Bourgault and Sanchez are not playing

• 53 replies

Chilleb

Re: Bourgault and Sanchez are not playing
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 09:08:30 PM »
It was pretty upsetting seeing 5 guys in gray sweatsuits. We should be past this. Enough already.

Think it means that with  Obkepa, Jones, Sanchez, Sampson and Garrett up front, that Bourgalt and Sir Dom are considered part of the backcourt rotation with D'lo, Greene and Branch  - that's the 10 man rotation.  Staff may be figura   A 2nd year Felix (with 4 years eligibility) and a 5th year Gift  are better than a frosh anybody (other than Rysheed) for next year....
They may be thinking more jermaine then rysheed at this point. With all this speculation chances seem slim we get both

I wouldn't say slim at all.
Yeah but your opinion is based on thinking guys are gonna leave early. I didn't see any one and done talent on the court tonight.

Moose

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 09:09:11 PM »
Sanchez may be a junior. He may be a senior. What on earth does that have to do with him playing in a game tonight?

What on earth do most NCAA rules mean?

* NCAA came out this week and said if you transfer within 100 miles of home for ill family you will get immediate eligibility.  But Ashton Pankey transfers home not even 10 miles from home and is ruled ineligible.  Utter nonsense.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 09:11:06 PM »
It was pretty upsetting seeing 5 guys in gray sweatsuits. We should be past this. Enough already.

Think it means that with  Obkepa, Jones, Sanchez, Sampson and Garrett up front, that Bourgalt and Sir Dom are considered part of the backcourt rotation with D'lo, Greene and Branch  - that's the 10 man rotation.  Staff may be figura   A 2nd year Felix (with 4 years eligibility) and a 5th year Gift  are better than a frosh anybody (other than Rysheed) for next year....
They may be thinking more jermaine then rysheed at this point. With all this speculation chances seem slim we get both

Yeah but your opinion is based on thinking guys are gonna leave early. I didn't see any one and done talent on the court tonight.

Not disagreeing with you.  People will argue Sampson but I'm on record saying he stays two years.  He is still really a kid and loves college life and isn't really mature enough for the next level I think.

Harrison by all indications will look to leave.  Not saying he's NBA but playing overseas has become lucrative to many.  Him leaving and playing overseas after 2 yrs he will still make a lot more than most ppl who stay 4 yrs in college and get a degree. 

If Sanchez has just 1 year which I heard all summer and still think, then there is your two schollies.

desco80

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 09:12:01 PM »
Moose what's your concern over Felix redshirting?
You said yourself the schollie numbers will work themselves out with early departures.

desco80

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 09:15:51 PM »

Not disagreeing with you.  People will argue Sampson but I'm on record saying he stays two years.  He is still really a kid and loves college life and isn't really mature enough for the next level I think.

Harrison by all indications will look to leave.  Not saying he's NBA but playing overseas has become lucrative to many.  Him leaving and playing overseas after 2 yrs he will still make a lot more than most ppl who stay 4 yrs in college and get a degree.

If Sanchez has just 1 year which I heard all summer and still think, then there is your two schollies.

Not to mention transfers do happen.   We won't be immune to that.

Moose

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 09:23:04 PM »
You said yourself the schollie numbers will work themselves out with early departures.

I'd like to err on the side of caution.  10 is the magic number but I'd be more comfortable running out 11 guys.  That's all.

Moose

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »

Not to mention transfers do happen.   We won't be immune to that.

Forgot that but yes.  I don't want to see anyone go but who knows.

Chilleb

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 09:26:02 PM »

Granted, d'lo is a over seas player in the long run, might as well get a jump on it from now. Jakarr is Ronnie brewer 2.0 at this point, better motor better inside game. Both tweeners and not nba ready just yet. and staff must see something in Felix for him to be a 14 guy, I had envisioned that to Be the monster class.

Moose

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 09:28:05 PM »

Granted, d'lo is a over seas player in the long run, might as well get a jump on it from now. Jakarr is Ronnie brewer 2.0 at this point, better motor better inside game. Both tweeners and not nba ready just yet. and staff must see something in Felix for him to be a 14 guy, I had envisioned that to Be the monster class.

Jermaine could be 1 and done.  And if you add in Jakarr maybe that means you have to replace two thoroughbreds in 14 (Hello Chris and Isaiah).

15 could be the next real big haul in terms of #'s
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:28:31 PM by Moose »

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2012, 09:58:54 PM »
sorry guys...still not clear on the felix redshirt.  it comes down to one thing.  what is the advantage of having felix on the team five years from now as opposed to this year.  every other year is not affected.  none of us has any idea what the team will look like five years from now.  and we are shorthanded this year...especially until december.  i'm sure there's a reason.  i just don't see it.

Poison

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »
sorry guys...still not clear on the felix redshirt.  it comes down to one thing.  what is the advantage of having felix on the team five years from now as opposed to this year.  every other year is not affected.  none of us has any idea what the team will look like five years from now.  and we are shorthanded this year...especially until december.  i'm sure there's a reason.  i just don't see it.

He's probably raw, and needs to play against top comp in practice before he's ready. He wouldn't play much this year. Probably a sensible move. However, everything changes if we don't have Sanchez and Bourgault.

redslope

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 10:10:31 PM »
Sanchez running into the age question.  NCAA is looking at Dominican baseball players lying about age and figuring the same thing could be happening in basketball.  Marco has been in school for 3 years-Montana state, first year was deemed insufficient to play because of French schooling accredidation and then 2 years at Monroe where he was hurt in the first year and so maybe we are trying to make sure that is classified as a bona fide redshirt thus giving him 3 years of eligibility; if they play him now it is possible that NCAA would say Junior--no look back.

Still I am P/Oed this is still not resolved by the NCAA when the season is starting for all teams and this paperwork has probably been with them since these guys signed their letters with us.

Moose

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 10:15:15 PM »

Sacrificing him for 10 games just to not be shorthanded has to be measured.  Why waste a year he won't play.  Stash him if you can then.  He can still bring it in practice.  Get better.  And then next year he's not really a newcomer.  He has a year under his belt in the system.

MCNPA

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 10:31:44 PM »
Main thing here is that it looks as though Bourgault and Sanchez just out as a precaution at this point.  We need both and apparently will have them.  I have faith in our staff to know how to recruit and manage the roster at this level.  They are currently making moves to prepare for next few years.  I think staff probably has an idea where they want to be at.

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 11:08:21 PM »
ok...tx.  but fwiw, i was thinking five years from now the talent level on this team could/should be scary, with a lot of competition for pt.  also, that ship becomes available and easily filled (assuming lavin is still around).  but, in any event, its all good either way.  i wish felix best of luck on his career here?

Moose

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2012, 11:11:41 PM »
ok...tx.  but fwiw, i was thinking five years from now the talent level on this team could/should be scary, with a lot of competition for pt.  also, that ship becomes available and easily filled (assuming lavin is still around).  but, in any event, its all good either way.  i wish felix best of luck on his career here?

That is true.  No guarantee what 5 yrs from now holds.  But if you can save a year now its worth it.

paultzman

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2012, 11:17:30 PM »
All in all SJU is on the cusp of establishing a consistently contending program. Despite concerns about red shirts, etc., it sure beats the days of hoping the Phil Waits of the world could make a difference.

crgreen

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2012, 11:38:41 PM »

I'd like to err on the side of caution.  10 is the magic number but I'd be more comfortable running out 11 guys.  That's all.

Think coach really believes N'daiye can contribute as that 11th or 12th guy.

Moose

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2012, 11:39:43 PM »

How many teams have an 11th or 12th guy contributing CR?  Not many.

Chilleb

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2012, 12:38:02 AM »

How many teams have an 11th or 12th guy contributing CR?  Not many.

Doubt it he's really not a big east player, he's 6'5 1/2 and has no perimeter game, to his credit he's come a long way from bench warming at Christ the king