Realistisc Expectations This Season

• 106 replies
Re: Realistisc Expectations This Season
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2012, 12:38:08 PM »
Lavin started the season with Paris on the bench ( I watched him bitching about that right in front of me).  He also had the Maliks playing and Evans on the bench.  Then when he realized the error in his ways he started playing his best and things turned around from there.  The Dook game was one final turning point when Sean exited the gog house and was awarded the game ball.  Norm had assembled a decent team but had no clue how to deploy them.  Steve fixed that in fairly short order and that was the difference.  I just hope he shows the same flexibility with his own players this year.

LJSA

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »
Believe it or not, I found the above discussion enlightening.   Amist the tangent argument (which admittedly had nothing to do with GG's playing time or potential to improve) Foad actually dropped a compliment of coach Lavin.   Beer on me for whomever can point out the last time that happened.

I never got the impression that he hates Lavin, just that he's skeptical about the X's and O's aspect. I've definitely seen him make fun of Norm's acumen enough times to know he's not a big fan.

desco80

« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2012, 03:01:58 PM »
Believe it or not, I found the above discussion enlightening.   Amist the tangent argument (which admittedly had nothing to do with GG's playing time or potential to improve) Foad actually dropped a compliment of coach Lavin.   Beer on me for whomever can point out the last time that happened.

That's fair enough.   Truthfully, most of us , as St Johns fans, will get our clearest picture of Lavin as strategist this coming season.   Besides CR how many people here really followed him closely in his UCLA days? 
We saw him two years ago, but you could see then that Dunlap had a lot of input.   Now, of course the assistant coach takes his directions from the boss, so it's not like anything was done that coach Lavin didn't sign off on.
But this year I can't imagine he'll turn the huddle over to anyone else like he sometimes did during timeouts with Dunlap that first year.   This is the season where we'll see his mark on the program though - all his players on the roster, a full roster at that, and no high profile assistant who can take any of the credit (or blame) for the in-game strategy.   Let's get the balls rolling... should be fun.

pmg911

« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
BUMP

paultzman

« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2013, 08:46:23 AM »
BUMP

Fair find pmg. Amazing that Dunlap won 13 games with six players, several defections and an unseasoned roster, I would have expected  more than three additional wins with a young, but ample roster. More importantly, I expected this team to progress, make the NIT at the least and be relevant. Not sure we will attain that. Lavin did face some challenges this year, but for sure no worse than last year. I think somewhere along the way, we should wonder if he brings enough technical ability to surmount such challenges, as do most coaches each year.

It is not panic to assume, if roster remains stable, that there is marked improvement with Tourney participation. Again, I am not suggesting a panic move, like firing him. That would be silly and unfair. Evaluating his ability to develop a consistent, competitive team next year is not. Roster management and development must include some competent shooters, rebounders and passers. In the age of three point shooting covering a team's flaws, we can't continue on a path where we neglect those opportunities. Necessities today include reasonable post up play, kick outs to solid shooters and commitment to "non junk" defenses. We should not be the most athletic team on earth, with too many wing players, no fast break ability and horrible passing. Also, leading nation in blocks is a deceptive stat.

Give me a solid On ball D that causes teams trouble, not one that is beaten and forced to block shots at the last moment. (Not to mention the worst 3 point shooting D I have ever seen)

Show me progress next year Coach. You assembled this roster. Make it work.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:49:23 AM by paultzman »

pmg911

« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2013, 02:03:21 PM »
I think the team is much better next year if all the parts return.

They definitely need Harrison back and adding Jordan would be big boost.

Hopefully we are a year older and a year wiser...

desco80

« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2013, 02:14:21 PM »
I think the team is much better next year if all the parts return.

They definitely need Harrison back and adding Jordan would be big boost.

Hopefully we are a year older and a year wiser...

I agree, and I think we will be better.
But weren't those same principles supposed to make us better this year from last?   
Older/wiser, adding a Center and shooter, Branch for a full year, more depth etc.