Gift May Red Shirt

• 74 replies

ras

Re: Gift May Red Shirt
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 11:09:49 AM »
If we get Lawrence ,He will definately cause Gifts PT to decrease.

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »
thought the flood gates were going to open and we were going to be signing top rated recruits regularly so why would you want to tie up a schollie with a lesser player?

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 12:37:48 PM »
im not terribly excited about the prospect of bringing gift back next year.  does anyone here see upside beyond what he is right now (backup pf in big east)?

Moose

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 02:01:44 PM »
thought the flood gates were going to open and we were going to be signing top rated recruits regularly so why would you want to tie up a schollie with a lesser player?

Right now we seem to be after 2 prospects for 13 and neither are true bruiser down low who can backup Obekpa. Lot can change but why not go with what you know you can have as opposed to no body at all.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 02:02:19 PM »

Indirectly yes.  But Gift is backup Center/4 spot while Lawrence will more gravitate towards a 3/dynamic 4.

desco80

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 02:29:36 PM »

Indirectly yes.  But Gift is backup Center/4 spot while Lawrence will more gravitate towards a 3/dynamic 4.

Assuming we lose Sanchez and add Lawrence... Different games but id say it still has the same impact on Gift.   I just don't see how Gift would play more next season than now.

There's a reason we all thought blue ribbon was crazy when they first wrote that.

ras

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 02:48:03 PM »

[/quotn CR always says Lavin puts the best players on the floor and doesnt worry about positions.

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 03:04:24 PM »
But what if 2 of Sanchez, CO & Sampson leave early (very possible)
and we dont get a quality big- then Gift is  becomes very big next year.

I know thats worst case, but if he's the 5th PF/Ctr this year  ?

2 of our 3 big man targets have now comitted elsewhere .
Molloy '71

crgreen

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 03:30:01 PM »

Assuming we lose Sanchez and add Lawrence... Different games but id say it still has the same impact on Gift.   I just don't see how Gift would play more next season than now.

There's a reason we all thought blue ribbon was crazy when they first wrote that.

But...given where I expect the TEAM to be next year over this year, I see far more value having a 5th year senior off the bench on that squad, than I do a 4th year senior off the bench on THIS team.   Big differece in needs between trying to MAKE the postseason and WINNING the postseason.

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »

Good point, CR.  There is no substitute for experience and this team will be much more dangerous next year. 

But...given where I expect the TEAM to be next year over this year, I see far more value having a 5th year senior off the bench on that squad, than I do a 4th year senior off the bench on THIS team.   Big differece in needs between trying to MAKE the postseason and WINNING the postseason.

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2012, 08:26:18 PM »
People seriously undervalue Gift

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 11:02:21 PM »

Point well taken. However based on what i saw tonite and granted we are short handed but adding what CR says about Lavin he isn't much about labeling positions and playing prototypes-think he would love to play five 6'7 guys that are athletic and versatile.

Moose

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2012, 11:11:38 PM »

Point well taken. However based on what i saw tonite and granted we are short handed but adding what CR says about Lavin he isn't much about labeling positions and playing prototypes-think he would love to play five 6'7 guys that are athletic and versatile.

I know CR and many will talk on playing five guys 6'7.  But unfortunately while you might want to play that your opponents and who they put out there comes into play sometimes.  11 is the magic number for players to me.  With Max out we get down to 12 so I am fine with another redshirt.  Preferably Gift to me.

desco80

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 09:23:05 AM »

I know CR and many will talk on playing five guys 6'7.  But unfortunately while you might want to play that your opponents and who they put out there comes into play sometimes.  11 is the magic number for players to me.  With Max out we get down to 12 so I am fine with another redshirt.  Preferably Gift to me.

The staff must think Sanchez is only getting 1 season with us.  Which is what you've been saying since the summer.    More than anything involving Jermaine Lawrence, or Sampson being 1 and done, I'm beginning to think Orlando's situation is why were holding Gift out.   We truly don't have a backup for Obekpa next season if Sanchez leaves and Gift graduates. 
That makes the most sense the more I think about it Moose.     

MCNPA

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 11:18:43 AM »

Agree Moose.  I don't think Balamou needs to redshirt.  We can use his athleticism and extra depth in the backcourt this season.  As far as Gift goes, it allows Lavin to have a known quantity PF/C come back next year to bolster depth.  It's not just about playing time.

The added benefit for Gift is that he gets an extra year to finish up his Masters degree on ship.  If youre a kid like Gift who is an excellent student, what is wrong with one more year of free tuitiion as you continue to work on your game and still retain your one more year of eligibility?  It's not as appealing to most college ballers, but Gift is a true student-athlete whom gets his cake and eats it too by redshirting and finishing advanced degree.

I too think Gift is being a bit underrated.  He was in a bad spot last year but still put up solid numbers.  How many freshman or even Juco Bigs would be an improvement over Gift's production as a backup PF/C?  We all know that Obekpa is our primary center for at least the next 2 seasons anyway.

ras

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »
Its not a bad idea if Sanchez is cleared by the Detroit game. If he isnt Play Gift and get another JUCO transfer big for next year if need be

desco80

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 11:51:45 AM »
This will be Lavin's 3rd full recruiting class; if he has an extra scholarship available for next season he should be able to find a better post player than Gift.   
In year 1 when we needed to overturn the entire roster, and then we faced elidgibility concerns, it was a different story.

Not now.   

Obekpa is the starter going forward, and if faced with the choice of bringing back Gift or getting an extra scholarship to use; I would hope we choose the latter. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 11:56:29 AM by desco80 »

kjd01067

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 11:54:03 AM »
Its not a bad idea if Sanchez is cleared by the Detroit game. If he isnt Play Gift and get another JUCO transfer big for next year if need be

If this situation is not cleared up by the Detroit game the staff is in a real bind. Here is to hoping the NCAA gets their shit together

MCNPA

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »
This will be Lavin's 3rd full recruiting class; if he has an extra scholarship available for next season he should be able to find a better post player than Gift.   
In year 1 when we needed to overturn the entire roster, and then we faced elidgibility concerns, it was a different story.

Not now.   

Obekpa is the starter going forward, and if faced with the choice of bringing back Gift or getting an extra scholarship to use; I would hope we choose the latter.

Gift is better than most freshmen post players on the lard for 2013 and likely most JC post guys.  Gift has contributed and pretty solidly at this level already.  I think you're off on this one.  Gift is the perfect guy to have backup up the post next year and will be hard to match for most newcomers. 

desco80

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2012, 12:16:08 PM »

Not now.   

Gift is better than most freshmen post players on the lard for 2013 and likely most JC post guys.  Gift has contributed and pretty solidly at this level already.  I think you're off on this one.  Gift is the perfect guy to have backup up the post next year and will be hard to match for most newcomers.

You might be right, I'm probably underrating him.   He's a Big East caliber player, and from all reports he's a great person for the University.
But let me ask you this;  hypothetically let's say D'angelo and Jakarr don't go pro for whatever reasons.   Sanchez only gets one year of eligibility. 
If we have only 1 scholarship and could have gotten Jermaine Lawrence and Rhyseed Jordan, but we're only able to sign one, will you be pissed we choose to redshirt God's Gift?