Notre Dame Game

• 335 replies
Re: Notre Dame Game
« Reply #280 on: January 16, 2013, 08:22:20 AM »
Anyone notice the espn highlights online?  Who is this "Williams" guy the sportscaster references near the end of the clip?????  Mystery recruit in the stands making plays on the court?????

Poison

« Reply #281 on: January 16, 2013, 08:31:07 AM »
Felix is an interesting case study. He played seven minutes and recorded NO stats. Not a foul, not a steal, not a block, not a shot attempt. For him playing so well early I'm surprised he hasn't been more useful.

He has no court awareness. Doesn't know where the ball is. But he does stay w his man.

« Reply #282 on: January 16, 2013, 08:33:50 AM »
Good win.  Lavin almost blew it going into our ipusual delay offense with 7 minutes to play.  We actually play better when the game is on the line then when we are up.i think this is the third time in a row we beat them at the Garden.  Now on to bottom feeder DePaul and there we should expect to win.

Genius.  Start another disingenuous thread about SJU.

Thanks for the compliment.  If you put everything you knew about this game on a pin head, there would still be room for an SUV.

« Reply #283 on: January 16, 2013, 08:39:12 AM »
Good win.  Lavin almost blew it going into our ipusual delay offense with 7 minutes to play.  We actually play better when the game is on the line then when we are up.i think this is the third time in a row we beat them at the Garden.  Now on to bottom feeder DePaul and there we should expect to win.

Linda, didn't you expect a win tonight?

Yes and no.  No by the way we have been playing lately, but yes by the way ND has been playing lately and our success against them at the Garden.  But before I get all excited about this win and set myself up for disappointment, as after the Cinci game, I want to see how they do over the next 4 games.

tnice

« Reply #284 on: January 16, 2013, 09:10:53 AM »
Some Random Thoughts

Positives
-Phil Greene was cooking inside the arc. 5-9 shooting and was aggressive looking to score.
-JaKarr played tough on both ends of the floor and he was rewarded getting to the line 9 times cashing in 7 times. Getting looseball in back court was a great play.
-Sir Dom also looked for his shot more than usual and was money midrange.
-D'Angelo Harrison made a difference without scoring the basketball. He made some great passes, blocked 3 shots, and didn't take many ill advised shots. Behind head pass was pro worthy.
-Jamal Branch played 31 minutes and Phil Greene had a good scoring game.
-The team only committed 9 turnovers
-9 blocked shots
-Harrison scored his only 3 off a baseline out of bounds play. He loves that curl screen.
-Christian Jones saw the floor and looked a little rusty but overall contributed
-12-15 from FT line
-Amir Garrett is at his best when slicing to the lane. More 5-7 shooting days is what stj needs from him.
-Jamal Branch hit both of his only 2 free throws in the clutch.

Negatives
-Were out rebounded 30-26
-After Pointer picked up his 3rd foul. It was questionable having him in the game and he was defending primary ball handler with full court pressure. Picked up 4th foul soon after. 5th foul was unnecessary attempt to draw charge.
-Team shot 3-17 from beyond the arc
-The fact that the team shot 17 shots from 3 was disheartening. Settled for a lot of shots against the zone of a team with visibly inferior athletes.
-D'Angelo Harrison only had 8 shots. Needs to get the ball in his hands more.
-No sets ran for Marco Bourgalt. Need to learn how to utilize him better in the half court.
-Obekpa wasn't his best tonight. Never really got into a rhythm and was having trouble switching in pick and rolls. More of a tip your cap to Mike Brey for attacking the way St. John's switches defensively.
-Deflate the ball offense (False Motion) was in full effect late in 2nd half. Nearly cost the team the game. Team doesn't have many set plays to free a guy up.
-A lot of bad fouls led to personal foul trouble and team foul trouble in the 2nd half. Notre Dame was in bonus+ for a long time and luckily didn't capitalize.

Agree w most of this. Only points of minor disagreement are:
a) tough to praise DLo for impacting the game without scoring, but call his getting "only 8 shots a negative. His lack of shots was/is/will be due to the fact that he now gets a straight double team every time he touches the ball. Very impressed with his maturity and composure this game. If we play those doubles properly, we have the personnel to make teams pay for it..which will lead to teams doubling him less.

b)Against that slow footed zone you're not going to run sets for Marco, you're just going to stick him on the opposite wing where Phil got all those open looks. That said, I dont think Marco is a Big East caliber player and I have no problem with him not being out there.

c) I dont think Brey really attacked the way we switch on pick and rolls, I think we- especially Obekpa- fouled it up and they executed perfectly. Which is why it was a great job by Lavs of sitting Obekpa most of the game.

Much credit goes to Lavs and crew for thinking outside the box and matching personnel to the game plan rather than starting the same guys and giving the same minutes to the same guys. Also credit to him for the motivational factor..it looked like he got in some people's chili between Saturday and last night and they played with some energy. Dom and Amir looked much more agressive on the offensive end and that was not a coincidence. Georgetown laid way off both of them the other day and as painful as it might be in the short run, they have to shoot those mid range J's if they're ever going to expand their repertoires and get some confidence.

A word of caution though for the "see, i told you it was all about execution" folks: we played a team last night that was tailor made for us. The anti-Georgetown. An unathletic team who could not play us man to man, which is where we've been struggling, and who we could outrebound even with our biggest guy playing 10 minutes. That zone last night was a godsend for us and so were the opportunies for transition points. But against more athletic teams, we still have to prove we can bring last nights agressiveness, unselfishness, and slashing. These next four games against lesser teams should give us a chance to do that before we play Georgetown again. That will be a nice measuring stick on how far the team has come this season.

« Reply #285 on: January 16, 2013, 09:12:55 AM »
Watching Obekpa closely, I assumed he was under the weather. I noticed at time outs Hines and Mo would pull him aside to seemingly urge him on. CO was also shaking his head and walking to the bench.  He also played in short spurts. Maybe I am wrong on this, but just wondering.

Great to see the kids battle tonight. They play a style that is tailor made to beat a good, but plodding (not the two guards) ND team. You could see our quickness and aggression bothered them.

On Saturday there were like 6 guys with that body language, so the fact that it is down to one is a good sign
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:17:15 AM by we are sju »

Moose

« Reply #286 on: January 16, 2013, 09:22:28 AM »

On Saturday there were like 6 guys with that body language, so the fact that it is down to one is a good sign

Thats it!  Everyone was sick on Saturday.

Ironically I was sick AFTER the game ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #287 on: January 16, 2013, 09:24:37 AM »
Obepka probably had a case of the pouts. Like I said I sat close to SJU bench and the eye rolls and slumped shoulders were running wild on Sat. We won and that is great but you can sort of understand Obepka being frustrated going from rookie of the week to 10 minute guy.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:32:36 AM by we are sju »

paultzman

« Reply #288 on: January 16, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »
Obepka probably had a case of the pouts. Like I said I sat close to SJU bench and the eye rolls and slumped shoulders were running wild on Sat. We won and that is great but you can sort of understand Obepka being frustrated going form rookie of the week to 10 minute guy.

Fair point.

« Reply #289 on: January 16, 2013, 10:42:16 AM »
Great win tonight!! I have nothing against him, but what's everyone's infatuation with Marco? Who is he supposed to take minutes from Amir and Dom? They both played great tonight and bring a lot more to the table at this point

He has a skill no one else on this year's team has.    Just the threat of him from the perimeter opens things up inside.  My Bruins made it to two final fours with Mike Roll filling that role.  Once upon a time, a guy named Lynn Shackleford became on of only 4 players to start on 3 NCAA title teams.    And he started as a Senior over a guy named Sidney Wicks.   Wicks would be College POY the next 2 years.   Wicks was the better player - but Shack was the better weapon for that team.

Anyway, you want to head out on the course with EVERY club in your bag.  You may not even think you need one of them, but you better darn well know how to use them all.   The only way we know how to use Marco when he's truly needed, is for him to get PT now, even tho Felix or Sir Dom or Amir might be as or more effective in todays situation.  That's not always going to be the case - we will NEED Marco in some game or games.   And we need him to be ready.

Harrisons not a threat to shoot? I get that theory and like i said I really have nothing against him, we haven't seen nearly enough of him to discount or anoint him anything. But the fact is he is shooting 30% from the field this season. That is literally last on the team.

From what I've seen there is no way he should be taking minutes away from Dom and definitely not Garrett who is the toughest player on the team and one of the few willing to rebound on every play.

« Reply #290 on: January 16, 2013, 10:55:23 AM »
They seem to win the games I dont watch. Great win boys

« Reply #291 on: January 16, 2013, 11:00:57 AM »
Harrison was getting to be a one-trick-pony there for a while so it was nice see him contribute to the victory in so many other ways last night.

He had that "do whatever it takes not to lose" face on last night which reminds me of Gerry McNamara.

« Reply #292 on: January 16, 2013, 11:33:54 AM »
Boxscore has 30 boards for ND and 26 for us.

Why do I keep reading we outrebounded them?

desco80

« Reply #293 on: January 16, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »

I think Espn's box score is off.   The official one SJU posted after the game says we out rebounded them.

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2012-2013/011513.html

redslope

« Reply #294 on: January 16, 2013, 11:40:33 AM »

You do not see the team rebounds where we had 10 to their 2.  This is what I was saying that this was truly a TEAM effort with everyone putting out to grab the ball

« Reply #295 on: January 16, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »
I was lucky enough to sit up close.  Harrison worked really hard on Defense...they all did, but early on, you could tell the emphasis on on the ball defense.  Dom, Harrison, Green and Branch were soo aggressive and why not, we have the depth to do it.  Back to Harrison for a second, one of the best games I have seen him play.  He rebounded, Played Defense, Passed the ball and most importantly, didn't force anything. 

« Reply #296 on: January 16, 2013, 12:08:49 PM »

You do not see the team rebounds where we had 10 to their 2.  This is what I was saying that this was truly a TEAM effort with everyone putting out to grab the ball

What is a team rebound?

redslope

« Reply #297 on: January 16, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »

What is a team rebound?

google team rebounds for explanation

MCNPA

« Reply #298 on: January 16, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »
He has a skill no one else on this year's team has.    Just the threat of him from the perimeter opens things up inside.  My Bruins made it to two final fours with Mike Roll filling that role. 

Oh please. Sophie Marceau is awful. He hasn't made a field goal in 2013. He's played more than 10 minutes twice in his career. No one knows who he is, no one is threatened by anything he does on the court, and he opens up nothing. The only danger he poses is to SJ, in that he might collaborate with any German players on the other team.

I personally think he was brought in to help lure Sanchez a bit.  Lavin probably figured we could use a "shooter" anyway and it would be a kid that could contribute somewhere.  Unfortunately we didn't get Sanchez on the court and Bourgault's setup on his shots takes too long.  His shooting motion is too slow and his low release doesnt allow him to get off treys without being wide open.  Bourgault can probably contribute in some games, but not for any real minutes.

« Reply #299 on: January 16, 2013, 12:28:43 PM »

What is a team rebound?

I saw the same in the official team boxscore (that we had many
more "team rebounds")& looked back @ the game tape.

I looked back at the 1st 2 times they gave us "team rebounds": ( @ 11:33 & 9:20 of 1st half)
1st time- we took a shot, missed, ball deflected out of bounds off ND = team rebound for us
2nd time- we took a shot, missed, ND fouled us on rebound scuffle- they gave us a team rebound because we got ball back.
Similar must have happened 8 other times
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:32:36 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71