Rebounding Deficiencies

• 76 replies
Re: Rebounding Deficiencies
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 10:42:38 AM »
It's sad because we might not be having this discussion should Gathers not have ditched and we lost our #1 option for the of spot.  We don't have a post player which is killing us right now.  Need Sanchez cleared pronto, because even if he's not a banger, he's a 6'9" athlete who can fill the role up front alongside Obekpa and Jakarr.

LeBryan Nash would have helped too.  Fact is we have a bunch of lithe athletes who can't match up with bigger stronger bodies under the boards and in post defense.  if we had gotten either Nash or Gathers this would be a different team, but we lost out on both. :(

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »
It's sad because we might not be having this discussion should Gathers not have ditched and we lost our #1 option for the of spot.  We don't have a post player which is killing us right now.  Need Sanchez cleared pronto, because even if he's not a banger, he's a 6'9" athlete who can fill the role up front alongside Obekpa and Jakarr.

LeBryan Nash would have helped too.  Fact is we have a bunch of lithe athletes who can't match up with bigger stronger bodies under the boards and in post defense.  if we had gotten either Nash or Gathers this would be a different team, but we lost out on both. :(
And if Sanchez is not here next year, a Gift, Lawrence and Jordan combination doesn't solve our poor rebounding situation.

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »
Amir garrett played like a warrior last night. Continuously got fouled but ignored the refs ineptitude and fought like a monster.

He played like any person who wears a st johns jersey should play.

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 01:07:38 PM »
I miss Mo's rebounding aptitude as well.   :(

paultzman

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »

Mo, although a bit slight of build, could really rebound defensively in traffic, something sorely lacking this year.

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 01:31:09 PM »

Mo, although a bit slight of build, could really rebound defensively in traffic, something sorely lacking this year.

Great rebounder. Got the ball at its highest point and if it touched his hands it was going down with him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 01:40:28 PM »
Both guys can jump, but Harkless went agressively after the ball and is physically stronger than Sampson. Sampson seems to get nudged by bigger guys while jumping and is pushed around.

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 01:53:08 PM »
Great rebounder. Got the ball at its highest point and if it touched his hands it was going down with him.

Excellent, succinct description of his talent.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2013, 08:06:55 PM »
has anyone noticed in the last few games that after a miss, the bench is yelling "rebound!"  You can definitely hear Lavin's voice on the TV.  it seems to me our guys aren't being taught the fundamentals of boxing out.  while Lavin yells for rebounds as sort of a cry for effort from our guys, our guys either forget or don't know how to box out.  this is especially true on jumpers.

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 01:23:36 AM »
Rebounding is almost instinctive. If you have to think about it, there is little time to get into position, and boxing out requires thought before the shot is even taken. Our group is deficient in this area, and developing the requisite instincts does not come over night. It will be a long year, and we can only hole it comes. The best harbinger is Garrett, who is in fact developing the instincts needed to anticipate angles and position. He has made huge strides since the season began. You can bet they are hearing this every day in practice.

Poison

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 08:08:25 AM »
Rebounding is almost instinctive. If you have to think about it, there is little time to get into position, and boxing out requires thought before the shot is even taken. Our group is deficient in this area, and developing the requisite instincts does not come over night. It will be a long year, and we can only hole it comes. The best harbinger is Garrett, who is in fact developing the instincts needed to anticipate angles and position. He has made huge strides since the season began. You can bet they are hearing this every day in practice.

I get the feeling they practice like a high school girls team.

gman

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2013, 11:06:56 AM »
We need some beef. We need a Ty Grant . Or team is athletic but get overpowered easy.

Tiznow

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2013, 11:45:35 PM »
On Christmas Day we went to my sister in laws house. My 7 year old nephew had a nerf rim over his door. He was playing against my 3 year old son and kept vollying the rebounds to himself. That is what watching SJU try to rebound reminds me of.

They just beat the second best rebounders in the country on the boards. 

Any comments on their rebounding? 

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2013, 11:59:01 PM »
On Christmas Day we went to my sister in laws house. My 7 year old nephew had a nerf rim over his door. He was playing against my 3 year old son and kept vollying the rebounds to himself. That is what watching SJU try to rebound reminds me of.

One game does not a season make.  Now that we know they are capable of some good board work, let's strive for some consistency.

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2013, 12:08:11 AM »
Anybody still think they practice rebounding like a girls team?

Tiznow

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2013, 12:13:13 AM »

One game does not a season make.  Now that we know they are capable of some good board work, let's strive for some consistency.

Linda, do you enjoy posting after wins?  It seems that you post so much more when the Johnnies lose. 

Poison

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2013, 12:13:29 AM »
Anybody still think they practice rebounding like a girls team?

They finally got after it, but come on, that wasn't an unfair statement at all.

MCNPA

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2013, 12:17:09 AM »

We should have beaten Nova too if not for bogus fouls.   We didn't play D nor rebound like today though.  Next 5-game stretch could make or break our season.  If we own it, we could be sitting pretty or shitty depending.  The next few games are ALL winnable.   I don't care about odds, stats etc.  we can beat RU twice if we play solid.  We certainly can beat DePaul.  Georgetown scores about 45 points per game and if we defend, we win.  We've owned Notre dame the last 5-6 years and I think we still can because our style is a problem for them.  We "can" win 5.  We "should" win at least 3...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:18:26 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2013, 12:18:50 AM »

One game does not a season make.

There's the comment we were all waiting for from Linda after we knocked off #14. As if any of us think we're worldbeaters after one win. No it's called "enjoying the win."

Tiznow

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2013, 12:23:14 AM »

We should have beaten Nova too if not for bogus fouls.   We didn't play D nor rebound like today though.  Next 5-game stretch could make or break our season.  If we own it, we could be sitting pretty or shitty depending.  The next few games are ALL winnable.   I don't care about odds, stats etc.  we can beat RU twice if we play solid.  We certainly can beat DePaul.  Georgetown scores about 45 points per game and if we defend, we win.  We've owned Notre dame the last 5-6 years and I think we still can because our style is a problem for them.  We "can" win 5.  We "should" win at least 3...

I think Moose was right about this team playing to their level of competition.  I bet this teams loses games they should win and wins games they should lose.  I hope they grow up fast.