Sampson Discussion from Rysheed Jordan Thread

• 20 replies

Moose

Sampson Discussion from Rysheed Jordan Thread
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:06:40 PM »
With or without d'lo he starts from day 1. Name one guard besides d'lo who's more talented than him

Agree.  Start harrison sheed and branch w/ lawrence and obekpa after jakarr gets drafted 18th overall.

Jakarr isn't going pro. He's too skinny.

Karr is listed at 204.  Moe is listed at 210 THIS year for Orlando.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

Re: Sampson Discussion from Rysheed Jordan Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 05:56:10 PM »
With or without d'lo he starts from day 1. Name one guard besides d'lo who's more talented than him

Agree.  Start harrison sheed and branch w/ lawrence and obekpa after jakarr gets drafted 18th overall.

Moe can play like a guard. Jakarr cannot. Tell me what Swingman in the NBA can't shoot a 3 pointer?

He's definitely not a 4, because he hasn't mastered that role at the college level. He probably will one day, and I hope he does, but if he jumps now, both him and the program will be severely affected. He might not get picked at all. There is simply too much improvement needed. Both in the weight room, and on the court.

sju89tr

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:57:52 PM »
I don't see a problem getting 4 guards minutes but then pointer and garrett are the 3's with sampson and lawrence? at 4 with obekpa and gift at 5 That leaves no minutes for hooper felix and either marco or jones.

Not advocating a transfer but I don't see this roster with both Marco and Hooper next year and Max is going nowhere. I also really love felix's upside. He is a pleasant surprise.

Don't want to take this thread off topic, but no way Gift is starting at center next year Ted.   That spot is all Obekpas.   Sampson or Jermaine Lawrence are our 4, and after that we can fill in the blanks depending on if you want a 3 guard lineup or what have you.

I said Obekpa and Gift at 5

sju89tr

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 06:01:08 PM »

Moe can play like a guard. Jakarr cannot. Tell me what Swingman in the NBA can't shoot a 3 pointer?

He's definitely not a 4, because he hasn't mastered that role at the college level. He probably will one day, and I hope he does, but if he jumps now, both him and the program will be severely affected. He might not get picked at all. There is simply too much improvement needed. Both in the weight room, and on the court.

I think Karr better shooter than Moe.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »

Moe can't shoot a 3 either

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 07:10:13 PM »

I don't think he's hit a three yet.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 07:13:59 PM »

How many has he shot? If he shot them as often as Moe, I bet he'd shoot over 20%. Moe was much better in other aspects though.

Chilleb

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 07:46:07 PM »
Moe is more 3 than 4, while karr is more 4 than 3 at this point, that's why moe was so sought after, not to mention he has about an inch on karr

MCNPA

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 08:12:51 PM »
Moe is more 3 than 4, while karr is more 4 than 3 at this point, that's why moe was so sought after, not to mention he has about an inch on karr

IMO, Jakarr certainly needs at least another year and 20lbs or so.  Jakarr has a nice jumper but doesn't have Moe's smooth offensive game yet.  While Jakarr's numbers are good, he doesn't have the same NBA readiness that Moe had at the same point, which is fine.  I think Jakarr will be a pro for certain.  He just needs more time and seasoning, which most players do.  Even schools like KU, Duke, UNC and others have plenty of top 30 players that take more than one year to develop.  Jakarr at this point, would be stupid to try to jump at this point.  Certainly things could change, but he's not where Moe Harkless was at the same point.  Moe was a rare case.  In addition, I'd absolutely love to we Jakarr Sampson and Jermaine Lawrence at the 4/3 respectively, with Obekpa and gift at center.  Could be a special team. 

Chilleb

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 08:15:04 PM »

IMO, Jakarr certainly needs at least another year and 20lbs or so.  Jakarr has a nice jumper but doesn't have Moe's smooth offensive game yet.  While Jakarr's numbers are good, he doesn't have the same NBA readiness that Moe had at the same point, which is fine.  I think Jakarr will be a pro for certain.  He just needs more time and seasoning, which most players do.  Even schools like KU, Duke, UNC and others have plenty of top 30 players that take more than one year to develop.  Jakarr at this point, would be stupid to try to jump at this point.  Certainly things could change, but he's not where Moe Harkless was at the same point.  Moe was a rare case.  In addition, I'd absolutely love to we Jakarr Sampson and Jermaine Lawrence at the 4/3 respectively, with Obekpa and gift at center.  Could be a special team.
+1

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 08:44:24 AM »

How many has he shot? If he shot them as often as Moe, I bet he'd shoot over 20%. Moe was much better in other aspects though.

At 1/3 of the way into the season that's kinda my point.  If he had confidence in his outside shot he'd be taking more threes.  there have been times when he's been open behind the arc and turned down the shot.  Sure Moe wasn't exactly singing the twines from behind the arc but he had the shot.  for Ted to say Karr's a better shooter is a little off in my book.

sju89tr

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 09:09:46 AM »

Better mid range game in my opinion. Trust me I don't think either is the second coming of Chris Mullin but I have been more impressed with Karr's shooting than I was with Moe's.

sju89tr

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 09:12:46 AM »

At 1/3 of the way into the season that's kinda my point.  If he had confidence in his outside shot he'd be taking more threes.  there have been times when he's been open behind the arc and turned down the shot.  Sure Moe wasn't exactly singing the twines from behind the arc but he had the shot.  for Ted to say Karr's a better shooter is a little off in my book.

To add to your point, I am glad Karr isn't shooting three's, it would be a bad shot selection in my opinion but shooting like 20% from the 3 like Moe did wasn't a good idea either. I don't want people to think I am bashing Moe or anything, he did other things better than Karr such as creating his own shot.   

paultzman

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 10:14:03 AM »

To add to your point, I am glad Karr isn't shooting three's, it would be a bad shot selection in my opinion but shooting like 20% from the 3 like Moe did wasn't a good idea either. I don't want people to think I am bashing Moe or anything, he did other things better than Karr such as creating his own shot.   

Big part of success is knowing your limitations. Karr seems to get that. IMO, a budding Sealy.

Moose

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 10:19:27 AM »

Big part of success is knowing your limitations. Karr seems to get that. IMO, a budding Sealy.

Exactly.

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 10:26:18 AM »
When did this become a "Jakarr go Pro" thread?

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »

That's a stretch right now, Malik had a complete game inside and out. 

paultzman

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 11:16:32 AM »

That's a stretch right now, Malik had a complete game inside and out. 

Budding is not a stretch IMO. See where Malik was in his first season. Not saying Karr will have same pro career, but JS has similar collegiate potential. Difference is Malik stayed four years.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:18:51 AM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »
“@LennRobbins: JaKarr Sampson with 4 big east player of the week awards.  Needs 6 more to catch Carmelo's record if 10 #stjbb”

Poison

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 02:35:17 PM »

You have to be able to play workout facing the basket on offense in the NBA. I have not seen Jakarr do that yet.