New Unis

• 68 replies
Re: New Unis
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 02:17:59 PM »
KOK, a thread and conversation about an impending move to Under Armour in 2014 is active somewhere around here.  Dave tweeted something earlier this week.

SJUFAN

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »
Btw, are those grey uniforms still in the works?   
Moose, you know anything about that?

I liked those grey uniforms. Color pattern is very unique, I don't believe there is another team with that color pattern out there. 

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 02:31:21 PM »
I loved our grey jerseys. The color scheme is very different, and unique. I would definitely pick up a jersey in Marillac if they sold them to fans. If they were smart they would make sweatshirts in that color scheme as well.

I'm pretty fed up with Nike though. As many of you know I am big into the uni watch thing for SJ. As you read this, please don't question my sexuality  :D. Honestly though, I feel like we are right at the bottom of Nike's totem pole. We need a brand that will give us some fresh designs to spice things up, sell more apparrel, and get the team excited to represent SJ. If UA really wants us, I'd give them a few years on a contract to see what they can do. I liked the Temple and Maryland jerseys, so I'm sure they can make us nice ones. It's really a shame Air Jordan can't pick us back up. How they don't want the NYC college basketball base is beyond me. NYC and basketball go together like bread and butter. Nike has the same boring designs, no flair, no uniqueness, no eye-popping styles, and they have the ugliest shorts known to man. A black and white racing stripe? Is that the best you can do? Look at Michigan's creative design on the shorts...look at Cincy's claw marks...come on we deserve more. I'm sick of teams like Nova, G'Town, UConn getting all these cool jerseys and prototypes, yet we get the same crap like we don't matter. Time to move on.

desco80

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »
Personally, I'm all for switching things up.
But our fans are still bemoaning the loss of the Indian, 20 years later.  Can you imagine the reactions if SJU had uniforms designed by Under Armour?  Mass hysteria would be my prediction. 

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »
I loved our grey jerseys. The color scheme is very different, and unique.

Look too much like Ohio State road unit
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

boo3

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 05:09:03 PM »
 Only ones I don't really care for are the black uniforms.

The worst were the ones they had during the Lopez years.  The lightning bolt on the shorts..ugh

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 05:16:07 PM »
KOK, a thread and conversation about an impending move to Under Armour in 2014 is active somewhere around here.  Dave tweeted something earlier this week.

Tried to look for the tweet and couldn't find anything.

Moose

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 05:17:58 PM »

Tried to look for the tweet and couldn't find anything.

Read the weekends thread.  There was no tweet.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:18:20 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 05:19:46 PM »
I've been very reluctant to leave Nike but I think the time is right. Under Armour is making a strong push on the grassroots scene. Personally I have no idea how their sneakers feel or measure up to Nike or Adidas but their apparel is top notch.

Also we would be one of their flagship programs, right behind Maryland. I think that creates many more opportunities for quality merchandise for fans. Nike has treated us like second class citizens for a while now.

desco80

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »
From the tweets it sounds like the school is looking at new branding University wide.  Not just in basketball.  Not sure what that would mean though.  New logo?  New colors? 

Also, in his post the other day, Dave mentioned 2014.   So maybe there's a year left on the k with Nike.  Unless I read that post completely wrong. 

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 06:23:45 PM »
I thought the gray unis were incredible.

Moose

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 06:49:37 PM »
From the tweets it sounds like the school is looking at new branding University wide.  Not just in basketball.  Not sure what that would mean though.  New logo?  New colors? 

Also, in his post the other day, Dave mentioned 2014.   So maybe there's a year left on the k with Nike.  Unless I read that post completely wrong. 

Next year is 13-14 ;)

desco80

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2013, 07:16:26 PM »

Next year is 13-14 ;)

Oh, well in that case..... Change it Up!    If we're truly going to have a breakout year, then that's the time to roll out a new logo / brand. 

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2013, 07:44:21 PM »
I wasnt really a fan of the gray's. Wish it was more of a charcoal gray opposed to the light gray. Really I want to have some blue in our unis.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2013, 07:46:31 PM »
I wasnt really a fan of the gray's. Wish it was more of a charcoal gray opposed to the light gray. Really I want to have some blue in our unis.

Blue????

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 08:15:56 PM »

Blue????

yea, like the Hatten days.

Moose

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 08:18:09 PM »

Blue????

While I liked those uniforms the blue made zero sense.  And before the old guard rants about black and gray those colors go with any scheme but blue really made no sense as it was never a part of STJ.

Just my opinion.  Loved the darker red we wore back then though.

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2013, 08:33:46 PM »

Blue????

While I liked those uniforms the blue made zero sense.  And before the old guard rants about black and gray those colors go with any scheme but blue really made no sense as it was never a part of STJ.

Just my opinion.  Loved the darker red we wore back then though.

I say if it looks good, than it does make sense :). As long if its not the primary color and it goes with our colors (what color goes better with red and white?) than im fine with it. That pretty much narrows it down to black, gray, and blue. And out of those 3 I prefer blue. Just my opinion.

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2013, 10:29:31 PM »
The St. John's full logo now is too big...it's rectangular. The "J" combined with the "T" confuses some people. Our logo other than the SJ never took off. We need a few alternates. Something more slick and sharp. Maybe a basketball only logo like Creighton has with a basketball in the background? I still think NYC has to be incorporated somehow. Experiment with different colors.

Why can't we have UA, Nike, and other brands advertise their best prototype and let the fans vote? Ask the fans at Oregon, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Nova, Maryland, etc. it's a coup to have new styles out there. Fans mostly dig it. Still don't understand why we have no throwback night with the 85 jerseys. So much can be done and we don't seem to put much effort in our image. I'd use the extra money from our new deal to focus on rebranding.

MCNPA

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 10:38:46 PM »
The St. John's full logo now is too big...it's rectangular. The "J" combined with the "T" confuses some people. Our logo other than the SJ never took off. We need a few alternates. Something more slick and sharp. Maybe a basketball only logo like Creighton has with a basketball in the background? I still think NYC has to be incorporated somehow. Experiment with different colors.

Why can't we have UA, Nike, and other brands advertise their best prototype and let the fans vote? Ask the fans at Oregon, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Nova, Maryland, etc. it's a coup to have new styles out there. Fans mostly dig it. Still don't understand why we have no throwback night with the 85 jerseys. So much can be done and we don't seem to put much effort in our image. I'd use the extra money from our new deal to focus on rebranding.

I think the logo, colors and elimination of blue is great.  One think about the logo is that I think the "T" in the STJ should have been written like a cross that widens at the top of the t.  A play on the Catholic school thing and more eye catching.  I love that we are mixing it up with white, black and gray.  Our primary color is red.  Aside from that, mixing in neutrals like white, black, gray makes sense more than blue.