Big East could vote to dissolve

• 801 replies
Big East could vote to dissolve
« on: November 23, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »
It is an option in the bylaws that apparently requires a 2/3 vote.  If you take Louisville or UCONN out of the equation assuming one leaves for the ACC the 7 baskeball only schools would then have the necessary 2/3 vote as a bloc to vote for dissolution of the conference.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-11-23/big-east-dissolve-create-own-league-basketball-uconn-marquette-gonzaga-butler?eadid=EL/SICOM&sct=hp_t2_a10

LJSA

Re: Big East could vote to dissolve
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 04:19:35 PM »
If by some miracle we end up with orphaned ACC teams in a conference, I don't want to see Houston, SMU, or UCF anywhere near it. I'm in favor of doing whatever it takes to rid us of them. I'd love to bring Temple and Memphis along for the ride, though.

I always thought the longest-serving members could vote to leave and retain the name, though.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 05:22:37 PM »
i would rather not have any football schools.  you know that they will bail the first chance they get.  i would prefer our seven basketball schools, add xavier and dayton and one other.  play each school twice, and thats an eighteen game season.  play a more difficult out of conference schedule to help the rpi.  and, at least, we'll have stability.

LJSA

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 06:14:48 PM »
i would rather not have any football schools.  you know that they will bail the first chance they get.  i would prefer our seven basketball schools, add xavier and dayton and one other.  play each school twice, and thats an eighteen game season.  play a more difficult out of conference schedule to help the rpi.  and, at least, we'll have stability.

Football -- even crappy football -- brings in the money, as long as a major conference name is attached to it. I've got my fingers crossed that all the ACC rumors come to fruition, because once the dust settles, I think realignment will be done . . . unless the Pac 12 revisits Texas, Texas Tech, OU, and OSU.

Below is a PURELY HYPOTHETICAL conference if all the schools rumored to be leaving do in fact leave. Would you not sign up for this?

The BEACC Conference (basketball):

ND | DePaul | Marquette | Memphis | Xavier | Pitt

Syracuse | Villanova | St. John's | BC | UConn | Providence

Georgetown | Temple | Duke | UNC | WF | Seton Hall

For football, I'd add Navy, and then merge with Mountain West for two 10-team divisions. The best team from the West portion would have a good shot of being undefeated going into conference championship, which generates publicity and excitement.

But I care about basketball first and foremost. That 18-team conference would be tops in the land.

Again, all conjecture, but I'd deal with being aligned with football if something like I outlined were the case.

uwsfan

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 09:41:13 PM »

Football -- even crappy football -- brings in the money, as long as a major conference name is attached to it. I've got my fingers crossed that all the ACC rumors come to fruition, because once the dust settles, I think realignment will be done . . . unless the Pac 12 revisits Texas, Texas Tech, OU, and OSU.

Below is a PURELY HYPOTHETICAL conference if all the schools rumored to be leaving do in fact leave. Would you not sign up for this?

The BEACC Conference (basketball):

ND | DePaul | Marquette | Memphis | Xavier | Pitt

Syracuse | Villanova | St. John's | BC | UConn | Providence

Georgetown | Temple | Duke | UNC | WF | Seton Hall

For football, I'd add Navy, and then merge with Mountain West for two 10-team divisions. The best team from the West portion would have a good shot of being undefeated going into conference championship, which generates publicity and excitement.

But I care about basketball first and foremost. That 18-team conference would be tops in the land.

Again, all conjecture, but I'd deal with being aligned with football if something like I outlined were the case.

That list of teams is probably fairly accurate of what will be the new BE/ACC conference after realignment is done.  I would switch Xavier for Cincy since i dont think they are a priority for the B-12 after they take Fla St, Clemson & Miami. I also think for the same reason, Louisville will still be around.

MCNPA

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 10:32:21 PM »

RedVet

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 10:52:37 PM »
ACC on brink of destruction? 

http://www.eersauthority.com/expansion-update-acc-on-the-brink/

Talk about poetic justice! Couldn't happen to a nicer conference.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:53:20 PM by RedVet »

MCNPA

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
Big east might end up Pitt, Cuse, bc, wake, SJU Georgetown, duke, temple, Uconn, nova, cincy, memphis and a few others.  I said it before that there are the "big 4" and then everybody else.  Some schools just going to have to be happy not being included in the big leagues.

ras

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 09:17:17 AM »
Thats would be, hands down, the best BB  conference.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 12:43:17 PM »
It's hard to believe that UNC would leave Duke. I know the Aggies did it but they always had a little brother complex with UT. I always thought that UNC and Duke were on the same level.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
i think all this hinges on whether maryland can negotiate down the $50M exit fee.

SJUFAN

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 02:49:10 PM »
ACC on brink of destruction? 

http://www.eersauthority.com/expansion-update-acc-on-the-brink/

Talk about poetic justice! Couldn't happen to a nicer conference.

This is why I could never understand why Pitt, Cus or any other BE School would want to leave for the ACC. They're FB programs are no more viable than the BE. I hope something happens, I just cant stand the idea of our student athletes needing to travel across country for a conference game.   

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »
how about the possibility that Cuse and Pitt back out of their commitment? if teams leave the ACC it's  not what Cuse and Pitt signed up for.

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 03:25:03 PM »
No one loves the Big East more than I do, but the ACC as presently constituted is a better football conference hands down.  Florida St. is a top 10 team, Clemson is just outside that, and then you have Miami, Va Tech, etc, who  are a bit down (especially the U lately) but are bigger time programs than what is in the Big East.

jr49

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 05:28:21 PM »
If by some miracle we end up with orphaned ACC teams in a conference, I don't want to see Houston, SMU, or UCF anywhere near it. I'm in favor of doing whatever it takes to rid us of them. I'd love to bring Temple and Memphis along for the ride, though.

I always thought the longest-serving members could vote to leave and retain the name, though.
But we just invited those teams, Boise, SD State, and Navy too. If the BE is here in the fall of 2013 do we just tell the schools we made a deal with to take a hike. I know Navy not due until 2015, but it's Navy. BE gonna b a better conference then the ACC. Lets keep our word to the teams we invited and cherry pick a couple from the stripped down acc and leave BC and Wake out there hanging. NC and Duke were the only teams that did not want to raid the BE the first time, so we let them in. Maybe we get to keep our commitments and the acc gets left on life support. Oh, I forgot Syr. and Pitt. You guys want them back?

LJSA

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »

But we just invited those teams, Boise, SD State, and Navy too. If the BE is here in the fall of 2013 do we just tell the schools we made a deal with to take a hike.

Yes, I absolutely want to tell them to take a hike. Three of the new full-time members don't have basketball teams worthy of the Big East name. Temple and Memphis should have been the very first additions, not the last.

That said, if we lose any more old teams, the new teams may leave on their own volition.

desco80

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 12:30:56 AM »
This idea that the BE might raid what's left of the ACC is wishful thinking.  Not all of those teams are going to get offers from other conferences, and even if they do; the 50 mil is nothing to sneeze at.

UCONN Cincinnatti and Louisville are begging to leave.   There might be uncertainty in the ACC, but the big east is in panic mode. 

paultzman

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 08:44:33 AM »
This idea that the BE might raid what's left of the ACC is wishful thinking.  Not all of those teams are going to get offers from other conferences, and even if they do; the 50 mil is nothing to sneeze at.

UCONN Cincinnatti and Louisville are begging to leave.   There might be uncertainty in the ACC, but the big east is in panic mode. 

On point.

MCNPA

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 08:54:15 AM »

ACC's panic is worse right now.  I think they're going to lose plenty more.

paultzman

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 09:20:20 AM »
If anyone infers ACC is in worse position than BE, a trip to a psychiatrist is in order.