Is NCAA tourn in reach?

• 69 replies

jr49

Re: Is NCAA tourn in reach?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 09:28:41 PM »
Gotta win the next 2.  In addition, if we are in a favorable spot at the end of the season, this is the type of team with the depth and talent to be able to win the BET if we get a bye somehow.  Let's just beat Seton Hall and see what happens.
Does top 8 or with only 15 teams a top 7 get a bye. Trying to figure if a top half finish and 2 BET wins gets ya to the semi's. Does top 4 still get the double bye?

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 09:33:12 PM »
Gotta win the next 2.  In addition, if we are in a favorable spot at the end of the season, this is the type of team with the depth and talent to be able to win the BET if we get a bye somehow.  Let's just beat Seton Hall and see what happens.
Does top 8 or with only 15 teams a top 7 get a bye. Trying to figure if a top half finish and 2 BET wins gets ya to the semi's. Does top 4 still get the double bye?

It's only 14 because UCONN isn't participating. I believe it's the same setup with the top 8 getting byes and just 3 games being on Tuesday instead of 4.

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 09:40:01 PM »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 10:02:06 PM »
Yeah and after we win the BET we can pull a Uconn and win 6 more and be National Champions. Simple enough. ???

sju89tr

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 10:20:43 PM »
I think to get in we will need minimum 11-7 in Big East regular season and 2 wins in BET to offset some bad losses on our resume to end season at 21-12 with no more bad losses and a win against a team like GTOWN on road or Marquette. 

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 07:23:18 AM »
The play is ugly.
But the future is bright.
And the faithful will be rewarded.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

MCNPA

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 07:34:27 AM »
Yeah and after we win the BET we can pull a Uconn and win 6 more and be National Champions. Simple enough. ???

You think it's impossible to win the big east tournament?  I don't.  This year is wide open.  We have more depth than ever and are getting better all the time.  Uconn did something that seasons that was unprecedented.  I don't think that will happen.  I think we might be able to make the BET finals though if we keep moving st this pace.

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 07:54:01 AM »
We were ranked 66th on Joe Lunardi's S curve going into the week.  Several teams ahead of us on the S Curve have already lost this week.  A win against Seton Hall and we will probably appear on his list of first 4 out or next 4 out next week!

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 08:39:25 AM »
If Branch & Dom continue their solid contribution I think we can win 18 and be an NCAA team.

paultzman

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 08:40:13 AM »
The play is ugly.
But the future is bright.
And the faithful will be rewarded.

Choz, using your phrase, "Much Wisdom" my friend!

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 08:56:40 AM »
 this is the type of team with the depth and talent to be able to win the BET if we get a bye somehow.  -Mrs Lavin

Wow!
Besides the obvious craziness of the statement, she is not really been paying attention to the fact her husband has shortened the rotation.

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 08:59:07 AM »
this is the type of team with the depth and talent to be able to win the BET if we get a bye somehow.  -Mrs Lavin

Wow!
Besides the obvious craziness of the statement, she is not really been paying attention to the fact her husband has shortened the rotation.

She obviously has more faith in Steve than you do.

Tha Kid

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 08:59:14 AM »
We should focus on seton hall and then DePaul.  These are pretty much must wins.   I think 19-20 total wins puts us on the bubble one way or the other.  21 def in, 18 probably not in. 
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 09:03:18 AM »
She obviously has more faith in Steve than you do.

She is also bff with Lennay Kekua

MCNPA

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 09:28:31 AM »
We are a top 6 team in the big east as it stands.  If we win the next 2, we'll probably be in the top 4.  Only 2 teams in the big east that I think are really that good are Cuse and Louisville.  Why is advancing in the BET to the finals so ridiculous?

I resent the "mrs Lavin" comments as well.  I must think we should give the guy a chance. Guy deserves at least a few years and I haven't seen any of the "warning signs" that many of the fair weather fans on this site do every time we lose a game.    I just think this team can be better than many give credit for.  I said before the season we'd be top 6 in the big east.  It is where we stand right right now.  We can be even better. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:33:51 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 09:32:03 AM »
Again, I have us winning 18 heading into BET which is a pretty aggressive prediction. As far as the BET I don't see us being a team that could go on a run becuase we don't shoot threes and are a terrible free throw shooting team. Those are generally the traits on teams that make runs in tournaments. Our margin of error is just to small.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:33:58 AM by we are sju »

sju89tr

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 09:36:40 AM »
Again, I have us winning 18 heading into BET which is a pretty aggressive prediction. As far as the BET I don't see us being a team that could go on a run becuase we don't shoot threes and are a terrible free throw shooting team. Those are generally the traits on teams that make runs in tournaments. Our margin of error is just to small.

Before the season I had us at 20 wins. WE can easily get bounced in first round of BET or make it to final 4. You never know.
We need to hit free throws better (at least at a 70%) clip but I disagree about the 3 point shot. They make you or break you. It is a bit of a trick and pony offense. Teams that just execute their offense like we did in 2010 can make the dance. If you rely solely on 3 point shots you are dead if they don't fall one night.

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »
Surprise teams that go on runs in tourney generally get hot from three and carries them for 3 or 4 days.

MCNPA

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 09:44:30 AM »

Fwiw, Syracuse and Marquette don't shoot threes either.  Statistically they aren't far off from us.  Why are they ranked and winning?  I agree our FT shooting has been poor, but we also have time to improve there.  There aren't huge gaps n 3pt shooting percentage in much of the big east.  On the other side of the coin, our defense has developed and become quite good.  Our shotblocking is unparalleled.   Defense wins ball games.