Bourgault and Hooper????

• 105 replies
Bourgault and Hooper????
« on: January 09, 2013, 11:35:30 PM »
I don't get. It.  Perhaps someone can enlighten me.  Why in the world did coach Lavin bring in Marco and Marco II ( Max Hooper), if Coach is not going to set up any plays for the young man. I am sure that when he recruited him, he was aware of his lack of foot speed and creating his own shot. If you are not then going to run set plays for him off of screens what's the point of having him on the team? It seems as though he and Cooper , a carbon copy of Marco will not be utilized to their full potential or strengths?

Why have we not seen one single screen set for this young man when shooting is his strength.  I read over and over again on this site that we need shooters, but we have shooters. Coach just needs to put them in a position to be able to shoot. 

Could someone who knows more than I please explain this situation for me.  I am at a loss.

Re: Bourgault and Hooper????
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:47:50 PM »
I don't get. It.  Perhaps someone can enlighten me.  Why in the world did coach Lavin bring in Marco and Marco II ( Max Hooper), if Coach is not going to set up any plays for the young man. I am sure that when he recruited him, he was aware of his lack of foot speed and creating his own shot. If you are not then going to run set plays for him off of screens what's the point of having him on the team? It seems as though he and Cooper , a carbon copy of Marco will not be utilized to their full potential or strengths?

Why have we not seen one single screen set for this young man when shooting is his strength.  I read over and over again on this site that we need shooters, but we have shooters. Coach just needs to put them in a position to be able to shoot. 

Could someone who knows more than I please explain this situation for me.  I am at a loss.

You may be right re: Bourgault, but to rip on Hooper and/or the staff before he's even eligible to play a game for us, is just flat wrong, IMO.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:04:44 AM »

You may be right re: Bourgault, but to rip on Hooper and/or the staff before he's even eligible to play a game for us, is just flat wrong, IMO.

How do you spin it as ripping on anyone?  Both have been said to be the same type of player.  Great shooters without an ability to create their own shot?  I basically would like to understand why Marco and potentially Hooper in the future, is not having any plays run for him.  We have seen what other good shooting guards have done to us. Haslet from Baylor is also not an exceptionally quick guard, yet he lit us up for 20 or 30 points cause they constantly down screened to get him open.

I am not ripping on anyone just trying to understand what coach Lavins thinking on this is.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:41:39 AM »

How do you spin it as ripping on anyone?  Both have been said to be the same type of player.  Great shooters without an ability to create their own shot?  I basically would like to understand why Marco and potentially Hooper in the future, is not having any plays run for him.  We have seen what other good shooting guards have done to us. Haslet from Baylor is also not an exceptionally quick guard, yet he lit us up for 20 or 30 points cause they constantly down screened to get him open.

I am not ripping on anyone just trying to understand what coach Lavins thinking on this is.

Bourgault needs more time and someone who gets the ball to him in a spot where he can shoot...Great example was a drive by one of Rutgers guards that drew our defense at which point he threw a great pass to the wing for a wide open 3....Bourgault needs to be in with Branch...Greene cannot create opportunities for others

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:15:22 AM »
greene was always inconsistant...now he's a total liability.

branch should use up ALL his minutes.  bourgault...who can at least hit free throws...should be given major minutes. 

i don't know what goes on in practice, except no one is staying later to work on free throws.  if roberts was still coaching we'd be all over him right now.

Moose

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 08:22:57 AM »

branch should use up ALL his minutes.  bourgault...who can at least hit free throws...should be given major minutes. 

i don't know what goes on in practice, except no one is staying later to work on free throws.  if roberts was still coaching we'd be all over him right now.

Lavin's coach and we are all over him.
The honeymoon is over.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 08:31:14 AM »

The honeymoon is over.

Lavin has made some very poor choices. And he's still making them.
Greene has to sit. He's killing this team.

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:05:46 AM »

The honeymoon is over.

Double amen!

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:57:22 AM »
Greene has recessed to where he was last year.
So to recap as a frosh, mostly because he played the point, he sucked and I posted that Geno was a better point guard. Earlier this year my buddy Choz tried to use that post against me.
At beginning of season, Greene was being aggressive offensively and was hitting his shots and looked like a real good combo guard.
Now Greene plays the point by dribbling around in a circle and can't hit a shot. He is shooting under 40% for season and now he sucks again. Strange ride!
I would suggest Bourgalt steal some of his minutes, but with the offense we run, what would be the point?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:13:19 AM by we are sju »

Moose

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 10:12:11 AM »

I would suggest Bourgalt steal some of his minutes, but with the offense we run, what would be the point?

Exactly right.  Marco just doesn't fit what were trying to do.
Actually what are we trying to do exactly?
Throwing Top 100 players against a wall and hoping the majority work out?  Is that it?

We have a flawed roster constructed with players who don't fit what were trying to do.  I thought we were gonna run and gun.  I don't see running and gunning.  Games in the 50's is not running and gunning.  Did Lavin lie to us there again?

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:15:06 AM »
It is funny that most on these boards thought we would be better just becuas we now had more players. Last couple games Lavin basically played 6 guys ???

Moose

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 10:22:47 AM »
It is funny that most on these boards thought we would be better just becuas we now had more players. Last couple games Lavin basically played 6 guys ???

Well we have 13 ships (which people know I'm not a fan of).
3 ppl are sitting out.  1 by force, 1 by NCAA limbo and 1 by choice.
Scholarship #10 is glued to bench and looks like his dog was run over.
Scholarship #9 had a 2 game stint where everyone loved him and now he gets token appearance.
Scholarship #8 comes in game as a decoy which I actually don't mind.  It works a bit too.  Too bad he can't get any shots.

That leaves 7 guys.

kjd01067

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 10:32:59 AM »

The honeymoon is over.

Double amen!

I haven't been a fan of Greene's game since last year.  I was hoping after the first game that things had changed, but I was mistaken.  His minutes need to go to someone else.  He is hurting us out there and needs a wake up call.

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »

Exactly right.  Marco just doesn't fit what were trying to do.
Actually what are we trying to do exactly?
Throwing Top 100 players against a wall and hoping the majority work out?  Is that it?

We have a flawed roster constructed with players who don't fit what were trying to do.  I thought we were gonna run and gun.  I don't see running and gunning.  Games in the 50's is not running and gunning.  Did Lavin lie to us there again?

Perhaps t is that coach Lavin and staff may not have the coaching skills or offensive philosophy to effectively utilize a player like Marco. Marco would strive in a more structured offensive environment with set plays and screens. I too am still trying to figure out what the game plan is.  One thing I did notice however was how often ( I counted at least three times) a player would dribble in the lane with his back to the basket and had the ball stripped. That's one of the first things you teach kids not to do at any level of play.

I just wonder sometimes if Lavin brought in Marco to help get Sanchez as what is going on here makes no sense.

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 11:22:22 AM »
Evry program needs practice players.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

boo3

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 11:23:36 AM »

We just need practice...

Moose

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 11:26:08 AM »

That is true.
But staff can't hype up players telling us were have Steve Kerr and John Paxson on the team now.  Or a bull in a china shop who can't get dirty to get a rebound.  They both look miserable.

redslope

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 12:36:40 PM »
Where's Marco?????

Last night he appeared for 5 minutes and the team was PLUS 8 during the time he was in (down 6-13 to up 18-17).  He did not do anything in the boxscore but something good was happening.  If he was just a "decoy" then so be it as he didn't hurt the team defensively.   He seemed more comfortable in moving on defense and even if they don't get him the ball he is respected by the opposition and covered.  He needs to run the baseline on offense rather than be placed on one side and becoming a fixture.  His time must expand and with Branch as point guard maybe he will see the ball.

FREE SANCHEZ NOW >:(

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 12:45:06 PM »
The difference one bucket makes over the course of a 40 minute game on the mood and discourse of our fanbase is remarkable.

SJUFAN

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 12:46:13 PM »

That is true.
But staff can't hype up players telling us were have Steve Kerr and John Paxson on the team now.  Or a bull in a china shop who can't get dirty to get a rebound.  They both look miserable.

Kerr and Paxson had Jordan. We don't have those dynamic players' right now. How did Kerr's game look when he didn't play with Jordan? Same player different results. Kerr would tell you today his career lasted longer than it should have if not for playing with Jordan.