Rotation with Branch + Marco in lineup?

• 67 replies

desco80

Re: Rotation with Branch + Marco in lineup?
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »
This might sound crazy, but if Jamal does play against Pitt Sunday, maybe they play him off the ball if he's still not 100%.

Not that I want to see Phil G running the point, but if Branch isn't moving around at full speed; he's still a better shooter than anyone we have minus D'angelo and Marco.   If he takes some of those shots that normally go to Phil, I'm fairly confident he'll connect on a few more than Greene does.

thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:17:21 AM by desco80 »

Foad

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2013, 12:35:51 PM »
This might sound crazy, but if Jamal does play against Pitt Sunday, maybe they play him off the ball if he's still not 100%.

Not that I want to see Phil G running the point, but if Branch isn't moving around at full speed; he's still a better shooter than anyone we have minus D'angelo and Marco.   If he takes some of those shots that normally go to Phil, I'm fairly confident he'll connect on a few more than Greene does.

thoughts?

I think we spend a lot of time talking about who's the point guard on a team that doesn't have one. Increasingly I think TGAPL doesn't even want a traditional PG. I think what he wants an offense with three SGs and 2 forwards. That is, I think this is essentially the scheme:

2 - 2 - 2

Three guys with vague and various skills on top, a scorer on the FT line and a garbage guy on the baseline.

I think maybe this not your Louie's offense and maybe its a mistake to look at it like its supposed to be. OTOH it could all have been forced by fubar personnel decisions. But Greene's not a PG, Pointer's not, Harrison's not, Nuri wasn't, and even alleged PG Branch isn't exactly Frank Alagia. I don't Lavin's Pete Carill but I'm sure he knows what a PG is. That he doesn't have one suggests either that he couldn't recruit one or he doesn't want one.

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2013, 01:13:23 PM »

thoughts?

I think we spend a lot of time talking about who's the point guard on a team that doesn't have one. Increasingly I think TGAPL doesn't even want a traditional PG. I think what he wants an offense with three SGs and 2 forwards. That is, I think this is essentially the scheme:

2 - 2 - 2

Three guys with vague and various skills on top, a scorer on the FT line and a garbage guy on the baseline.

I think maybe this not your Louie's offense and maybe its a mistake to look at it like its supposed to be. OTOH it could all have been forced by fubar personnel decisions. But Greene's not a PG, Pointer's not, Harrison's not, Nuri wasn't, and even alleged PG Branch isn't exactly Frank Alagia. I don't Lavin's Pete Carill but I'm sure he knows what a PG is. That he doesn't have one suggests either that he couldn't recruit one or he doesn't want one.

Agree with the setup you believe that lavin believes in. I think it would work much better with 3 branch's in the back court than with 3 greene's in the back court. Branch can shoot, pass, and drive. Phil not so much.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

ras

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2013, 01:17:17 PM »

Not that I want to see Phil G running the point, but if Branch isn't moving around at full speed; he's still a better shooter than anyone we have minus D'angelo and Marco.   If he takes some of those shots that normally go to Phil, I'm fairly confident he'll connect on a few more than Greene does.  I like Phil. But he shouldnt be playing 37 min a game. Not a PG, and not a real good shooter. I will admit,however, he doesnt turn the ball over much.

thoughts?

2 - 2 - 2

That seems to be Lavins MO. If you look at the players he braught in  ,only 1 C and 1 pg. A lot of wings.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 01:20:07 PM by ras »

Poison

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »

thoughts?

If he's not moving at full speed, he shouldn't play. We have developed a point guard by committee. It's not perfect, but it's what we've got now.

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2013, 01:25:51 PM »
That seems to be Lavins MO. If you look at the players he braught in  ,only 1 C and 1 pg. A lot of wings.

Best player he ever coached was a point guard

derk

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »

thoughts?

If he's not moving at full speed, he shouldn't play. We have developed a point guard by committee. It's not perfect, but it's what we've got now.

In this what have you done for me lately world, Branch's minutes have been usurped by Marco. And I think it will be Greene and Marco until one of them craps out ( like an 0 for 7 for Greene for example ) before Branch gets back in. This starts only when Branch is healthy which doesn't sound like Sat to me.

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »

thoughts?

2 - 2 - 2

Agree with the setup you believe that lavin believes in. I think it would work much better with 3 branch's in the back court than with 3 greene's in the back court. Branch can shoot, pass, and drive. Phil not so much.

Agreed and I also think he thought Nuri could do the same.