Rotation with Branch + Marco in lineup?

• 67 replies
Rotation with Branch + Marco in lineup?
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:24:53 PM »
what are you thoughts on both of these guys being injected into the lineup more often and together at the same time. Who plays? who sits?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

Re: Rotation with Branch + Marco in lineup?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 11:27:32 PM »
what are you thoughts on both of these guys being injected into the lineup more often and together at the same time. Who plays? who sits?

Less minutes for Carmine's favorite.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 11:29:26 PM »
Greene time will be cut to at least 37 minutes a game. Jeez!

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:29:54 PM »
Phil should sit.  I commend the guy for playing through pain and not turning the ball over but he kills our breaks, can't beat anyone off the dribble and couldn't hit water from a boat in the ocean.  For the 3 guard spots in our lineup I would say Branch and Harrison should each get 35, Greene should get 8-10, primarily when Branch is resting, Marco 20-25 and Sir'Dom getting the rest when he is not playing the 4 or 5.  Balamou gives us very little right now and down the stretch he cannot be relied upon to give us premium minutes.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:30:52 PM »
Greene doesn't deserve to be demoted, but when your wide open and standing on three point line you gotta shoot, and if Marco is there, I'd like him to be that guy.

Greene has to drive to make a difference. His off balance threes don't help the team.

Overall, we manhandled USF tonight, but they were Norm Roberts awful. We could have won by 30 if we had a point guard.

MCNPA

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:33:37 PM »
Agree it should be at expense of Greene.  Branch is a better PG.  Greene better as backup combo.  Best ace for minutes to come from.  Nobody else I can see should lose significant time.  Marco has moved himself into a real rotation now and his shooting is important threat.  I still think we will get Branch back soon.  He is important cog for us and we play best with him at point.  We might have to determine our destiny over next 2 weeks without him though. 

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:33:49 PM »
Greene doesn't deserve to be demoted, but when your wide open and standing on three point line you gotta shoot, and if Marco is there, I'd like him to be that guy.

Greene has to drive to make a difference. His off balance threes don't help the team.

Overall, we manhandled USF tonight, but they were Norm Roberts awful. We could have won by 30 if we had a point guard.

0-7 overall and 0-4 from 3 and 0 rebounds in 38 minutes.  He just can't beat anyone off the dribble to get easy baskets.  He can run the point without turning it over so he has value as Branch's backup because we have noone else who can do that but that should be the extent of his playing time.

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:35:53 PM »

0-7 overall and 0-4 from 3 and 0 rebounds in 38 minutes.  He just can't beat anyone off the dribble to get easy baskets.  He can run the point without turning it over so he has value as Branch's backup because we have noone else who can do that but that should be the extent of his playing time.

+100

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 12:15:28 AM »
Greene's minute should dip, and I think his production for those minutes will pick up.  Bourgault needs to be on the floor 20-25 mins because the game just flows so much better with him in in the offensive end.  He has very good vision.  Branch is too turnover prone to okay more than 25-30 mins.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 12:22:05 AM »
It's not that Greene isn't capable of beating anyone off the dribble. It's not his focus. It's like he's trying not to screw up. Not to run an offense. At the end of the day, this isn't his fault. He's not a PG.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 12:27:32 AM »
Really love the way Marco has found his role on this team. I think the return of Branch will only help him get his shot off.

And yeah, I'd like to see Marco get more minutes than Phil at this point.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:28:49 AM by redstorm212 »

Poison

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 12:33:26 AM »
Really love the way Marco has found his role on this team. I think the return of Branch will only help him get his shot off.

I hear that. Marco was helping in ways that weren't showing up in the box score. Especially in the ESPN box score, because it wasn't accurate. I watched him pull down down three rebounds just in the first half, yet somehow, ESPN says he had 1 total.

God, I hate Disney.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 01:42:51 AM »

I hear that. Marco was helping in ways that weren't showing up in the box score. Especially in the ESPN box score, because it wasn't accurate. I watched him pull down down three rebounds just in the first half, yet somehow, ESPN says he had 1 total.

God, I hate Disney.
And Phil's 0 for 7 sure seemed more like about 0 for 10 but it was nice to see him pound down 3 of 4 from the charity stripe! Yea! :)

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 01:53:59 AM »
Playing Marco Bourgout will be the thing that gets us in the tourny. Thank goodness he is finally getting playing time but I still think he needs more.

Is anyone else as excited as I am to see a lineup of Jamal, Dlo, and Marco on the court for more than 5 minutes at a time? I cant wait.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 07:01:57 AM »
Greene's minute should dip, and I think his production for those minutes will pick up.  Bourgault needs to be on the floor 20-25 mins because the game just flows so much better with him in in the offensive end.  He has very good vision.  Branch is too turnover prone to okay more than 25-30 mins.

Funny thing about Marco is that he's not nearly as slow as I thought he might be either.  He's not a huge liability on defense and has some quickness.  Early in the season he looked slow.  I guess it just took him time to speed his game up from Juco to Big East speed.  I hae been encouraged by his play at both ends.  We finally have another player that a defense must guard which is huge in game planning.  Teams can't pack it in like they have all season long and wait for us to try to take it into their packed zone.  I really hope we get Branch back soon, because we will be in good shape with a nice rotation.

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 08:42:47 AM »
Marco is listed at 6'6 210...he's tied with Garrett for our second heaviest rebounder behind Obepka (I refuse to count Jones since he doesn't rebound).  He's a big kid and pretty good on the boards...definitely above average. 

Unless we are playing a team with a big that's killing us, I think Obekpa should see his minutes drop to 15-20.  I hope Marco continues to be more aggressive, because that 2-3 dribble pass/shot will be there for him all game with his shooting ability.

Moose

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 08:47:24 AM »
Marco is listed at 6'6 210...he's tied with Garrett for our second heaviest rebounder behind Obepka (I refuse to count Jones since he doesn't rebound).  He's a big kid and pretty good on the boards...definitely above average. 

Unless we are playing a team with a big that's killing us, I think Obekpa should see his minutes drop to 15-20.  I hope Marco continues to be more aggressive, because that 2-3 dribble pass/shot will be there for him all game with his shooting ability.

The thing with Obekpa is he plays better in a zone to me but we play D better as a team in man.  Caught between a rock and a hard place.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 08:50:14 AM »

Agree with 20 or so for Obekpa, but he really does do more than just block shots.  He changes the offensive plans for teams when he's in and Obekpa has become a pretty good rebounder.  He can be used effectively without pplaying the entire game for sure, but he really deters teams from dribble penetration as well, which is key to winning games. 

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 08:57:45 AM »

Agree with 20 or so for Obekpa, but he really does do more than just block shots.  He changes the offensive plans for teams when he's in and Obekpa has become a pretty good rebounder.  He can be used effectively without pplaying the entire game for sure, but he really deters teams from dribble penetration as well, which is key to winning games. 

This is purely anectodal, but I never got the sense that Obekpa slowed down or altered a lot of shots for a kid that is such a fantastic shot-blocker.  I remember what Ken Johnson did to us...guys were throwing up shots scared and double and triple pumping, but it seems the plan is to penetrate the lane and take it fearlessly at Obekpa.  The points on the paint have been huge for almost all of our opponents and I am pretty shocked at how relaxed many are in there against Obekpa (and company).

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »
So lets see some combos. There are 200 minutes available per game.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle