Rutgers Game

• 295 replies
Re: Rutgers Game
« Reply #280 on: January 10, 2013, 03:30:07 PM »
Phil Greene is a second string mid major 2 guard. And if you think I'm joking he's not better than george Beamon, Sean Armand, Derek needham or nurideen :-\

Nah. Way to harsh.

Take the ball out of Phils hands and he's productive.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #281 on: January 10, 2013, 03:32:10 PM »
Greene is a back up big east 2G, hes a starting mid major 2G,  all he has is that mid range jumper and im surprised he makes many as he does cause often hes leaning on his shots, his 3 point shot is below average, pretty good defender, i just think that he needs to come off the bench.  Who woulda thought ty edmondson or quincy roberts would play as well as they did when they went elsewhere, thats why i think Greene would def start for mid major team.

Branch on the other hand needs more playing time and that will help with his decsion making, you can tell from spurts that Branch is talented, he just needs more PT and that will bring more confidence.

Chilleb

« Reply #282 on: January 10, 2013, 03:32:19 PM »
Phil Greene is a second string mid major 2 guard. And if you think I'm joking he's not better than george Beamon, Sean Armand, Derek needham or nurideen :-\

Nah. Way to harsh.

Yes he is more productive on the wing, but honestly speaking which one of those 3 guards is Phil better than except nurideen he was more of a joke :P

gman

« Reply #283 on: January 10, 2013, 03:37:20 PM »
Replay in MSG at 4. Enjoy

« Reply #284 on: January 10, 2013, 03:39:46 PM »

Nah. Way to harsh.

Yes he is more productive on the wing, but honestly speaking which one of those 3 guards is Phil better than except nurideen he was more of a joke :P

Dont want to inadvertantly put down any player, but cant compare what Sean Armand do against Niagara, St. Pete's and the like vs STJ's sked.

Sean is goin off as a Junior as well he should. But Phil has better stats his first two year against better comp.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #285 on: January 10, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »
But Phil has better stats his first two year against better comp.

Greene shot 36% as a frosh and is shooting 39% now so there has been improvement from horrific to horrible.
Unfortunately he now dribbles around in a circle where as last year he just dribbled side to side. If this regression continues he might start dribbling backwards.

« Reply #286 on: January 10, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »
This was a horrific loss.  If you can't beat Rutgers at home, goodnight.  Absolutely no coaching going on at the end of that game, none.  Bad shot by Harrison who should have had the ball in the last possession. Could he not have driven and got fouled?  The Cinci game means crap after this loss.  I am totally disgusted.

Just Awfull!!!!!!
coaches can't be at the line...your best FT shooter can. The 3 pt shot was greedy but he had a good look. The season isn't over, but the pressure is building.
Listen free throws hurt as just as much as the poor offensive continuity , rotation, crunch time coaching, missed layups and turn overs stop bringing the game just to free throws because it is convenient, the game wasn't a free throw shooting contest it was a 40 minute basketball game

Game 1:
Nova 81%  Us 60% - Close loss

Game 2:
Cinc. 54%  Us 73% - Close win

Game 3:
Ru     64% Us 56% - Close lose

In Summary:  In close BE contests in which we shoot a better FT percentage than the opponent we win; and when we shoot a worse FT percentage we lose.

I know it renders all of the paralysis by overanalysis we do here on a daily basis moot.  But these close games really do get decided based on how well your team shoots standing all alone at an unguarded basket 15 ft away compared to the other guys.

« Reply #287 on: January 10, 2013, 04:22:56 PM »
Stay stong my favorite player Phil "Mean Joe" Greene.  Stay strong!

« Reply #288 on: January 10, 2013, 04:37:58 PM »

Nah. Way to harsh.

Agree.  I don't know why people are so down on Phil.  He has been put in a role by the staff that e shouldn't be in.  He is a SG/ wing player, not a PG. he didn't come to the school with the rep that the other players came with.  He gives it his all on a regular basis and never complains or has an attitude. He is a fine young man with no chip on his shoulder.  The staff needs to take the heat for his production or lack of it.  We should be supporting this kid.

DFF6

« Reply #289 on: January 10, 2013, 04:42:11 PM »
 ;)

Nah. Way to harsh.

Agree.  I don't know why people are so down on Phil.  He has been put in a role by the staff that e shouldn't be in.  He is a SG/ wing player, not a PG. he didn't come to the school with the rep that the other players came with.  He gives it his all on a regular basis and never complains or has an attitude. He is a fine young man with no chip on his shoulder.  The staff needs to take the heat for his production or lack of it.  We should be supporting this kid.

Who are you and what did you do with Linda? ;)

Chilleb

« Reply #290 on: January 10, 2013, 08:00:39 PM »

Nah. Way to harsh.

Dont want to inadvertantly put down any player, but cant compare what Sean Armand do against Niagara, St. Pete's and the like vs STJ's sked.

Sean is goin off as a Junior as well he should. But Phil has better stats his first two year against better comp.
Our sked was full of cupcakes too though, I just Phil on the wing. Put him on the wing and I think our ball club improves tremendously

MCNPA

« Reply #291 on: January 10, 2013, 08:44:25 PM »

Nah. Way to harsh.

Our sked was full of cupcakes too though, I just Phil on the wing. Put him on the wing and I think our ball club improves tremendously

Agree here.  Phil good scoring off screens or driving but not with ball in his hands.  Too much for him to think about.  Not only that, but I think Branch will be quite good.  His no-look was amazing and just a small taste of what I think we can expect more of. We'll improve a ton with branch getting 25+ minutes at the pg spot.

« Reply #292 on: January 10, 2013, 09:41:27 PM »

"Agree here.  Phil good scoring off screens or driving but not with ball in his hands.  Too much for him to think about.  Not only that, but I think Branch will be quite good.  His no-look was amazing and just a small taste of what I think we can expect more of. We'll improve a ton with branch getting 25+ minutes at the pg spot."

I just wanna know why Branch hasn't been playing more already. I get the fact that he hasn't played in games in a year, and maybe they are trying to ease him into it, but come on already! Phil took so many bad shots down the stretch in the game yesterday. I remember one play in the first half when he drove to the bucket, Marco was wide open on the wing, Phil definitely saw him and chose to take a bad runner anyway. (this was the play Obekpa had a tip slam on). I think if we had branch in the game at the end, that would have been a win for sure.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:41:52 PM by survivedc »

« Reply #293 on: January 11, 2013, 12:36:06 AM »

"Agree here.  Phil good scoring off screens or driving but not with ball in his hands.  Too much for him to think about.  Not only that, but I think Branch will be quite good.  His no-look was amazing and just a small taste of what I think we can expect more of. We'll improve a ton with branch getting 25+ minutes at the pg spot."

I just wanna know why Branch hasn't been playing more already. I get the fact that he hasn't played in games in a year, and maybe they are trying to ease him into it, but come on already! Phil took so many bad shots down the stretch in the game yesterday. I remember one play in the first half when he drove to the bucket, Marco was wide open on the wing, Phil definitely saw him and chose to take a bad runner anyway. (this was the play Obekpa had a tip slam on). I think if we had branch in the game at the end, that would have been a win for sure.

Saw that play too. Couldn't believe he didn't give it up to him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #294 on: January 11, 2013, 02:50:06 AM »
Only positive is I admire Sampson for wanting to take the last shot. No one else besides D-lo would have the balls to take it.

FT shooting, bad first half rebounding, and another poor start. Can't be down 10 in first 5 minutes every game.

I don't think Branch is the answer at the point, but Phil certainly isn't. I'm hoping Branch is a case of rust and his eye not 100%.  If not, we are in trouble. 

I am of the opinion that this is more on the players than the staff.  Dumb turnovers and missed FT aren't something the staff has control over. 

I dont get what people have against branch. He played good. dished out 3 assists which accounted for 8 points and a point from himself. IN 8 MINUTES!

I hope I'm wrong.. I'm not seeing it.  Why didn't he play down the stretch again?  You have to admit, he has been careless with the ball in limited action.   I will gladly admit I'm wrong if/when he turns into the PG this team needs.

He hasnt been super protective with the ball, I think 3/4ths of his TO's have been the same one he had today, come down the middle on the break and not sure whether he should drive/pass/ or shoot. That might be because he hasnt played in over a year and Lavin pulls him every couple of minutes.

What is absolutly 100% obvious to me is that he can pass the ball and he can get to the hole. 2 things that phil greene 100% cant do. good enough for me. Let phill spot up on the wing and just worry about scoring.

Absolutely! Phil needs to be off the ball...I actually think he dribbles behind his back by bouncing it and jumping in front of it...Branch's risk taking may result in some turnovers but I absolutely see the potential for double digit assists on some nights...he can make other guys (besides Harrison) better...no one else on the team remotely has that ability

I know its crazy but its almost as if Lavin wants Jordan to see the possibilty of minutes by not playing Branch

Would hope not and admit it is a far fetched notion...I just don't believe that he doesn't see what 95% of the folks on this board see...only other explanation I can think of is blind loyalty (to Greene...ala Norm to Lawrence over Hardy) or just trying to deliver a message to Branch re: turnovers...can't see anything else

« Reply #295 on: January 11, 2013, 03:04:30 AM »
Greene is a back up big east 2G, hes a starting mid major 2G,  all he has is that mid range jumper and im surprised he makes many as he does cause often hes leaning on his shots, his 3 point shot is below average, pretty good defender, i just think that he needs to come off the bench.  Who woulda thought ty edmondson or quincy roberts would play as well as they did when they went elsewhere, thats why i think Greene would def start for mid major team.

Branch on the other hand needs more playing time and that will help with his decsion making, you can tell from spurts that Branch is talented, he just needs more PT and that will bring more confidence.

At he beginning of the season I noticed that Greene had stopped leaning away on his jump shots (and cleaned up his stroke) and as a result was shooting well (actually thought he was going to be the most inproved player). He has, since, fallen back into those tendencies with the inherent inconsistent results. I liken it to an amateur golfer falling back into some bad swing flaws due to distraction with other aspects of the game. Putting him off the ball can hopefully get him back to focusing on a limited # of aspects of the game.