FGCU Game

• 176 replies
Re: FGCU Game
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2012, 08:49:34 PM »
Greene has had two shots with his foot on the 3pt line. My coach always told me its the worst shot in basketball
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2012, 08:51:15 PM »
Yo why'nt y'all tell me it was hella cold out?!?

Gonna see what's in the fridge.

They still playin those Halo 4 commercial? Stuff of nightmares.
get food delivered.

Fresh Direct dont come down my block yo.
Haaaa. You in the bronx ?

Spent 95% of my sacred life there.
Now I'm holed up in the Jersey.

Like I say, life gets in the way of ball sometime.
my girlfriend used to live on grand concourse & 179th. Awesome chicken place over there. La Estrella. Best chicken I've ever had

Funny yo I was like 25 blocks due south near Hayes.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2012, 08:55:28 PM »
My feed froze and I missed the dunk.  Holy crap! I just heard the announcer yell.

Thank goodness for the replay.  Still a bit overhyped.

« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »
Yo why'nt y'all tell me it was hella cold out?!?

Gonna see what's in the fridge.

They still playin those Halo 4 commercial? Stuff of nightmares.
get food delivered.

Fresh Direct dont come down my block yo.
Haaaa. You in the bronx ?

Spent 95% of my sacred life there.
Now I'm holed up in the Jersey.

Like I say, life gets in the way of ball sometime.
my girlfriend used to live on grand concourse & 179th. Awesome chicken place over there. La Estrella. Best chicken I've ever had

Funny yo I was like 25 blocks due south near Hayes.
I love the bronx now. Her parents moved from there up to Norwood 3 blocks from montefiore.

We still go back to La Estrella though for the rotisserie chicken combo though. Had it 2 weeks ago. Delicious

« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2012, 09:02:55 PM »
That double block by obekpa and pointer was crazy. Followed by a great leave off from Balamou to Harrison who just missed the 3

paultzman

« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »
Balamou is a sound player with a nice upside, not just an athlete.

boo3

« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »
 no coincidence that the tide has turned in the second half.

+9 on rebounds on the 2nd half

« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »
Pointer shut a lot of people on this board up tonight, including me.

« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »
I have given dom a lotta of criticism this year but he played his ass off this second half. MVP of the game no doubt. Keep it up young fella!

« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2012, 09:20:21 PM »
Dom played terrific save his FT shooting tonight. His defense and subsequent transition game was near flawless tonight.

These guys hit alot of lucky awkward / high arching shots in the 2nd half. Pointer and Obekpa really had them second guessing their instincts on drives.

« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2012, 09:35:31 PM »
hopefully a breakout game for dom where we'll see this kind of effort every game.  two wins in a row by pulling away in the second half.  good to see that.  everybody played well.  would like to see a big game out of amir next time around.  i also think having a true pg in branch will make a big difference in reducing turnovers.

« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2012, 09:44:21 PM »
Balamou is a sound player with a nice upside, not just an athlete.

+100

paultzman

« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2012, 09:57:53 PM »
“@DanielJMartin_: Lavin on Balamou: "He brings too much to the table to not have him contributing." #stjbb”

« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2012, 10:04:28 PM »
hopefully a breakout game for dom where we'll see this kind of effort every game.  two wins in a row by pulling away in the second half.  good to see that.  everybody played well.  would like to see a big game out of amir next time around.  i also think having a true pg in branch will make a big difference in reducing turnovers.

This team needs a passer, a facilitator. Hopefully Branch can do that.

paultzman

« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2012, 10:14:38 PM »
Stating the obvious, it is clear we are athletic slashing team, block a lot of shots and run well. On the other side of the coin, we lack physicality, rebound extremely poorly and fall prey to good passing teams with good half court execution. We are young and will improve, but the rebounding deficit is troubling. We can't go small against everyone, so any optimism I have about improving board play is dependent on getting Sanchez.

paultzman

« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2012, 10:17:45 PM »
“@KieranDarcy: RAPID REACTION: St. John's 79, Florida Gulf Coast 68: http://t.co/jW5Ukewr

« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »
Depth was a big plus tonight.  What is still crazy to me is how a team with this many athletes who are instinctive shot blockers are the exact opposite when it comes to rebounding.  The passing/screening/ball movement will come in time, as these guys learn to play together (and Branch will help), but the rebounding needs to be addressed (obviously the staff knows that).  As instinctive as guys like Obekpa, Sampson and Dom are on the defensive side, they seem to lack that "nose" for the ball.  We don't box out anywhere near as well as we should.  And we don't get nearly as many second half points as I thought this team would with all of their athleticism.  If we improve the rebounding, it will help our transition game big time, because one thing our forwards are good at doing is starting the break themselves.  When we run, we are at our best it seems.

All that said, obviously happy with another double digit win at home against a veteran team that looks like it will be a possibly tourney team from their conference.  But the rebounding needs to get shored up or we are going to have trouble in the Big East.

MCNPA

« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2012, 10:48:28 PM »
I really think we are a good PF and distributor away from a potentially dangerous team.  Obviously that means Sanchez and Branch. 

« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2012, 10:51:44 PM »
I was sitting court side tonight and here are some things I took away.

- I want to see Lavin playing Christian Jones and Obekpa together at the 4 and 5. The two are our best size in the paint and they need to learn how to play together. If we don't get back / until we get back Sanchez they are gonna need to step up. Our issues with rebounding will take years off my life.

- D'Angelo Harrison clearly needs the ball in his hands for us to win any games, BUT, he seems to have an agenda to score his points instead of facilitate the rock. Many times tonight he gave up the open pass to take a shot or layup. It seems to me like he's dying to score 20 pts per game every night to keep his ppg average up and be a top scorer in the Big East. Like there were 5-6 chances for easy pass lay ups or even alley oops that he passed on to take his own shot.

- D'Angelo has been quiet this season, especially tonight. Many times he was giving the evil eye to the ref on no calls (refs were ATROCIOUS tonight, crowd was given them hell. One guy sitting next to me almost got kicked out for yelling at the ref too much) but he made sure to not say anything. It seems like that is something Lavin has stressed to him as part of the maturation effect.

- Refreshing to see Sir Dom have such a monster game - 15 pts, 8 rebs, 6 ast, 3 blocks, 2 steals. It was a career game but I never expect it to happen again. I was shocked at his scoring. His free throw shooting is deplorable.

- Obekpa is really fun to watch in person, the way he anticipates balls to try and block them is great.

Glad we got the win, hard fought victory and as always first and second half were night and day. On to South Carolina.

« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2012, 10:53:47 PM »
Also, I don't think I've seen someone jump the way Felix Balamou does. It's so effortless and he has MAJOR hops, it's crazy