Sir Dom Kudos

• 19 replies

paultzman

Sir Dom Kudos
« on: January 21, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »
“@QSTJHoops: From earlier - Sir'Dom Pointer's recent offensive emergence is giving St. John's a boost. #stjbb http://t.co/pZUmH9wj

Poison

Re: Sir Dom Kudos
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:26:50 AM »
There has certainly been marked improvement in his game. On both sides of the ball. By senior year, he could be special.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:36:21 AM »
With the addition of Branch we now have 3 legitimate threats on the court. All Pointer needs to do is make it so hes not a liability on offense. These last few games (since branch began, dont think its a coincidence) he has been great and I hope it continues.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 01:44:40 PM »
There has certainly been marked improvement in his game. On both sides of the ball. By senior year, he could be special.

His last 6 games (conf games) have been outstanding !

Shooting 75% (18/24) (although a handful were fast break layups)
2nd to Obekpa in Reb/min
Leading the team in steals / minute
Leading team by far in f/t per shot attempt
Molloy '71

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
This improvement is expected, but nice to see. By senior year, I expect him to be able to knock down the corner 3 if left open, which will be huge for us. I also expect him to be able to finish better on his drives to the hoop.

I think we'll start seeing the same types of improvements with Garrett as well.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 03:10:26 PM »
By senior year, I expect him to be able to knock down the corner 3 if left open,

Dont know if Id go that far.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »
By senior year, I expect him to be able to knock down the corner 3 if left open,

Not saying he'll be a great shooter, just saying that it wouldn't surprise me if he hit the occasional 3 if left open.

sju89tr

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 03:30:57 PM »
No player has improved as much as he has from season 1 to 2.
Hopefully this confidence turns HIM into the 4th scoring option behind Dee Sampson and Branch

Greene will get his points but I don't see him playing more than 20 min a game anymore unless it's just a matchup thing. Greene can score 10 points in 20 min if his shot is falling.

derk

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »

Or learn that he doesn't have to attempt to finish a layup when it's 1 on 2 and pull up for a sweet 15 footer instead.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 03:43:39 PM »
I see Dom improving and progressing like Paris Horne.  Paris became a viable outside scoring option by his Sr. year.  I don't think Dom will be a 3-point shooter but he will contribute at minimum just as much as Paris did.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 04:19:08 PM »
Hopefully this confidence turns HIM into the 4th scoring option behind Dee Sampson and Branch

Greene will get his points but I don't see him playing more than 20 min a game anymore unless it's just a matchup thing. Greene can score 10 points in 20 min if his shot is falling.

Agreed and I think you can even see a nice jump in his performances from the beginning of this season up through the last few games. You can tell he is putting the work in to make himself better. He still has some things to clean up, but his shot and ball handling are improving. I like his aggressiveness and I think over time he will learn to harness his aggressiveness better so that we will see the positives of the DePaul game (14 pts, 11 rb, 3 steals) without as many of the negatives (6 turnovers).

sju89tr

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 04:20:36 PM »

Agreed and I think you can even see a nice jump in his performances from the beginning of this season up through the last few games. You can tell he is putting the work in to make himself better. He still has some things to clean up, but his shot and ball handling are improving. I like his aggressiveness and I think over time he will learn to harness his aggressiveness better so that we will see the positives of the DePaul game (14 pts, 11 rb, 3 steals) without as many of the negatives (6 turnovers).

You can see the difference between him and Amir. Amir couldn't work out over the summer and has been up and down. 

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 04:25:01 PM »
To me him and Garrett can be SJU's version of CJ Fair.

As Bilas said you don't really run any plays for Fair he just finds ways to make plays.  That's Dom and to a lesser extent Garrett.

MCNPA

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 04:49:54 PM »
To me him and Garrett can be SJU's version of CJ Fair.

As Bilas said you don't really run any plays for Fair he just finds ways to make plays.  That's Dom and to a lesser extent Garrett.

Agree.  Both different but both glue players.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 04:54:39 PM »
Ceiling is Willie Glass.
And thats a high ceiling fo Dom.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

desco80

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 04:57:48 PM »
I see Dom improving and progressing like Paris Horne.  Paris became a viable outside scoring option by his Sr. year.  I don't think Dom will be a 3-point shooter but he will contribute at minimum just as much as Paris did.

I hear what you're saying about improving overall as Paris did,
but Paris was a much better deep shooter than people give him credit for.   Freshmen year 37%, Soph 33%, Junior 37%, Senior 37%

Dom's been great lately, but he would need to take a huge leap forward in shooting ability to approach Paris.   (for comparison Dom was 21% as a frosh, and is 1-4 this year)

paultzman

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 04:58:02 PM »
Ceiling is Willie Glass.

Agree Choz. Regarding Garrett, I would like to see him become more consistent hitting those baseline jumpers. He seems to get open there a lot. That's where the absence of summer play hurts him IMO.

boo3

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 05:05:36 PM »
 Amir should emulate his game after Cj Fair.  CJ has a few inches on him, but I feel Amit can fill that roll for STJ.  Whomever made that comparison earlier , good job.

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 05:06:12 PM »

I hear what you're saying about improving overall as Paris did,
but Paris was a much better deep shooter than people give him credit for.   Freshmen year 37%, Soph 33%, Junior 37%, Senior 37%

Dom's been great lately, but he would need to take a huge leap forward in shooting ability to approach Paris.   (for comparison Dom was 21% as a frosh, and is 1-4 this year)

Paris is second all time in St. John's history for 3's made I believe.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
Ceiling is Willie Glass.

Agree Choz. Regarding Garrett, I would like to see him become more consistent hitting those baseline jumpers. He seems to get open there a lot. That's where the absence of summer play hurts him IMO.

they need to tie his left hand behind his back during practice...