Notre Dame Game

• 335 replies

Moose

Re: Notre Dame Game
« Reply #260 on: January 16, 2013, 12:01:21 AM »
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
After Louisville and Syracuse, St. John's may very well have the most talented roster in the Big East. So many different weapons.

I think Rothstein gets paid by STJ Twitter guy to tweet things like this...

On the contrary Rothstein is a big homer for Hall and Rutgers due to Howard Garfinkel.  He's notoriously harsh on STJ

Nah Jon likes STJ a lot.

My point of view is coming right from the mouths of ppl at STJ.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #261 on: January 16, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »
For Moose, it is now official re: the young factor;

“@PaulBiancardi: St. John's the fourth youngest team in the nation, beat a veteran ranked ND team. Here is the box score
http://t.co/fQ22sQal

« Reply #262 on: January 16, 2013, 12:04:16 AM »
Some Random Thoughts

Positives
-Phil Greene was cooking inside the arc. 5-9 shooting and was aggressive looking to score.
-JaKarr played tough on both ends of the floor and he was rewarded getting to the line 9 times cashing in 7 times. Getting looseball in back court was a great play.
-Sir Dom also looked for his shot more than usual and was money midrange.
-D'Angelo Harrison made a difference without scoring the basketball. He made some great passes, blocked 3 shots, and didn't take many ill advised shots. Behind head pass was pro worthy.
-Jamal Branch played 31 minutes and Phil Greene had a good scoring game.
-The team only committed 9 turnovers
-9 blocked shots
-Harrison scored his only 3 off a baseline out of bounds play. He loves that curl screen.
-Christian Jones saw the floor and looked a little rusty but overall contributed
-12-15 from FT line
-Amir Garrett is at his best when slicing to the lane. More 5-7 shooting days is what stj needs from him.
-Jamal Branch hit both of his only 2 free throws in the clutch.

Negatives
-Were out rebounded 30-26
-After Pointer picked up his 3rd foul. It was questionable having him in the game and he was defending primary ball handler with full court pressure. Picked up 4th foul soon after. 5th foul was unnecessary attempt to draw charge.
-Team shot 3-17 from beyond the arc
-The fact that the team shot 17 shots from 3 was disheartening. Settled for a lot of shots against the zone of a team with visibly inferior athletes.
-D'Angelo Harrison only had 8 shots. Needs to get the ball in his hands more.
-No sets ran for Marco Bourgalt. Need to learn how to utilize him better in the half court.
-Obekpa wasn't his best tonight. Never really got into a rhythm and was having trouble switching in pick and rolls. More of a tip your cap to Mike Brey for attacking the way St. John's switches defensively.
-Deflate the ball offense (False Motion) was in full effect late in 2nd half. Nearly cost the team the game. Team doesn't have many set plays to free a guy up.
-A lot of bad fouls led to personal foul trouble and team foul trouble in the 2nd half. Notre Dame was in bonus+ for a long time and luckily didn't capitalize.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #263 on: January 16, 2013, 12:06:26 AM »
After Louisville and Syracuse, St. John's may very well have the most talented roster in the Big East. So many different weapons.

On the contrary Rothstein is a big homer for Hall and Rutgers due to Howard Garfinkel.  He's notoriously harsh on STJ

Nah Jon likes STJ a lot.

Mine is coming from Jon and seeing him at all 3 places. I think he's pretty unbiased. He's become more national over the years too. Not so regional anymore.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #264 on: January 16, 2013, 12:09:05 AM »
How was the crowd, they seem decent tonight.

A lot of Johnny fans abandoned ship after the Hoya game, but the few that showed up were loud and enjoyed the win.  They were also supported by a small number of Alabama fans who also enjoyed watching ND lose again.

Crowd was fine. Not great, but fine. Up 1 with the ball and a minute to go I stood up and heard "down in front".

crgreen

« Reply #265 on: January 16, 2013, 12:17:06 AM »
Great win tonight!! I have nothing against him, but what's everyone's infatuation with Marco? Who is he supposed to take minutes from Amir and Dom? They both played great tonight and bring a lot more to the table at this point

He has a skill no one else on this year's team has.    Just the threat of him from the perimeter opens things up inside.  My Bruins made it to two final fours with Mike Roll filling that role.  Once upon a time, a guy named Lynn Shackleford became on of only 4 players to start on 3 NCAA title teams.    And he started as a Senior over a guy named Sidney Wicks.   Wicks would be College POY the next 2 years.   Wicks was the better player - but Shack was the better weapon for that team.

Anyway, you want to head out on the course with EVERY club in your bag.  You may not even think you need one of them, but you better darn well know how to use them all.   The only way we know how to use Marco when he's truly needed, is for him to get PT now, even tho Felix or Sir Dom or Amir might be as or more effective in todays situation.  That's not always going to be the case - we will NEED Marco in some game or games.   And we need him to be ready.

paultzman

« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2013, 12:23:19 AM »
Despite upset, St. John's a work in progress
January, 16, 2013
JAN 16
12:08
AM ET
By Kieran Darcy | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0TWEET2COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
What a difference three days make.

St. John’s rebounded from its worst performance of the season against Georgetown on Saturday, upsetting No. 20 Notre Dame at Madison Square Garden, 67-63.

Coach Steve Lavin rolled the dice, ditching his matchup zone and making several personnel changes, and he was rewarded.

“We’re a work in progress,” Lavin said. “As I said the other day, expect the unexpected. Buckle up, and enjoy the roller coaster ride with this wonderfully young team who will at times play maddening basketball, but also balance it out with some brilliant play.”

Anthony Gruppuso/USA TODAY Sports
Steve Lavin's youthful Johnnies have pulled off upsets against two ranked teams this season.
First, Lavin went with a smaller lineup -- inserting guard Jamal Branch and forward Sir'Dominic Pointer into the starting five, replacing Amir Garrett and Chris Obekpa. The demotion of Obekpa was puzzling, considering he is the leading shot-blocker in the country and the team’s lone true low-post player, and Notre Dame’s star is 6-foot-9 bruiser Jack Cooley.

Then, St. John’s came out and played man-to-man defense, as opposed to the matchup zone that the Red Storm have employed for most of the season. When Notre Dame jumped out to an early six-point lead, built mostly on layups and dunks inside, it looked like Lavin’s moves would backfire.

But by halftime, St. John’s had a slim lead, 32-31. The Red Storm surged ahead by as many as 12 in the second half, 55-43 with 10:50 remaining. And perhaps most impressive of all, the young Johnnies, after coughing up that lead and trailing by two with less than three minutes left, still found a way to win.

The biggest two plays of the game actually came on the defensive end. With St. John’s back in front 64-63 and 25 seconds left, 6-foot-3 D’Angelo Harrison came from behind to block a layup attempt by 6-foot-10 Tom Knight. And with eight seconds left and St. John’s up 65-63, Obekpa swatted away a Pat Connaughton layup to preserve the victory.

Notre Dame did not score in the final two minutes and 48 seconds of the game. “They really guarded the heck out of us with their speed,” said Notre Dame coach Mike Brey, “and over the course of time it wore on us.”

The Fighting Irish were one of the top 3-point shooting teams in the country, making 7.4 treys per game, and shooting 41.8 percent from beyond the arc -- ninth-best in Division I.

St. John’s limited Notre Dame to just nine attempts from beyond the arc, and one make. It was arguably the Red Storm’s finest defensive performance of the season, despite Obekpa playing only 10 minutes (and foul trouble wasn’t a factor).

“This league forces you to play chess. And so much of it is matchups,” said Lavin. “We just had to stay attached (to Notre Dame’s shooters), and what we gave up were the layups, what we gave up was the interior.”

Freshman forward Jakarr Sampson had a team-high 17 points for the Red Storm, with Phil Greene adding 13 and Garrett chipping in 11. Harrison -- averaging 20.6 points per game, 14th in the country -- scored just eight points, shooting 2-for-8 from the field. But he hit two 3s in the second half, and had five rebounds, three assists and three blocks -- including the potential game-saver in the final minute.

“I thought it was D’Angelo’s most mature game of his career,” Lavin said. “Gven what was at stake, the way he was defended, and him keeping his patience.”

St. John’s looked beyond lethargic in a 67-51 loss to Georgetown three days ago, a blowout practically from the opening tip. After that game, Garrett pledged that the Red Storm would look like a different team against Notre Dame. “We’re gonna come out hungry,” Garrett said, “hungrier than we’ve ever been.”

He was right. The Red Storm even outrebounded the significantly bigger Fighting Irish 36-32, including a 15-8 advantage on the offensive glass.

“We came out very intense today,” Garrett said. “Coming off a loss to Georgetown, that definitely wasn’t the way that we play. We had a good two days of practice. So we knew we just had to come out hard today, and we came out and got the win.”

“It feels good,” said Greene. “We gotta play every game like that. We gotta come out aggressive. Coach wanted us to be aggressive and just play hard on defense and pressure ‘em. Offense will come for us through our defense.”

St. John’s (10-7, 2-3 Big East) is still under .500 in the conference, but is entering a softer part of its schedule. Its next four games are against DePaul, Rutgers, Seton Hall and DePaul again. And the Red Storm already have a pair of Top 25 wins (53-52 against then-No. 14 Cincinnati being the other) on their résumé -- twice as many as they had last season.

This was a big one, but Lavin wasn’t getting carried away afterwards.

“I’m no more high on this team and I’m no more down on this team,” Lavin said. “It is who we are, and we’re gonna keep working at it, trying to get better. I like the pieces, I love the personnel, but we’re just young, so it’s gonna be maddening at times for our staff and our fans.”

Maddening, yet endearing, too.

MCNPA

« Reply #267 on: January 16, 2013, 12:23:59 AM »
Some Random Thoughts

Positives
-Phil Greene was cooking inside the arc. 5-9 shooting and was aggressive looking to score.
-JaKarr played tough on both ends of the floor and he was rewarded getting to the line 9 times cashing in 7 times. Getting looseball in back court was a great play.
-Sir Dom also looked for his shot more than usual and was money midrange.
-D'Angelo Harrison made a difference without scoring the basketball. He made some great passes, blocked 3 shots, and didn't take many ill advised shots. Behind head pass was pro worthy.
-Jamal Branch played 31 minutes and Phil Greene had a good scoring game.
-The team only committed 9 turnovers
-9 blocked shots
-Harrison scored his only 3 off a baseline out of bounds play. He loves that curl screen.
-Christian Jones saw the floor and looked a little rusty but overall contributed
-12-15 from FT line
-Amir Garrett is at his best when slicing to the lane. More 5-7 shooting days is what stj needs from him.
-Jamal Branch hit both of his only 2 free throws in the clutch.

Negatives
-Were out rebounded 30-26
-After Pointer picked up his 3rd foul. It was questionable having him in the game and he was defending primary ball handler with full court pressure. Picked up 4th foul soon after. 5th foul was unnecessary attempt to draw charge.
-Team shot 3-17 from beyond the arc
-The fact that the team shot 17 shots from 3 was disheartening. Settled for a lot of shots against the zone of a team with visibly inferior athletes.
-D'Angelo Harrison only had 8 shots. Needs to get the ball in his hands more.
-No sets ran for Marco Bourgalt. Need to learn how to utilize him better in the half court.
-Obekpa wasn't his best tonight. Never really got into a rhythm and was having trouble switching in pick and rolls. More of a tip your cap to Mike Brey for attacking the way St. John's switches defensively.
-Deflate the ball offense (False Motion) was in full effect late in 2nd half. Nearly cost the team the game. Team doesn't have many set plays to free a guy up.
-A lot of bad fouls led to personal foul trouble and team foul trouble in the 2nd half. Notre Dame was in bonus+ for a long time and luckily didn't capitalize.

We outrebounded them 36-32.

Moose

« Reply #268 on: January 16, 2013, 12:25:14 AM »

Nah Jon likes STJ a lot.

Mine is coming from Jon and seeing him at all 3 places. I think he's pretty unbiased. He's become more national over the years too. Not so regional anymore.

I unfortunately have a good friend who is friends with him and have had the displeasure of hanging out with him a few nights. Was always throwing in jabs at them
Remember who broke the Slice news

TONYD3

« Reply #269 on: January 16, 2013, 12:29:56 AM »
I had fun at the game

« Reply #270 on: January 16, 2013, 12:40:03 AM »
Felix is an interesting case study. He played seven minutes and recorded NO stats. Not a foul, not a steal, not a block, not a shot attempt. For him playing so well early I'm surprised he hasn't been more useful.

MCNPA

« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2013, 12:42:49 AM »
Felix is an interesting case study. He played seven minutes and recorded NO stats. Not a foul, not a steal, not a block, not a shot attempt. For him playing so well early I'm surprised he hasn't been more useful.

Youth.  He'll get there.  Didn't get a ton of time today, but needs to be assertive like early in the season when he's out there,  he can be a real beast and a stopper on defense.  He can also shoot.  Once he gets confidence he'll be excellent.  He played a little hesitant lately but I think he has a real high ceiling.  He's the one guy on the team that has the athletic ability to not let anyone past him. 

« Reply #272 on: January 16, 2013, 12:45:55 AM »

Youth.  He'll get there.  Didn't get a ton of time today, but needs to be assertive like early in the season when he's out there,  he can be a real beast and a stopper on defense.  He can also shoot.  Once he gets confidence he'll be excellent.  He played a little hesitant lately but I think he has a real high ceiling.  He's the one guy on the team that has the athletic ability to not let anyone past him.

I agree, I really like Felix, rooting for him.

« Reply #273 on: January 16, 2013, 01:00:42 AM »
Man this team is some type of roller coaster lol.  Nice win tonight though.  Really good to see Phil start to get some mojo back as a swing man and for Christian Jones to get out there and start to "buy in" to doing the dirty work.  I saw him a lot more physical out there today than in past games and willing to do the dirty work.  If he keeps doing that, I think he can work his way back into a few minutes a game this year and play a more prominent role in years to come. 

Also nice job by Dave on the "Positives/Negatives" post.  Only other thing I would add under the "Negatives" is that we need to get a lot better at defending ball screens when playing man-to-man.  I thought their comeback was spurred when they ran a ton of action off of pick and rolls and high ball screens. 

Nice win and hopefully the team can keep focused, get a win at DePaul and gain a little bit of consistency here.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #274 on: January 16, 2013, 01:46:11 AM »
This team is bi-polar

« Reply #275 on: January 16, 2013, 02:58:33 AM »
This team is bi-polar

No the posters are. 

We were no better or worse than in the Nova, Cincy and Rutgers game.  Just a little bit luckier and a little bit better from the foul line than in some of them.  We're 2 and 3 and have been in 4 out of the 5 with those 4 just as easily going to one team as the other.

If we 1) shoot our normal ft%; 2) Brey doesn't inexplicably bench his best player; 3) D'lo gets called for the foul on the late shot block ( yes, it was a foul ); or 4) any ONE other bounce or call doesn't go our way and it would just be status quo around here with:

- People questioning if Hollywood has a high enough Iq for the job and what x and o guy he needs

- Which assistant coach should get fired?

- What's happened to D'lo? and perhaps he should come off the bench

- Bashing Greene

- 10 posts from Linda

- Why recruit 10 wingmen? none of whom can shoot

- Why can't we land a quality point and a true big who actually qualifies?

- Complaining about the lousy attendance and apathetic student body

- And wondering what good movies are on TV Saturday at 12:00

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:06:10 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #276 on: January 16, 2013, 03:00:54 AM »
Guiness - 65
Chianti  - 69

Horseshoes and handgrenades.

Foad

« Reply #277 on: January 16, 2013, 07:40:04 AM »
He has a skill no one else on this year's team has.    Just the threat of him from the perimeter opens things up inside.  My Bruins made it to two final fours with Mike Roll filling that role. 

Oh please. Sophie Marceau is awful. He hasn't made a field goal in 2013. He's played more than 10 minutes twice in his career. No one knows who he is, no one is threatened by anything he does on the court, and he opens up nothing. The only danger he poses is to SJ, in that he might collaborate with any German players on the other team. 

« Reply #278 on: January 16, 2013, 07:46:05 AM »
Kind of in the same vain as carmineabbatiello is saying...I would NOT be surprised if we lost to DePaul on Saturday.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:46:25 AM by steveyl15 »

paultzman

« Reply #279 on: January 16, 2013, 07:54:51 AM »
He has a skill no one else on this year's team has.    Just the threat of him from the perimeter opens things up inside.  My Bruins made it to two final fours with Mike Roll filling that role. 

Oh please. Sophie Marceau is awful. He hasn't made a field goal in 2013. He's played more than 10 minutes twice in his career. No one knows who he is, no one is threatened by anything he does on the court, and he opens up nothing. The only danger he poses is to SJ, in that he might collaborate with any German players on the other team. 

Agree, the game at this level is too fast for Marco IMO. Remember he was recruited at a low level initially, Montana St. Lou.Tech last year.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:57:13 AM by paultzman »