Fans

• 62 replies
Re: Fans
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 11:27:43 AM »
That was a bad loss. No way around it.

UNCA was put on the schedule to be a W.

From the inception of this website it's always been asked of the community to be fair in their compliments as well as criticisms. It's ok to voice displeasure and offering/seeking solutions along with that helps to keep good dialogue instead of lengthy rants.

We'll get some good topics of discussion going on here before Big East play.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 11:52:11 AM »
Dave, I think everyone is frustrated because we are so close to being relivant again, but until we can be consists everyone will still have a sense of doom.
Cougar O' Malley

Poison

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »
Every year we lose to a low level cup cake. Why should anyone be surprised?
This has been the case every single season since Lou retired with one exception.

And Mike Jarvis was the coach that season.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:00:24 PM by Poison »

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 03:14:48 PM »
Completely agree with nudg... wadda you think were in central upstate where either you to to applebees or an su game for a night out? No, ppl have plenty of options which probably don't include mediocre college bball.  also dont think that convenience isn't a factor either.... you think it might be a tad easier getting to the dome on a tractor as opposed to fighting through the l.I.e and God forbid you're coming from Jersey, its like a minefield.  Now obviously you can't control the latter, but the prior is certainly a valid point.  I have stuck by this team and continue to go to games on a regular basis. I feel no guilt for sharing my displeasure after a second half showing put forth on Friday. It comes to a point where after 20 years the same b.s. gets a little old.  that being said, I look  forward to our coaching staff making the proper adjustments and getting ready for BE play.  Can only take one game at a time, lets hope our problem areas are addressed and the team learns from their early mistakes.

Great post ...... I too have attended games for many years with my kids.   

The hopes of half the posters on johnnyjungle are now down the tubes as they were hoping you were some college hottie who is single and your biggest turnon was guys who post on message boards all day

Yourself included?
Nah now that I'm engaged I'm apparently not even allowed to think about other women or it will get me killed

ras

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »
Every year we lose to a low level cup cake. Why should anyone be surprised?
This has been the case every single season since Lou retired with one exception.

And Mike Jarvis was the coach that season.
If my memory serves me right we lost to Niagra in 1985. Its not just the loss to UNC Ash. Its the stuggling all year, barely beating cupcakes,thats getting me down.

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 11:48:10 PM »
Nah now that I'm engaged I'm apparently not even allowed to think about other women or it will get me killed

Congrats Mj!  Best Wishes!

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2012, 01:13:41 AM »

thanks. we will have to get a beer after the game to celebrate ( and hopefully a win )

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »
Completely agree with nudg... wadda you think were in central upstate where either you to to applebees or an su game for a night out? No, ppl have plenty of options which probably don't include mediocre college bball.  also dont think that convenience isn't a factor either.... you think it might be a tad easier getting to the dome on a tractor as opposed to fighting through the l.I.e and God forbid you're coming from Jersey, its like a minefield.  Now obviously you can't control the latter, but the prior is certainly a valid point.  I have stuck by this team and continue to go to games on a regular basis. I feel no guilt for sharing my displeasure after a second half showing put forth on Friday. It comes to a point where after 20 years the same b.s. gets a little old.  that being said, I look  forward to our coaching staff making the proper adjustments and getting ready for BE play.  Can only take one game at a time, lets hope our problem areas are addressed and the team learns from their early mistakes.

Great post ...... I too have attended games for many years with my kids.   

The hopes of half the posters on johnnyjungle are now down the tubes as they were hoping you were some college hottie who is single and your biggest turnon was guys who post on message boards all day

Yourself included?

It'll only get you killed if you tell her you're thinking about other women. 8)  Congrats :)

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2012, 10:36:09 AM »
Maybe we should start a poll to see how many of our "fans" are actually season ticket holders or come to most of the games.  Seems to me that if you're willing to pony up that makes you a fan regardless of your stance on these boards.

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2012, 11:24:19 AM »
Maybe we should start a poll to see how many of our "fans" are actually season ticket holders or come to most of the games.  Seems to me that if you're willing to pony up that makes you a fan regardless of your stance on these boards.

Good point!

gman

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2012, 12:01:26 PM »

I'm not a season ticket holder, but make it to a few games a year and generally take a long distance road trip about every other year to see an away game.  Does the fact that I don't have season tickets not make me a fan and eligible to post here?

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2012, 05:52:11 AM »

I'm not a season ticket holder, but make it to a few games a year and generally take a long distance road trip about every other year to see an away game.  Does the fact that I don't have season tickets not make me a fan and eligible to post here?

Not at all, it's just that some people here don't seem to feel that we're allowed to criticize things about the team and it's coaching staff.  I'm just sayin' you pay for season tickets, show up at the games, you're a fan and that gives you cred.

pmg911

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2012, 07:43:32 AM »
I have not really wanted to look at these boards following the Asheville loss

We have like the worst supporters in the Big East

We live in  the biggest market and have a huge alumni base and no one shows up to games for various reasons, too far to get to Queens from work, too expensive. uncomfortable seats at CA, Garden too hard to get to from LI, etc. etc.

Instead we just hide behind the computer screen complaining about EVERYTHING, bashing the players, etc. etc.

Because of the attitude of our "fans" it makes it even harder to recruit. 

Yes, our team has been inconsistent and lacks an identity, yes you can be critical of the staff for coaching, etc. but we are a talented young team that needs YOUR support. Instead we hope all games are televised and "fans" just wait for bad stuff to happen.

It's really disappointing.   

sju89tr - first and formost I hope you and your family enjoyed a wonderful holiday.

I am lucky to call you a friend, you are a GREAT guy and probably THE biggest & most dedicated fan of this program I know but I have to be honest, your post is a little offensive to quite a few very loyal fans.

I can't use my personal situation as an example but to call anyone out for not going to games in this economy is just wrong. For me, I have chosen to spend my free time with my three young children and if anyone questions my "fan loyalty" because of this, they can honestly GFT (and that is not directed at you TR)

Fans complain, that is what they do. Everyone is a Monday morning quarterback and everyone, right or wrong, thinks they actually know something about the game of basketball. TR - you are too smart to not clearly see on this site who the people that know the game or who the people are that have absolutely no idea what is going on.

All that being said though...  there has a been A LOT of money invested in to this program and there just have not been returns yet. The frustration is not just with the fans but also very clearly with some VERY large supporters of the program.

Personally, I have been critical of the staff a bit from a basketball perspective. I think Coach Lavin has been doing a great job but a he made a mistake this past off season by not replacing Coach Dunalp with a similar type of coach. He tried to get different people into the role but its didn't work out and I think it can be seen on the court this year. The team has looked unprepared for opponents a few times and does anyone think that would have happened if we had as assistant coach that was a prep fanantic in the mold of Mike Dunlap. The team doesn't need an X&O guru but they need someone who specializies in watching film, developing game plan and then helping implementing it on the court in practice. People can say whatever they want about Chiles, Hines, Martin and even Mo Hicks - none of them fill role. I would much rather have a guy like Matt Grady from Manhattan on staff then a Darrick Martin or Mo Hicks at this point. Everyone knows I am no fan of Tony Chiles but he is a well respected recruiter, not sure what else he offers though.

As for the teams performance this year, I had no expectations or dreams of a NCAA apprearance, I thought we might end up a touch over .500. We got hurt because I really don't think anyone, Lavin included, ever looked at Mo Harkeless as a one and done kid. He would have been a dominant player for this team this year if he had stayed. I think Harrison is a very good college basketball player but he is not an All American like people make him out to be. Sampson is a future NBA player. Once he learns to rebound the ball better he is going to be a very special player but it will take 2 - 3 years in college for that to develop. Obekpa has a chance to be very special but he is an offensive project and he too is not a good rebounder at this level. He reminds me of baby Ben Wallace at this point.

Hopefully the team plays well in BE play and gives us a ton to look forward to next year.

I do think that landing Lawrence and Jordan are musts for this staff though.

sju89tr

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 09:55:55 AM »
PMG, we have been friends for a long time, no offense taken to your reply. I wasn't intending to bash anyone. It just doesn't make sense to me how much smaller programs consistently outdraw us. Yes I know that people in NYC have a lot of options compared to Creighton for example but we need to step up and support the kids. As PMG suggested, alumni have come through to invest in the program, we have to do our part to invest in the program as well.   

pmg911

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »
PMG, we have been friends for a long time, no offense taken to your reply. I wasn't intending to bash anyone. It just doesn't make sense to me how much smaller programs consistently outdraw us. Yes I know that people in NYC have a lot of options compared to Creighton for example but we need to step up and support the kids. As PMG suggested, alumni have come through to invest in the program, we have to do our part to invest in the program as well.   

As our friend Krusty has pointed out many times before...   NYC is a pro town. Inless SJU is very good, they are never going to grab the city's full attention.

The teams needs to start really winning games for people to pay attention....

Look at it this way - we have lost to the four toughest opponenets we have played this year. I am not complaining about the losses, its just a fact, the team is not that good but I do think we will get better and we have the potential to get much better better quickly...

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2012, 11:29:17 AM »
My favorite pro teams are the Yankees, Cowboys and Knicks.  I would take one NCAA championship for St. John's over 10 each for those three teams.  The Redmen are like my child.  Their accomplishments mean more to me that anything else.  I wish I could attend every game---home and away.  I wish people would be willing to make the sacrifice, to whatever extent they can, with the understanding that fan support will help bring success.

I'm jealous that teams like Creighton and San Diego State can get the fan support that they do--- but we can't fill CA.

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2012, 11:35:01 AM »
My favorite pro teams are the Yankees, Cowboys and Knicks.  I would take one NCAA championship for St. John's over 10 each for those three teams.  The Redmen are like my child.  Their accomplishments mean more to me that anything else.  I wish I could attend every game---home and away.  I wish people would be willing to make the sacrifice, to whatever extent they can, with the understanding that fan support will help bring success.

I'm jealous that teams like Creighton and San Diego State can get the fan support that they do--- but we can't fill CA.

Funny..I was thhinking same thing a few days ago...feel more passion for SJ than any other team I root for

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2012, 11:36:41 AM »
Sometime life gets in the way of ball.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

pmg911

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2012, 11:38:45 AM »
Sometime life gets in the way of ball.

+1

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »

thanks. we will have to get a beer after the game to celebrate ( and hopefully a win )

I look forward to it.