Louisville Game Discussion

• 235 replies
Re: Louisville Game Discussion
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2013, 11:09:02 PM »
Love the fight/effort, didn't love the execution especially with the turnovers. On to USF

Bottom line is we lost the <10% chance we had of winning either of these games once Cap passed and Branch got hurt.

5 games left in the regular season. All of them are winnable. It starts Wednesday with USF and our leader back on the sidelines.

« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2013, 11:09:22 PM »
Love the fight/effort, didn't love the execution especially with the turnovers. On to USF

The season begins now.  These remaining games are it.  Win 3 you chance it.  Win 4 you dance it.

Yup time to see how bad we want it

MCNPA

« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2013, 11:10:29 PM »
Thus far they have outdrawn us at the line 30 shots to 7 attempts for SJU.  Not blaming refs, but they have really looked the other way when it comes to Louisville. 

« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »

The season begins now.  These remaining games are it.  Win 3 you chance it.  Win 4 you dance it.

Yup time to see how bad we want it

Would love to see these guys again in the BET Finals on our home court.  Would love our chances in that game!!

Moose

« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2013, 11:11:22 PM »
Thus far they have outdrawn us at the line 30 shots to 7 attempts for SJU.  Not blaming refs, but they have really looked the other way when it comes to Louisville. 

Sorry but no.  We weren't even looking to get tough shots that cause fouls.  Outside of a Dee 3 real late when he hit the ground nothing.  We are scared of contact.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2013, 11:11:50 PM »
Sure he doesn't see him?

You are right. He sees him, just chooses not to pass. This is the first game I have seen with this group where it looks like there is some tension between the players. Not helping guys off the floor, huddling during a dead ball. Hard to tell for sure watching on TV, but just an observation...

I've never got that vibe, think you may be reading too much into it. Remember these guys haven't had years of playing together like most teams.

Yeah, I hope you are right. But you saw it on a few bad passes or "non" passes, guys threw there hands up and looked to the sky.
I think that was just frustration but i'm not a professional on reading body language  :)

I'm frustrated if I shoot 3's like Marco and I'm open, but a guy that shoots like Phil doesn't pass me ball and takes a contested 3 instead, ONE TIME. I'm still frustrated if it happens AGAIN. But when it happens game after game, possession after possession, it's not just frustration. Just my opinion though. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. Most likely just a product of awful court vision by Phil

ras

« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2013, 11:17:01 PM »
Nice effort. Everybody said Marco is 1 dimensional, but he does other things besides shoot, rebounds,steels. He should be shooting more. If he makes shots it will open it up for DLO. No inside game. Hopefully we can get Branch back and take it to another level .Hopefully having coach back will motivate them. They have their work cut out foe the NCAA, but its doable

MCNPA

« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2013, 11:18:09 PM »
Louisville would run down court, close their eyes, throw the ball in the air and get called.  I thought their defense was draped over our guards on the full court press and we got not one call. 

30-7 is a large disparity any way you cut it.  For Louisville to "coax" 23 more free throws is impressive.

« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2013, 11:20:20 PM »
Sure he doesn't see him?

You are right. He sees him, just chooses not to pass. This is the first game I have seen with this group where it looks like there is some tension between the players. Not helping guys off the floor, huddling during a dead ball. Hard to tell for sure watching on TV, but just an observation...

I've never got that vibe, think you may be reading too much into it. Remember these guys haven't had years of playing together like most teams.

Yeah, I hope you are right. But you saw it on a few bad passes or "non" passes, guys threw there hands up and looked to the sky.
I think that was just frustration but i'm not a professional on reading body language  :)

I'm frustrated if I shoot 3's like Marco and I'm open, but a guy that shoots like Phil doesn't pass me ball and takes a contested 3 instead, ONE TIME. I'm still frustrated if it happens AGAIN. But when it happens game after game, possession after possession, it's not just frustration. Just my opinion though. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. Most likely just a product of awful court vision by Phil

I agree for the most part, I think it is awful court vision, and throw in that Marco hasn't been hitting 3's too well. It is getting pretty ridiculous though. Phil has the ball in his hands way too much.

MCNPA

« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2013, 11:20:26 PM »
Like I said moose, not blaming that on the loss.  I do think it took a toll in the second half and we get called every time down after Russ smith made those 2 big shots. 

« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2013, 11:21:18 PM »
Karr and Pointer looked absolutely gross tonight with their 4 turnovers each. Games like tonight are the reason why Sampson should not and probably is not leaving this year.

« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2013, 11:22:02 PM »
any word if branch will be back for South Florida? 

desco80

« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2013, 11:22:48 PM »
Louisville would run down court, close their eyes, throw the ball in the air and get called.  I thought their defense was draped over our guards on the full court press and we got not one call. 

30-7 is a large disparity any way you cut it.  For Louisville to "coax" 23 more free throws is impressive.

They took it to the hole nearly every possession.  We tried - but they were better slashing to the hoop than we were tonight. 
There were a couple of calls, or no calls, that I didn't like either.   But Louisville deserved a lot of their foul shots.   Actually I thought there were some instances were we shouldve fouled guys who were making layups.   Like Dieng on a couple of those put backs.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:23:12 PM by desco80 »

desco80

« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2013, 11:27:12 PM »
The way I see it we're still having a nice season.  And that's saying a lot because I'm definitely not a kool aid drinker. 
But we won some good conference games, and for the most part beat the teams we should've.

We were a bubble team with a month to go in the season.
And then our point guard got hurt and our coach needed some time away.   And Syracuse and Louisville weren't games we were "supposed" to win anyway.
We still have a couple more wins in us, and it'll wrap up a mediocre season.   Not overachieving, not underachieving.   We're about par for the course.

« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2013, 11:28:30 PM »
IMO, one positive from the game was the play of Obekpa. He had 12 rebounds and a few of them were "man rebounds" in traffic where he squeezed/protected the ball and made a proper outlet pass. He only got credited for 2 blocks but he was a presence down there and contested a bunch of shots. Probably most importantly, he didn't attempt a single shot  ;D

Poison

« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2013, 11:29:17 PM »
Karr and Pointer looked absolutely gross tonight with their 4 turnovers each. Games like tonight are the reason why Sampson should not and probably is not leaving this year.

Jakarr has a lot of potential. Tonight he showed that he needs a lot of work. Hopefully by his senior year, he'll be refined enough to not only make the NBA but last more than a few games.

« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2013, 11:43:33 PM »
No Lavin

Lavin will miss his second straight game following the death of his father, Albert "Cap" Lavin, this past weekend.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8943405/steve-lavin-st-john-red-storm-family-miss-louisville-cardinals-game
Most companies I've seen allow 3-4 days and that's not considering what's at stake with this one. Two important games in a row is a bit much to me. There have been kids playing the day they lost siblings.  Sorry for his loss but not our probable loss.

Why would you say something like that? What do you know about his situation?

« Reply #177 on: February 14, 2013, 11:45:07 PM »

Jakarr has a lot of potential. Tonight he showed that he needs a lot of work. Hopefully by his senior year, he'll be refined enough to not only make the NBA but last more than a few games.

Lol, he won't still be here senior year, unless he has two season ending injuries in a row. I would have liked to see him drive a bit more today. I think he was settling for jumpers that were falling earlier on in the year and are a little off now.

« Reply #178 on: February 14, 2013, 11:49:39 PM »
Sure he doesn't see him?

Doesn't take a lot of experience, playing together, to pass to a wide open man...he looks for his shot way too much...I really believe that he fashions himself to be the 2nd best scoring option on the team...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:55:52 PM by section3 »

gman

« Reply #179 on: February 14, 2013, 11:50:56 PM »
My GF finally feel asleep so I got to see a few minutes. We stopped them on D well, but our offense (if you can call it that) is just awful.  Either Blackshear is made of paper or I missed something on that injury. 

It comes down to no sensible person thought we would win either of the last 2 games.  We aren't talented enough to beat elite teams.  We can beat bad teams (recently).  And can give middle of the road teams a tough game at home.  That sounds like an NIT team to me.  The kids get to decide if they are NIT or NCAA over this final stretch