FGCU Game

• 176 replies

paultzman

FGCU Game
« on: November 22, 2012, 11:50:55 AM »

Re: FGCU Game
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 01:49:26 PM »
Good news-they don't play well in front of small crowds-if that's the case we have nothing to worry about. Student turnout for holy Cross was abysmal.

Moose

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 01:55:37 PM »
Good news-they don't play well in front of small crowds-if that's the case we have nothing to worry about. Student turnout for holy Cross was abysmal.

Wednesday before Thanksgiving.  The 4k kids on campus were long gone.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 01:57:20 PM »

What about the other 11,000? ::)

Moose

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »

What about the other 11,000? ::)

The other 11k don't live on campus ;)

And most of them don't give a rats behind about basketball sadly.  I wish I was in classes now because I think I could easily go around the room and pinpoint those who you'd expect to see at a game supporting their school.  Sadly the majority of those classes are filled with people who are not into sports at all.

Moose

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 02:07:57 PM »
They sure do like to shoot the 3.  That should make our fan base cry.

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »
No slouches, beat Miami without Durand Scott.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 04:00:57 PM »
I've never heard of them. We had better be ready. Sleeping on HC could have cost us.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 04:13:56 PM »
I've never heard of them. We had better be ready. Sleeping on HC could have cost us.

Upstart program moving into D1.  Played Dook tough for a half. 

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 10:48:10 AM »
Florida Gulf Coast comes into Saturday's matchup with a 4-2 record after winning their last two games. The Eagles are undefeated at home, but have yet to win away from Fort Myers. Despite being outscored by a collective 23 points in the first half this season, FGCU has been a strong second-half squad, outscoring opponents 220-189 after intermission this season.

Leading the way on the court for the Eagles is senior guard Sherwood Brown, who averages a team-high 14.3 points per game. Sophomore Bernard Thompson completes the high-scoring backcourt, averaging 13.8 points per game. Sophomore forward Eric McKnight leads the team in rebounding, grabbing over six boards per game.

Andy Enfield is in his second season at the helm of Florida Gulf Coast, with a career record of 19-19. In the program's first season at the Division I level, Enfield led the Eagles to the Atlantic Sun Championship game, becoming just the sixth program to reach the conference finals in its first appearance in the postseason in Atlantic Sun History.

“@STJ_Basketball: GAME NOTES: #STJBB Takes On Florida Gulf Coast Saturday In Queens On @ESPN3: Preview, Links: http://t.co/HRKP1z2D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:50:24 AM by paultzman »

kob24

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 09:02:06 AM »
Any way to see this game online

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 09:09:40 AM »
IMO this is the toughest remaining non conference game. They are better than Holy Cross and we shouldn't sleep on them because they are a crappy-sounding team. 

PIB

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 09:14:50 AM »
Team looks good so far this season. They aren't slouches; nonetheless, we should win this game.

paultzman

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 09:16:09 AM »
IMO this is the toughest remaining non conference game. They are better than Holy Cross and we shouldn't sleep on them because they are a crappy-sounding team. 

They have a very good up and coming coach & are guard oriented. They have not yet played well on road, but it is obviously early. Can't see them hurting us on boards, but we will see. SC, with Martin at helm IMO, is a tougher match.

ras

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 09:25:57 AM »
Any way to see this game online
ESPN3(dont know about any blackout}

PIB

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 09:39:52 AM »

A buddy of mine that lives down in Ft. Meyers coached one of the players on FGCUs squad in HS, and follows Florida hoops religiously. Here were some of his opinions entering the FGCU / UM game:

"Andy Enfield was the perfect hire for FGCU and is off to a great start playing a lot of freshman.  Lost a big lead at TCU last week and lost by 1 on a costly turnover.  Enfield was a huge loss to Hamilton up in Tally, so expect them to take a step back this year IMO.  Luckily FGCU didn't hire Fernandez from Miami as his name got drug through the mud by Shapiro shortly after the hire was made.  Would've been bad for Fernandez and the FGCU AD wouldve lost his job.

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand.  FGCU freshman PG Austin Comer played with Austin Rivers last year at Winter Park and was often the unsung hero of that team while Rivers got a lot of the glory.  Comer originally committed to FAU but later switched to FGCU when Enfield was hired.  Comer is still a freshman and turnover prone at times, so our defensive pressure should give him fits.  PS - he cant go leftFGCU also lacks a post presence at times.  6'8 wing Eddie Murray (former player for yours truly) plays post when they go small and he has no business playing post.  Great athlete and kid but won't be able to bang with a true post player.  Comer and the other true freshman should make a lot of turnovers tonight but will still play well and shoot well too.  Miami will have to take care of the ball themselves and clean up the boards. "

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:47:06 AM by PIB »

MCNPA

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »

Toughest remaining game is probably not even Gulf Coast, it is UNC Asheville who lost by 2 to NC State last night.  Neither team is a slouch.  Our OOC schedule that many thought was soft, ends up being quite a bit tougher tests than anybody thought.

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 09:54:15 AM »

Toughest remaining game is probably not even Gulf Coast, it is UNC Asheville who lost by 2 to NC State last night.  Neither team is a slouch.  Our OOC schedule that many thought was soft, ends up being quite a bit tougher tests than anybody thought.

Woah I didn't catch that score.  I watched Asheville last week and my takeaway was that we should roll them. Nc state must have had an awful game.

I'd be surprised if we didn't lose one of these "should-win" non conf games

Tiznow

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »

Am I the only one here who does not enjoy the OOC games? 

It seems like a BE school has little to gain and lots to lose.  The less recognized conferences have more experienced players and their teams are not far behind the big name conferences.  If these teams did not get screwed with lousy seeds they would advance more teams deeper in the tournament.  Last season when the Johhnies barely beat Lehigh we were relieved.  Lehigh then went on to a successful season and ended Duke's season.  That StJ win over Lehigh became a season highlight.

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 11:41:56 AM »
Don't agree they are a crappy sounding team-I would use the word scrappy to describe them. :)