"wait till next year"

• 32 replies
"wait till next year"
« on: December 26, 2012, 10:01:22 AM »
For the second year in a row, after a much anticipated season of new talent coming to revise a dormant program, there are already cries of "wail till next year"? Huh?  First of all, this year is barely underway and honestly, if this year does not pan out, what is there to look forward to at this point in time. 

1.  We still have not grabbed any of our primary recruits and the ones we are after are not program changers.
2.  There are no guarantees that the present cast of players will all be back. As we saw last season, it only takes a so called  "handler" or two to get into a kids ear to let him think he is NBA ready, or at least ready to play in Europe or somewhere else.
3.  A consistent trend in poor rebounding shows not sign of letting up.
4. Returning to a conference that will be decimated by detections.

It's time to focus on the here and now, good or bad.  For many years we all seemed to focus on the wait till next year cry, just to be disappointed year after year.  Funny but the one time many of us didn't look forward to a new season, Hardy's senior year, was the best season we had in the last decade.

Happy New Year

paultzman

Re: "wait till next year"
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 10:07:11 AM »
For the second year in a row, after a much anticipated season of new talent coming to revise a dormant program, there are already cries of "wail till next year"? Huh?  First of all, this year is barely underway and honestly, if this year does not pan out, what is there to look forward to at this point in time. 

1.  We still have not grabbed any of our primary recruits and the ones we are after are not program changers.
2.  There are no guarantees that the present cast of players will all be back. As we saw last season, it only takes a so called  "handler" or two to get into a kids ear to let him think he is NBA ready, or at least ready to play in Europe or somewhere else.

It's time to focus on the here and now, good or bad.  For many years we all seemed to focus on the wait till next year cry, just to be disappointed year after year.  Funny but the one time many of us didn't look forward to a new season, Hardy's senior year, was the best season we had in the last decade.

Happy New Year

As Moose would say, "Doomed"! Time to fold up the program and send Lavin packing! Ridiculous! Disappointment thus far, yes, but potential for solid program, why not?

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 10:11:33 AM »
"Happy new year"....you're freaking hilarious.

Troll is obvious.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

sju89tr

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 10:16:09 AM »
No wait til next year, let's see what kind of strides we make opening the Big East season. Hopefully the kids and staff make the improvements necessary to win at a high level. I think we are too talented to fold like a cheap suit. 

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 10:28:23 AM »
"Happy new year"....you're freaking hilarious.

Troll is obvious.

Sorry, I guess my post was too complicated for you to understand.  I will try to dummy it down next time.

sju89tr

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 10:36:28 AM »

Happy New Year

Both Jordan and Lawrence are top 50 kids, that is a program changer in my opinion. If you land 3 top 50 kids every year and have proper scholarship management in terms of position, you are an NCAA team every year.

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 10:41:08 AM »

Happy New Year

Both Jordan and Lawrence are top 50 kids, that is a program changer in my opinion. If you land 3 top 50 kids every year and have proper scholarship management in terms of position, you are an NCAA team every year.

True, they are very good players and with a good plan in place will certainly add to the teams overall strength.  By program changer, I mean a player who can come in and turn a mediocre team into a final 8 team.  That is very rare indeed.  Even our guy Harkless who was arguably  our best player in the last decade couldn't do that.

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 10:45:10 AM »
1.  Lawrence is ranked 12.  R Jordan is ranked 41
2.  There are no guarantees in life.  Deal with it.
3.  I don't think it's a trend.  I think we've been pretty consistently bad at rebounding this year.
4.   I must too dumb because the sentence you wrote doesn't make any sense.

You said lets talk good or bad.  How come you don't mention anything good in your posts?

mkras99

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »
3.  I don't think it's a trend.  I think we've been pretty consistently bad at rebounding this year.

You said lets talk good or bad.  How come you don't mention anything good in your posts?

Linda is a ray of sunshine.  Didn't post much if at all before Asheville debacle.  Now can't help himself.

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 11:00:46 AM »

I did post something good, I urged that we focus on this year.  That would imply to give your support to the current addition of the squad as there is much basketball to be played. 

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 11:02:57 AM »

Linda is a ray of sunshine.  Didn't post much if at all before Asheville debacle.  Now can't help himself.

Himself?  thats rather uncalled for?  Been following the program a long time and while a fan, my patience is running thin.

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »

Himself?  thats rather uncalled for?  Been following the program a long time and while a fan, my patience is running thin.

You joined the board nov 17th and my patience is running thin with you.

crgreen

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 11:20:55 AM »
Yes.  It is hopeless.  I mean, assuming this team can't improve at all  -  if all we can do is duplicate this horrid 8-4 start the rest of the way, we end up a miserable 26-13.   

Call off the season.

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 11:27:05 AM »
The problem is every preseason most of you overestimate the team, and then some of you start bitching. If you add those guys to the guys that will bitch no matter what, then that is a lot of bitching. Then you have the guys like Moose, SJU89TW or whatever his name is and Choz(though I can only follow a third of his posts) who act as if you should root for the team as if it is a 7 year old soccer team. So basically if you put the overestimaters, chronic bitchers and pom pom waivers all on the same site, there is going to be conflict.
The answer is easy, just have low expectations. See some of you have delusions of grandeur. Whilst me personally, I only aspire for the team to get back the one and done Louie years. Lavin was able to break like 15 years of ineptitude, and I don't think we are that far away from getting back to the one and done good times, so I am patient. I still think we make the NIT this year and unless Harrison transfers and or Sampson does something insane, I think we are a tourney team next year.

Moose

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 12:48:43 PM »
The problem is every preseason most of you overestimate the team, and then some of you start bitching. If you add those guys to the guys that will bitch no matter what, then that is a lot of bitching. Then you have the guys like Moose, SJU89TW or whatever his name is and Choz(though I can only follow a third of his posts) who act as if you should root for the team as if it is a 7 year old soccer team. So basically if you put the overestimaters, chronic bitchers and pom pom waivers all on the same site, there is going to be conflict.
The answer is easy, just have low expectations. See some of you have delusions of grandeur. Whilst me personally, I only aspire for the team to get back the one and done Louie years. Lavin was able to break like 15 years of ineptitude, and I don't think we are that far away from getting back to the one and done good times, so I am patient. I still think we make the NIT this year and unless Harrison transfers and or Sampson does something insane, I think we are a tourney team next year.

Guess you missed my posts from Asheville game. Maybe you should look back.  I'm kind of flattered your hard on for me continues though
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 12:49:39 PM »
Might be wrong but I recall a Linda posting on Redmen before the site crashed. Pretty sure the posts were about Iona too

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 01:00:25 PM »
Guess you missed my posts from Asheville game. Maybe you should look back.  I'm kind of flattered your hard on for me continues though

Of the people who post on these sites, I would consider you overly positive. But why are you so defensive about it? It is not necessarily a bad thing. You are also younger I believe, so you missed our "glory years" and therefore unfortunately 13- 17 wins is what you are accustomed to. For the record I respect you staying positive over the people who are delusional, then start complaining or the people who just complain no matter what. 

Moose

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 01:09:23 PM »

Of the people who post on these sites, I would consider you overly positive. But why are you so defensive about it? It is not necessarily a bad thing. You are also younger I believe, so you missed our "glory years" and therefore unfortunately 13- 17 wins is what you are accustomed to. For the record I respect you staying positive over the people who are delusional, then start complaining or the people who just complain no matter what. 

Funny you say that I'm such a positive person.  The reason I get defensive about it is because its probably the farthest from the truth.  Many posters here know me, have known me for a decade, have sat with me, traveled with me and often joke about how I'm never a positive person.  For those who think Lavin can do no wrong in my eyes I've been very critical this summer and into this year. Kid gloves are off and I've said multiple times its NCAAs or its a failure this season. 

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 01:16:31 PM »
I don't know you personally, but as far a the basketball team is concerned I don't think anyone would classify you as a bitcher. Again this is not a bad thing, but if memory serves you were a late comer to the Norm bashing party. That def goes on your pom pom record.  ;D
If you are going to fall of the wagon and go all REAL FAN on us, I would suggest waiting till next season as we are not making the tourney this season. I think if we are in the same boat next year Lavin starts to take a hit. Missing last season and Harkless leaving pushed the team's progression back a year.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:18:12 PM by we are sju »

Moose

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »
I don't know you personally, but as far a the basketball team is concerned I don't think anyone would classify you as a bitcher. Again this is not a bad thing, but if memory serves you were a late comer to the Norm bashing party. That def goes on your pom pom record.  ;D
If you are going to fall of the wagon and go all REAL FAN on us, I would suggest waiting till next season as we are not making the tourney this season. I think if we are in the same boat next year Lavin starts to take a hit. Missing last season and Harkless leaving pushed the team's progression back a year.

I gave Norm 4 yrs.  Last 2 yrs I was 'off the wagon' as you say.  Thanks for your suggestion but I can make up my mind on my own.  I'm a big boy.  Funny how your advising I hold onto my pom poms longer yet you bash me for giving Norm 4 yrs.

The roster construction is flawed.  Keep telling everyone there are Top 100 players is all well and good but if there is no diversity among the positions then its a cluster F.

I can provide critical commentary in a legit way without comparing me to other posters.