Sporting News Motivator

• 34 replies

paultzman

Sporting News Motivator
« on: October 29, 2012, 01:34:42 PM »
Last place Mike?

“@tsnmike: My Big East preview: With Peyton Siva, Louisville stands above Syracuse, others http://t.co/5ORDmoXJ

Moose

Re: Sporting News Motivator
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »
Last place Mike?

“@tsnmike: My Big East preview: With Peyton Siva, Louisville stands above Syracuse, others http://t.co/5ORDmoXJ

I'm not trying to play favorites and stuff but how in the world can he pick Hall that high and us last?  Makes you wonder if its a misprint honestly.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 01:51:43 PM »
Last place Mike?

I'm not trying to play favorites and stuff but how in the world can he pick Hall that high and us last?  Makes you wonder if its a misprint honestly.

No misprint, his response to SJU fan site;

“@tsnmike: @ECoastBias Nothing tougher than figuring bottom of Big East.”

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 01:57:10 PM »
These people are in for such a surprise.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 02:01:13 PM »
It's an objective opinion. Hopefully he's wrong.

Moose

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 02:05:43 PM »

Too add I mean he puts Uconn next to last.  Uconn has more talent than Prov and Hall.  I know everyone is entitled to opinions but when your paid to analyze a sport you should try to let facts come into play a bit.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 02:12:58 PM »

Too add I mean he puts Uconn next to last.  Uconn has more talent than Prov and Hall.  I know everyone is entitled to opinions but when your paid to analyze a sport you should try to let facts come into play a bit.

It's subjective Moose. Uconn could finish 15th. It's certainly possible. Seton Hall pulled a good season out of their ass last year. I don't expect them to repeat that, but no one saw it coming.

Moose

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 02:39:27 PM »

It's subjective Moose. Uconn could finish 15th. It's certainly possible. Seton Hall pulled a good season out of their ass last year. I don't expect them to repeat that, but no one saw it coming.

Subjective or objective which is it?

Poison

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 03:02:58 PM »

Subjective or objective which is it?

Any opinion is always subjective. Some more so than others. On this board, we expect SJ to be better than last place. We always do. Actually, we often expect us to be better than the analysts think we will be. 2 years ago, we exceeded expectations. Probably because we had the bar so low that no one would believe it could be possible.

This current team is a mystery in almost every way. We don't bring back our best player, and we only return one player capable of scoring 20+ ppg. That leaves a lot of holes to fill. More than almost every program.

I wouldn't pick us last for plenty of seasons. But my opinion is subjective. The author for SN, less so.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:05:13 PM by Poison »

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »
seton hall's offense is heavily reliable on their pg play, more so than most teams.  with that position as its weakpoint this year, how can you pick them that high.  as for us, we took a step back by losing mo.  but we take a step forward by returning the other four starters.  and another step forward by all of the additional talent added.  how can anybody not expect us to build on the win total from last year.

redslope

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 04:28:44 PM »
Great to post this on a day when everyone is stuck indoors.  The article is like throwing redmeat into the lion cage.  The animals will attack with a vengence.  It is an article that will make good poster fodder for the team and Lavin. 

After the Yanks got swept in 4 and SF struggled versus STL who would have predicted an SF sweep in the world series---That is why they play the games.  Predictions are worth the paper (old school) they are written on.  Let the games begin and see what happens in the real world!

MCNPA

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »
The Hall also has no post players except 6'8" Gene Teague.  Teague is crafty but has zero athleticism.  hall will struggle like crazy with their post play, without Pope.

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 08:03:09 PM »
they were high on that johnson kid when he came out of high school a year ago.  between him and teague, they have a lot of beef down low.  i agree, they're nothing special...but i'm not so sure that they can't get the job done.  all they have to do is hold their own...the talent of this team is in their wings.  and when gibbs comes on board, i think that they will be ok.

paultzman

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 08:12:13 AM »
Pico's take;

“@ECoastBias: Early national predictions on St. John's young team highlight uncertainty #stjbb #redstorm http://t.co/nJr48AkQ

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 11:02:31 AM »
"In college basketball, we know returning players tend to mean familiarity, and that freshmen often make a strong improvement in their second year."

the only intelligent comment in the article, imho.  the returning players are NOT going to be the same players as they were as freshmen.  look for green, amir and pointer to be more assertive.  and the newbies address any other needs perfectly.  i am really looking forward to this year.  only downside, wish we played a more aggressive schedule.  would love to prove these guys wrong in december instead of february.

gman

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 11:48:34 AM »
I don't care where this joker puts SJU.  I don't understand the SHU placement and he doesn't even offer a reason why he is so high on them.

ras

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »
Its hard to believe we are projected to finish lower than last years team w 6 players,  most FR. The prediction isnt logical.

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 01:10:51 PM »
I think they see our record from last year and only know that we lost Harkless.  Probably just laziness.  Lets hope they are very wrong.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Gumby

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 02:02:44 PM »
The big question is, "Are we a better team than last year?".  From reading all of your comments, I certainly have the feeling that we are, even with the loss of Mo.

Predictions from outsiders, who evaluate hundreds of teams, remind me of folks I know who have never been to NY and think pizzas from national chains are really good.  Look at the source!  I have no doubt we will have a trying, but fun season with Coach Lavin and our Team.

ras

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 02:22:10 PM »
There no guarantees in life.  We are replacing Mo w Samson, after a year of prep school + Sanchez and Obekpa. Plus we are adding Branch , Mario for shooting and other pieces. I ll take that trade off any day. Now factor in that DLO, Gift, Amir and Dom had baptism by fire last year and got tons of exp.