Fans

• 62 replies

sju89tr

Re: Fans
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2012, 04:50:12 PM »
Sometime life gets in the way of ball.

Definitely true, with kids getting older, more time for me to enjoy the things I like.

desco80

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2012, 05:04:53 PM »
Completely agree with nudg... wadda you think were in central upstate where either you to to applebees or an su game for a night out? No, ppl have plenty of options which probably don't include mediocre college bball.  also dont think that convenience isn't a factor either.... you think it might be a tad easier getting to the dome on a tractor as opposed to fighting through the l.I.e and God forbid you're coming from Jersey, its like a minefield.  Now obviously you can't control the latter, but the prior is certainly a valid point.  I have stuck by this team and continue to go to games on a regular basis. I feel no guilt for sharing my displeasure after a second half showing put forth on Friday. It comes to a point where after 20 years the same b.s. gets a little old.  that being said, I look  forward to our coaching staff making the proper adjustments and getting ready for BE play.  Can only take one game at a time, lets hope our problem areas are addressed and the team learns from their early mistakes.

Great post ...... I too have attended games for many years with my kids.   

The hopes of half the posters on johnnyjungle are now down the tubes as they were hoping you were some college hottie who is single and your biggest turnon was guys who post on message boards all day

Yourself included?
Nah now that I'm engaged I'm apparently not even allowed to think about other women or it will get me killed

Congrats MJ
I got engaged a few months ago myself, my advice is to try to stay as disconnected as possible from the wedding planning.  Otherwise you will lose what free time you have left to visiting florists, djs, catering halls etc. 
beware my friend, the wedding industry wants to ruin our lives with tastings and expos.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2012, 06:09:35 PM »
Completely agree with nudg... wadda you think were in central upstate where either you to to applebees or an su game for a night out? No, ppl have plenty of options which probably don't include mediocre college bball.  also dont think that convenience isn't a factor either.... you think it might be a tad easier getting to the dome on a tractor as opposed to fighting through the l.I.e and God forbid you're coming from Jersey, its like a minefield.  Now obviously you can't control the latter, but the prior is certainly a valid point.  I have stuck by this team and continue to go to games on a regular basis. I feel no guilt for sharing my displeasure after a second half showing put forth on Friday. It comes to a point where after 20 years the same b.s. gets a little old.  that being said, I look  forward to our coaching staff making the proper adjustments and getting ready for BE play.  Can only take one game at a time, lets hope our problem areas are addressed and the team learns from their early mistakes.

Great post ...... I too have attended games for many years with my kids.   

The hopes of half the posters on johnnyjungle are now down the tubes as they were hoping you were some college hottie who is single and your biggest turnon was guys who post on message boards all day

Yourself included?
Nah now that I'm engaged I'm apparently not even allowed to think about other women or it will get me killed

Congrats MJ
I got engaged a few months ago myself, my advice is to try to stay as disconnected as possible from the wedding planning.  Otherwise you will lose what free time you have left to visiting florists, djs, catering halls etc. 
beware my friend, the wedding industry wants to ruin our lives with tastings and expos. Two things to remember...1 as long you get married it will be a great day....something happen...it always does! Two the best wedding you will ever go to will be the one after yours. The reason is that you can appreciate everything without worrying about the work or money! Congrats on your big day relax and make sure you take the time to enjoy it.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2012, 10:00:47 PM »
Sometime life gets in the way of ball.

Wow, ain't that the truth. It's killing me that I can't follow college ball as much as I'm used to

MCNPA

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2012, 11:34:06 PM »
Congrats Maher.  Where are we going for the bachelor party?? 8)

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2012, 11:43:54 PM »
that will be a fun party. :)

Moose

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2012, 11:51:15 PM »

As long as Maher doesn't plan it.  We all know how bad he is at planning things ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2012, 12:24:19 AM »

As long as Maher doesn't plan it.  We all know how bad he is at planning things ;)

Count me in! I'll bring the farm animals

MCNPA

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2012, 05:03:31 AM »

Iona cheerleaders not invited... ;)

paultzman

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2012, 12:27:07 PM »
Relates to SJU as well IMO;

“@CoachFinamore: "You've got to win and you've got have a product that validates what it costs to come to a game." -Lawrence Frank on fans returning”

boo3

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2012, 03:15:38 PM »

Iona cheerleaders not invited... ;)

+100.  Funny shit.  Almost spit my coffee all over the monitor

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2012, 04:03:13 PM »
Nobody went to Yankees games in the early 90s. The Mets struggle to fill the stadium now. St. John's has been stulruggling for a long time and they have been inconsistent this season. These last few games St. John's has been a disappointment so far this season...what exactly are fans supposed to get excited about? The school demographics have change where you have more international students who do not care about basketball. St. John's needs to win and this alone will create a fan base. It is hard to develop a relationship with this teams because this is the third time in three years that this team has changed. Wasn't there 4k at the game on Friday? I am not saying this season is lost or  coach should be fired but when you put up a stinker like Friday you can't blame the general fan base saying here we go again...

So the school and our kids only deserve support if we are winners? 

The key has been and always will be the casual fan.  Most of the people who post on this board are the diehards.  We've been through Felipe Lopez and Zendon Hamilton.  Seen the late '90s with Ron Artest, Erick Barkley, Lavar Postell, and Bootsy Thornton. Got all excited with the #1 recruiting class only to watch Miles go to the NBA, Cook become a punch line, Shaw become a pothead, and Cuffe become an average college player. A little bit of life was injected into the program with Marcus Hatten coming to town. And outside of 2010, which was an exciting year for all us fans, that's about it. St. John's fans haven't had a lot to cheer about since.

I agree with you that this team needs better fan support. But you also have to understand that people aren't going to waste time and money on a losing product. Now, this team is young and it will get better. There's no doubt in my mind about that. Way too much talent currently suiting up for this team not to be one of the top 25 teams in the country next year. However, if you want to get support from the casual fan, you can't afford to lose to San Francisco and UNC Asheville. It just can't happen. Casual fans aren't going to drop $30 to go see that team that can't beat UNC ... Asheville.

I remember going to the games where it was Barkley versus El-Amin and countless other rivalries where it was tough to find an empty seat in MSG. But you got to put a product on the floor to draw the casual fan. Otherwise, you're essentially a Wagner or LIU.

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2012, 04:03:44 PM »
Relates to SJU as well IMO;

“@CoachFinamore: "You've got to win and you've got have a product that validates what it costs to come to a game." -Lawrence Frank on fans returning”

Exactly

paultzman

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »
Nobody went to Yankees games in the early 90s. The Mets struggle to fill the stadium now. St. John's has been stulruggling for a long time and they have been inconsistent this season. These last few games St. John's has been a disappointment so far this season...what exactly are fans supposed to get excited about? The school demographics have change where you have more international students who do not care about basketball. St. John's needs to win and this alone will create a fan base. It is hard to develop a relationship with this teams because this is the third time in three years that this team has changed. Wasn't there 4k at the game on Friday? I am not saying this season is lost or  coach should be fired but when you put up a stinker like Friday you can't blame the general fan base saying here we go again...

So the school and our kids only deserve support if we are winners? 

The key has been and always will be the casual fan.  Most of the people who post on this board are the diehards.  We've been through Felipe Lopez and Zendon Hamilton.  Seen the late '90s with Ron Artest, Erick Barkley, Lavar Postell, and Bootsy Thornton. Got all excited with the #1 recruiting class only to watch Miles go to the NBA, Cook become a punch line, Shaw become a pothead, and Cuffe become an average college player. A little bit of life was injected into the program with Marcus Hatten coming to town. And outside of 2010, which was an exciting year for all us fans, that's about it. St. John's fans haven't had a lot to cheer about since.

I agree with you that this team needs better fan support. But you also have to understand that people aren't going to waste time and money on a losing product. Now, this team is young and it will get better. There's no doubt in my mind about that. Way too much talent currently suiting up for this team not to be one of the top 25 teams in the country next year. However, if you want to get support from the casual fan, you can't afford to lose to San Francisco and UNC Asheville. It just can't happen. Casual fans aren't going to drop $30 to go see that team that can't beat UNC ... Asheville.

I remember going to the games where it was Barkley versus El-Amin and countless other rivalries where it was tough to find an empty seat in MSG. But you got to put a product on the floor to draw the casual fan. Otherwise, you're essentially a Wagner or LIU.

+1

MCNPA

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2012, 06:57:02 PM »
Fan support will be great when we have a consistent winner on the court.  I mean ncaa's every year.  The die-hards are still here.  The rest of New York forgets about SJU because we have stunk for the greater part of 20 years now, and are never playing in March.  I think Lavin will get us to that point.

Poison

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »
Fan support will be great when we have a consistent winner on the court.  I mean ncaa's every year.  The die-hards are still here.  The rest of New York forgets about SJU because we have stunk for the greater part of 20 years now, and are never playing in March.  I think Lavin will get us to that point.

At the end of the day, you're right. It's still embarrassing to be a fan of St.John's.

pmg911

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2012, 06:57:53 AM »
It's still embarrassing to be a fan of St.John's.

That statment is TOTAL BULL$HIT...

If you are a fan, you are fan - if you are embarrassed, stop cheering for the program and pick another team.

Its "fans" like you that are embarrassing to the program.

Plenty of people are pissed off, annoyed, frustrated but embarrassed  - NO F'ing WAY..!!

I am a proud fan of the program and don't cheer any harder for them to suceed then I did in 1981, 1985, 1991 or 1999 or 2010. If you do you, then you are not a real fan.!!

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »
+1 PMG.

Poison

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »
It's still embarrassing to be a fan of St.John's.

That statment is TOTAL BULL$HIT...

If you are a fan, you are fan - if you are embarrassed, stop cheering for the program and pick another team.

Its "fans" like you that are embarrassing to the program.

Plenty of people are pissed off, annoyed, frustrated but embarrassed  - NO F'ing WAY..!!

I am a proud fan of the program and don't cheer any harder for them to suceed then I did in 1981, 1985, 1991 or 1999 or 2010. If you do you, then you are not a real fan.!!

Fans like me? There are ONLY fans like me. You are very emotional. Such passion you have PMG. Like a woman.

pmg911

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2012, 11:01:14 AM »
Fans like me? There are ONLY fans like me. You are very emotional. Such passion you have PMG. Like a woman.

A rather be a loyal woman then a crybaby BIATCH like you...