St John's #27 in the RPI

• 17 replies

Marillac

St John's #27 in the RPI
« on: December 02, 2012, 12:32:54 PM »
I know it's early, but this is a very, very good thing.  Our next game is on the road against #85 San Fran.  A win there could vault us into the top 20, because the RPI handsomely rewards teams for winning on the road as well as on neutral courts.  After SF, we have the Holiday Festival coming up which will be a neutral court.  The Barclays game may also count as a neutral court as well.  That would be big.

More good news for the RPI is is that Uconn and Syracuse are currently in the top ten, and Georgetown, Cincy, and Louisvile are all in the Top 20.   The SOS should only climb after we finish what really will be a very soft OOC schedule, with a likely 10-2 record. 

It's early but I did not think we would be in such a good position at this point.  Thank the lord for the neutral court games of the Charleston Classic.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 01:00:48 PM by Marillac »

Re: St John's #27 in the RPI
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 01:08:20 PM »
If we stay between 20-30 in the RPI heading into the bigeast schedule will be in really good shape.

Also I don't think our schedule is as weak as it has been made out to be. We started the season against 4 teams we could have easily lost to. I would have liked to have had one other big game, preferably duke, but im not complaining about our schedule. Gives us a really good chance to catch a nice stride heading into bigeast play.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »
We were #1 in the RPI this time of year in 2009 and finished as a 7 seed in the NIT.  Way too early to look at RPI.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:17:54 PM »
We were #1 in the RPI this time of year in 2009 and finished as a 7 seed in the NIT.  Way too early to look at RPI.

It's way too early to look at any type of rankings.

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 01:19:33 PM »
I know it's early, but this is a very, very good thing.  Our next game is on the road against #85 San Fran.  A win there could vault us into the top 20, because the RPI handsomely rewards teams for winning on the road as well as on neutral courts.  After SF, we have the Holiday Festival coming up which will be a neutral court.  The Barclays game may also count as a neutral court as well.  That would be big.

More good news for the RPI is is that Uconn and Syracuse are currently in the top ten, and Georgetown, Cincy, and Louisvile are all in the Top 20.   The SOS should only climb after we finish what really will be a very soft OOC schedule, with a likely 10-2 record. 

It's early but I did not think we would be in such a good position at this point.  Thank the lord for the neutral court games of the Charleston Classic.

A game against St. Francis IN Brooklyn should be an away game, but will probably be deemed neutral court. 

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 01:23:37 PM »

Hey maybe it was those high early season rankings that ended up getting norm fired in the end  8)

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 01:25:03 PM »

It's not too early at all to look at things like RPI.  Those are important factors at selection times.  No doubt, whether we make it to the NCAA tourney will assuredly come down to how we perform in Big East play, but a strong RPI surely can help, especially should we keep winning.  Just beat the Dons on the road and move on from there.

sju89tr

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 01:51:06 PM »

It's not too early at all to look at things like RPI.  Those are important factors at selection times.  No doubt, whether we make it to the NCAA tourney will assuredly come down to how we perform in Big East play, but a strong RPI surely can help, especially should we keep winning.  Just beat the Dons on the road and move on from there.

If we can do what we supposed to and go 10-2 out of conference, 11-7 or 10-8 is quite possible in the Big East and we make the NCAA's as probably a 5 or 6 seed. The schedule was good to us this year but still hard enough to not look like we scheduled poorly.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »

It's too early to rely on them, but it is certainly not too early to look at it as a guide for the season.  After the USF road game on Tuesday, STJ only has three OOC games left--with one and perhaps two (Barclays?) of those being neutral court games.  If STJ takes care of business, it will enter conference play with an RPI from the high teens to the low thirties.  The Big East has five top 20 teams at this point, and STJ's SOS will only rise as the year progresses. 

STJ figures to have 19-23 wins this year and a strong RPI will be vital come Selection Sunday.  We started looking at the RPI  even earlier two years ago and it was the lifeblood of this program. 

Pitt is 7-1 and has an RPI of 88.  They will take on five garbage OOC opponents at home before they start conference play.  Their RPI will improve with those wins, but even with a 12-1 record Pitt's RPI will be very poor and will haunt them all year. 

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 07:13:33 PM »

That's kind of my point though. It's a huge factor come selection time, but right now these RPI numbers are virtually meaningless. We haven't played one BE team yet and we have no idea how the teams we have beaten or lost to will fare when their conference games start.

I guess it's cool that we're so high in the rankings now, but since our biggest win of the season is against Florida Gulf Coast, I'm not putting a lot of stock into that #27 ranking. I just want to see us keep winning and I'll start keeping an eye on the RPI rankings once we've played a few conference games.

Stephen F. Austin is #8 in the RPI right now and UAlbany is #23.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:16:12 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 04:29:42 AM »
Go Great Danes!!! Feel like having a beer at The Lamppost!

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 10:25:43 AM »

Peekskillreddevil
Great to see my other team advancing every year.  SUNYA '75 here.

My hangouts back then were the 3 bars in a row on western Ave:
Sutters Mill, across the street pub, and another (basement of Ramada ?)
(But of course back then drinking age was 18- so kegs in Dutch Quad)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:28:01 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »

Peekskillreddevil

Go saints!  God they've fallen quickly since mccafrey left. How the hell do you lose to ualbany ;)

paultzman

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 02:12:47 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: Per official @ncaastats report, #STJBB is second in the nation w/ 8.9 team blocks per outing. Chris Obekpa is 4th indiv. w/ 4.4 per game.”

“@STJ_Basketball: At 21.8 ppg, D'angelo Harrison is 12th nationally in scoring. He remains second in @BigEastMBB. #stjbb”
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:13:50 PM by paultzman »

Moose

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 02:19:22 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: Per official @ncaastats report, #STJBB is second in the nation w/ 8.9 team blocks per outing. Chris Obekpa is 4th indiv. w/ 4.4 per game.”

“@STJ_Basketball: At 21.8 ppg, D'angelo Harrison is 12th nationally in scoring. He remains second in @BigEastMBB. #stjbb”

Who is ahead of Chris?
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »

Who is ahead of Chris?

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/138

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 12:17:15 AM »

Peekskillreddevil

Longbranch and Frank's.

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 12:18:36 AM »
How the hell do you lose to ualbany ;)

Mike Black!