Sporting News Motivator

• 34 replies
Re: Sporting News Motivator
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 02:24:06 PM »
I think they see our record from last year and only know that we lost Harkless.  Probably just laziness.  Lets hope they are very wrong.

Yeah but the one easy thing they CAN do is look up recruit rankings to get a sense of talent. There are 6 top 100 kids on this team, including a new top 100 pg, pf and c (the obvious position weaknesses from the returning roster). It's amazing that a team with that kind of recruiting accolades doesn't get overrated

jayro

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 03:39:23 PM »
Personally I would rather be under-rated than over-rated.  Can't see us finishing lower than 11 and think we could be in top half of conference.  That's why they play the games though-the truth will come out as the season progresses-given we are so young I see it as an opportunity to improve a lot as the season goes on.

jsk

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 03:52:02 PM »
I actually don't mind being under-rated, at the very bottom. A couple of places higher stinks too, but the very bottom creates a real motivation to surprise everyone......and I'm confident that we will! Go Redmen!

Hope everyone experiencing Sandy is safe today!

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »
The big question is, "Are we a better team than last year?".  From reading all of your comments, I certainly have the feeling that we are, even with the loss of Mo.

Predictions from outsiders, who evaluate hundreds of teams, remind me of folks I know who have never been to NY and think pizzas from national chains are really good.  Look at the source!  I have no doubt we will have a trying, but fun season with Coach Lavin and our Team.

speaking of bad pizza, my buddies loved marrilac pizza.  they had it every day.  how could you eat that crap.  going back 25 years.  do they still serve that.  it made pizza hut look like spumoni gardens.

sju89tr

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 07:56:50 PM »
The big question is, "Are we a better team than last year?".  From reading all of your comments, I certainly have the feeling that we are, even with the loss of Mo.

Predictions from outsiders, who evaluate hundreds of teams, remind me of folks I know who have never been to NY and think pizzas from national chains are really good.  Look at the source!  I have no doubt we will have a trying, but fun season with Coach Lavin and our Team.

speaking of bad pizza, my buddies loved marrilac pizza.  they had it every day.  how could you eat that crap.  going back 25 years.  do they still serve that.  it made pizza hut look like spumoni gardens.

It was garbage, do you remember the bald headed "mr sunshine" dude that worked the register. Guy was always in a bad mood.

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »

you wouldnt recognize Marillac now...its done up nice with a bunch of fast food chains such as Subway (if I rceall correctly from a college vsit that I took with my daughter.

sju89tr

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 09:59:54 PM »

you wouldnt recognize Marillac now...its done up nice with a bunch of fast food chains such as Subway (if I rceall correctly from a college vsit that I took with my daughter.

I saw that on a tour of the university, it blew my mind

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 05:33:27 PM »

They really have done a very nice job developing the campus...I wish it had all the amenities when I was there (and I thought it was great then)...Having the dorms will pay dividends down the road...I think students who experience a deeper campus life have a tendency to remain aligned with the University over the course of their lifetime.

I saw that on a tour of the university, it blew my mind

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 10:39:27 PM »
Chicago Tribune has us at 8

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-tsn-aen-bigeast-outlook-20121031,0,4573877.story?page=1

1. Louisville, 2. Syracuse, 3. Cincinnati, 4. Notre Dame, 5. Pittsburgh, 6. Marquette, 7. Georgetown, 8. St. John's, 9. Seton Hall, 10. South Florida, 11. Rutgers, 12. Villanova, 13. Connecticut, 14. DePaul, 15. Providence

ST. JOHN'S: The best news for St. John's this season has nothing to do with a player returning but instead a coach. Steve Lavin was not able to patrol the bench last season as he recovered from prostate cancer surgery but in 2012-2013, he will be back where he belongs. Whether the Red Storm can get back to the same type of result it had in Lavin's first season when the Red Storm went 21-12 and got an NCAA Tournament invite, will rely on the young squad turning experience into production. St. John's didn't score well last season (66.5 ppg, 13th in Big East) and had just as much trouble stopping opposing squads from scoring, ranking second to last in points allowed (70.9) in the Big East. Getting back leading scorer D'Angelo Harrison (17.0 ppg) will help in that area. Harrison scored 544 points as a freshman which is a school record. Not helping the cause was the departure of Moe Harkless (15.5 ppg, 8.6 rpg) who bolted for the NBA after just one season. Phil Greene (7.6 ppg, 3.0 apg) won't be able to replace Harkless' production while also running the point but needs to step up in scoring. Texas A&M-transfer Jamal Branch (4.4 ppg) can't play until December but will be called on to contribute. Addressing the squad's three point woes (.282) is the addition of junior college transfer Marco Bourgault, who is an effective deep shooter. God'sgift Achiuwa (9.4 ppg, 5.8 rpg) had modest results in his first season after transferring from junior college. He has the skills to be a top player in the conference but needs to play with more consistency to realize that potential. He will be pushed for touches by highly-touted recruits JaKarr Sampson and Chris Obekpa.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

LJSA

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 11:38:14 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-tsn-aen-bigeast-outlook-20121031,0,4573877.story?page=1

1. Louisville, 2. Syracuse, 3. Cincinnati, 4. Notre Dame, 5. Pittsburgh, 6. Marquette, 7. Georgetown, 8. St. John's, 9. Seton Hall, 10. South Florida, 11. Rutgers, 12. Villanova, 13. Connecticut, 14. DePaul, 15. Providence

ST. JOHN'S: The best news for St. John's this season has nothing to do with a player returning but instead a coach. Steve Lavin was not able to patrol the bench last season as he recovered from prostate cancer surgery but in 2012-2013, he will be back where he belongs. Whether the Red Storm can get back to the same type of result it had in Lavin's first season when the Red Storm went 21-12 and got an NCAA Tournament invite, will rely on the young squad turning experience into production. St. John's didn't score well last season (66.5 ppg, 13th in Big East) and had just as much trouble stopping opposing squads from scoring, ranking second to last in points allowed (70.9) in the Big East. Getting back leading scorer D'Angelo Harrison (17.0 ppg) will help in that area. Harrison scored 544 points as a freshman which is a school record. Not helping the cause was the departure of Moe Harkless (15.5 ppg, 8.6 rpg) who bolted for the NBA after just one season. Phil Greene (7.6 ppg, 3.0 apg) won't be able to replace Harkless' production while also running the point but needs to step up in scoring. Texas A&M-transfer Jamal Branch (4.4 ppg) can't play until December but will be called on to contribute. Addressing the squad's three point woes (.282) is the addition of junior college transfer Marco Bourgault, who is an effective deep shooter. God'sgift Achiuwa (9.4 ppg, 5.8 rpg) had modest results in his first season after transferring from junior college. He has the skills to be a top player in the conference but needs to play with more consistency to realize that potential. He will be pushed for touches by highly-touted recruits JaKarr Sampson and Chris Obekpa.

Wow, a decent synopsis.

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 11:42:46 PM »
Ranking this team dead last is nothing short of a joke.  It shows all these guys are looking at is Mo Harkless leaving and the youth on paper. 

We didn't finish last with six freaking first-year scholarship players!  This is a legit top 25-30 team nationally.It shows they dont know the game of basketball, because anyone that does knows STJ is a dangerous, dangerous team.

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 04:31:02 PM »

This is obviously the smartest basketball writer in the country. ; )

MCNPA

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2012, 04:47:57 PM »
Chicagotribune piece was good.  Marillac is right though.  IMO this SJU ten is top 25-30 material. I think we finish above Pitt and Georgetown at 6th in the league.  8th is a reasonable assessment though and a cautious but realistic one.  I look at both Pitt and Georgetown rosters and think we are deeper and more dangerous than both. 

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 08:03:35 PM »
Another reason why I love chicago

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 04:09:46 PM »
Chicagotribune piece was good.  Marillac is right though.  IMO this SJU ten is top 25-30 material. I think we finish above Pitt and Georgetown at 6th in the league.  8th is a reasonable assessment though and a cautious but realistic one.  I look at both Pitt and Georgetown rosters and think we are deeper and more dangerous than both. 

5-11 on the list above is going to be very competitive.  It's as it usually is in the BE.  Lots of competition with a good amount of parity in the middle.  You know what they say, "Any given Big Monday . . . "