more success at the D-1 than he did at the JUCO level

I think 2013-2014 is when this team really clicks, but if Branch is legit (I have my doubts), Marco is as good as I believe and our new bigs pick things up quickly, this can be a VERY dangerous team this season. 

It should be an exciting season, and the first for little Marillac who is due right around Midnight Madness. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:48:32 PM by Marillac »

ras

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2012, 10:04:35 AM »
I'm going to nearly double my prediction of 13 from last year.  I feel very confident this teams wins 23 and at least one NCAA tournament game. 

20 PPG from Harrison
Amir Garrett will be the most improved player on the roster with Greene right there with him--I expect both to be fantastic
Obekpa will give us very little as a frosh outside of a few games where he looks like the best defensive player we've ever had
I'm not at all on the Christian Jones love train, and I see him as a slightly better Sean Evans (still VERY glad to have him and some beef down low)
I think this season hinges on how good two players are:  Jamal Branch and Marco Bourgault 
I think Sanchez will lead this team in rebounds (guessing around 7-8 points 8 boards and 2.2 blocks), and I think he can enjoy more success at the D-1 than he did at the JUCO level

I think 2013-2014 is when this team really clicks, but if Branch is legit (I have my doubts), Marco is as good as I believe and our new bigs pick things up quickly, this can be a VERY dangerous team this season. 

It should be an exciting season, and the first for little Marillac who is due right around Midnight Madness.
What makes you have doubts about Branch?