Harrison suspended rest of the year

• 537 replies
Re: Harrison suspended rest of the year
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2013, 10:15:17 AM »
Lavin has to shoulder a lot of blame here.  Lavin to some extend put DLo on a pedestal:
1. Naming him captain
2. Gave him the "Emerald Green Light"
3. Called him our "leader"

The kid's head must've blown up.  All this made him think he was bigger than the team. And it was no secret coming into this season that DLo was volatile, so why classify him as all the above? Did Lavin really think that just being a leading scorer makes you a leader?

I love DLo, and hope he comes back, but this is a two-way street here.

Moose

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »
What schools are close to Missouri City Texas?
Dee have any sick pets?
Remember who broke the Slice news

gman

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2013, 10:18:09 AM »
Dee have any sick pets?

Iona?

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2013, 10:19:30 AM »
Dee have any sick pets?

Iona?

Ya Iona needs a backup

sju89tr

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2013, 10:20:19 AM »
I personally think he mans up and comes back. As I said previously, spoke to his wonderful grandmother in Charleston. The family thinks the world of our staff  I don't think they will let him run from the situation

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2013, 10:21:45 AM »
According to many here...he was a first round pick. 

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2013, 10:23:15 AM »
"I disagree. I don't think there is a replacement thats already in his back pocket. I mean we're still in a slight tournament hunt. Who's going to replace him this year?

There comes a time where enough is enough and the whole team has to realize that you're not going to get special treatment and you can't do certain things. DLo has had plenty of chances here, and now he needs to EARN his scholarship back."

Unless I missed something, kid has not gotten into one fight, must be doing ok in school becuase he is eligible and has not gotten arrested. I doubt Lavin is doing this for some noble cause to "help" Harrison. Clearly they do not get along and if Harrison is such a problem maybe he shouldn't have recruited him.

IMO all this talk from some of the old fart bags in these boards about Harrison is silly. Watch some old clips of Bobby Hurley some day and tell me who made more annoying faces. 

Again I have no idea what went on behind the scenes, but I hope it was a lot to justify this!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:24:31 AM by we are sju »

Moose

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2013, 10:24:18 AM »
According to many here...he was a first round pick. 

Not sure about that.  Most just thought he wouldn't last because he can play in Europe and make more than most 4 yr college graduates.  I don't recall many or any people touting him as a 1st rd pick.

Foad

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2013, 10:24:43 AM »
Lavin has to shoulder a lot of blame here.  Lavin to some extend put DLo on a pedestal:
1. Naming him captain

The kid's head must've blown up.  All this made him think he was bigger than the team. And it was no secret coming into this season that DLo was volatile, so why classify him as all the above? Did Lavin really think that just being a leading scorer makes you a leader?

+1. Lavin took our best freshman in a long while and turned him into a useless player. If that's not on the coach who's it on.

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2013, 10:24:57 AM »
Very upset to hear this news. Can only hope this makes him a better and stronger person and player. I bet we havnt seen the last of D'angelo Harrison.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2013, 10:29:05 AM »
I personally think he mans up and comes back. As I said previously, spoke to his wonderful grandmother in Charleston. The family thinks the world of our staff  I don't think they will let him run from the situation

I think he comes back or goes overseas.  Unlikely he transfers.

And anyone who thinks SJU is suspending their no. 1 scorer and putting at risk their post season hopes so as to open a scholarship for next season when there are better and easier ways to do it need to get a clue.

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2013, 10:29:58 AM »
1. Naming him captain

+1. Lavin took our best freshman in a long while and turned him into a useless player. If that's not on the coach who's it on.

Dude Norm Roberts isn't coming back.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:30:58 AM by fordham96 »

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2013, 10:30:37 AM »
Taking away Harrison now makes it simpler to defend us. Team's going to have to step up and execute immensely. D'Angelo was their only player who could consistently create his own shot, and as of late it just hasn't been falling among other factors (poor selection, etc.). Phil to a certain extent can create but he's not a threat to pull up a 3 off the dribble and hit. Marco is a promising perimeter talent, but can the coach's create sets/situations where they can get him time and space to shoot? I'm curious to see next year how Max Hooper fits into this picture in terms of playing time. We have a lot of decent players, and depth. But that depth is deceiving, because really we have relatively the same talent level through the bench, nobody standing out as extraordinary talents. Only one that could be close is Sampson. He may be the best on the team, but I don't think he is extraordinary in the grand scheme of the NCAA. But now I'm getting off topic.

D'Angelo is in one of my classes, seems like a shy and quiet off the court, but what do I know. He's been showing up to this class every time, hasn't missed one yet. And he shows up relatively on time, pays attention.

Moose

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2013, 10:31:31 AM »
Too bad the press release specifically said regular season and any postseason.  Just saying indefinitely could have left door open for at some point this year.

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2013, 10:32:11 AM »
I think he comes back or goes overseas.  Unlikely he transfers.-Fordham

And you are basing this on what exactly. I bet he transfers, but overseas would be my second choice. I say there is as much a chance of him coming back as you posting something interesting.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:32:33 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »
http://zagsblog.com/st-johns/st-johns-suspends-harrison-for-season/
it's pretty scummy zags had to use harrison's brother's murder rap.  for the record, it's not a murder charge...it's a conviction, and it's not jail...it's prison.
what a fuggin idiot.

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2013, 10:34:25 AM »
1. Naming him captain

True but think about the situation Harrison walked into. He arrived here when we had no upperclassmen or anybody even on the team except Stith. He was guaranteed a starting spot, he was given free reign, green light, etc. Everything was just handed to him. In college ball, you need some upperclassmen to keep freshmen in check. When you don't have that existing leadership, this type of situations happpen. Harrison, Moe, Dom and that class had no leadership. They tried to instill it and build Harrison into a leader and team captain but his maturity just hasn't developed. I don't blame Lavin for that. Just the cards we were dealt.

Hopefully now going forward the infratructure is in place to keep kids grounded.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:40:03 AM by SJUhoopNUT »

redslope

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »
1. Naming him captain

NO he took our best freshman and turned him into BE rookie of the year and NBA first round pick

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2013, 10:34:53 AM »
I'm glad Lavin took a stand. Must have been way out of control for this to happen now