Harrison suspended rest of the year

• 537 replies
Re: Harrison suspended rest of the year
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2013, 12:00:28 PM »
None of this has any relevance here. No need to air old dirty laundry. Please stick to the topic.

However, all of those agreeing that Harrison being suspended is a good thing, well DHJ agrees with you. Ponder that a moment or two  :) 

I want Harrison to be on the team. He's one of the few guys who can create his own shot however when it comes to team sports sometimes there is addition by subtraction. Eli Carter is the best scorer on Rutgers, can single handedly win a game, but he's chased teammates away and has Harrison like body language on the court. Rutgers might be better without him.

I'm not saying the two cases are identical or St. John's will be better without Harrison but there comes a point where you have to go one direction or another. Apparently Lavin hit that point with Harrison.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »
That would be messed up, no?

Yea. NCAA sports are all sorts of messed up.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2013, 12:04:13 PM »
the difference being that many of us, having lived through a time when "suspended for the season..." would have at BEST been followed up with "...for stiffing a hooker on a road trip," "...and plans to transfer to Stony Brook, where they're hopeful he can contribute off the bench" or "...will declare for the draft and hopes to be taken in the late second round of by the Wilkes-Barre Thunder" are willing to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt.-Dandy

I understand your point. It was also funny and somewhat true, so you get extra points, but I still disagree. Seems more like a personality clash and I just think you need more when you start messing with someone's future.

desco80

« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2013, 12:04:13 PM »
I stated he was a headcase on RM.com & it was deleted my sources were correct  thanku
then I was told to send flowers by the lawman who is a blind homie so then I posted he was the best leader in st.j;s history as a joke & he banned me from postin.
DeAngelo now suspended which shows how bad that his behavior was towards the coachin staff
Thank u Coach Lavin 4 doin the right thing in treatin no player above others!
As for lawman for bannin me w correct inside info about the team its typical display of unjust moderation on there
where they censor the TRUTH

What a great post,  Thank god Harrison finally got suspended and you got your vindication.   
It's swell to know at least some good came out of this situation.   I'll be able to rest easy this weekend knowing DHJ was able to stick it to those malicious moderators.   

« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »
As for transfer stuff I don't see him leaving unless he gets to play ASAP.

Bingo I don't see him sitting a year.

« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2013, 12:07:45 PM »

interesting.  the suspension could be a strategic move by Lavin. Suspending him now, makes it clear to NCAA that he can't be granted a waiver to immediately play next season.

« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2013, 12:08:33 PM »
Selfish move by Lav , imo. Unless Harrison really had a meltdown and cursed him out or refused to practice, how can you hurt the team as a whole and suspend the leading scorer with 3 must win game coming up. The truth needs to come out, what exactly did DLO do? He shakes his head on the court, he questions refs calls...deal with it Lav.

You obviously have never coached a team, and while we all would like an explanation, we're not owed one.

« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »
Kid gets the green light 24/7.
Gets lauded wit a C on his chest.
Is anointed the man and pushed for national recog.

And all they ask is fo him to at least give a damn in practice, to at least be civil to his brothers on the court and to at least be respctful to the staff when all they wanna do is make him better wit a lil mo individual drills.

Too much to ask apparently.

Don't forget continually late and dragging others like Pointer down with him

desco80

« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2013, 12:09:22 PM »

But it sounds like the staff might not be too keen on having him back.   
Transferring might be his only option unless he's ready to make a go of it in Europe. 

« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2013, 12:10:51 PM »
It is obvious to even the most uneducated basketball fan that Harrison is instrumental to our team's success.  We have no replacement for him.  So he clearly had to do something or get to a point that was beyond horrendous for Lavin to take this extreme measure.  Even if Lavin and Co. thought we had no legit shot at the NCAA, they would would want to end the year well, especially coming off the great news with Orlando.  I'd love to know what exactly transpired, or if this is just the end-result of a two year's worth of nonsense.

kob24

« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2013, 12:11:51 PM »
Lav doesn't play. He isn't kissing any ass. Trust me Harrison is bugging out. There Is whole lot y'all don't know. He deserved it

desco80

« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2013, 12:13:06 PM »
If anything, the right thing for Lavin to do is not to tell us specifics about what went on.   Suspending a guy or asking him to transfer is one thing; you air his dirty laundry and that can absolutely ruin Dangelos chances of finding a soft landing spot. 

« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2013, 12:16:54 PM »
Lav doesn't play. He isn't kissing any ass. Trust me Harrison is bugging out. There Is whole lot y'all don't know. He deserved it-Kob

This post I trust.
It is funny to me though that some of you will defend the highly compensted coach to the death but kill a 20 year old kid. Now I know I make fun of Greene but it is on court stuff like bad shooting and circle dribbling. The Harrison criticism to me is based on something different from some of you.

CC

« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »
Selfish move by Lav , imo. Unless Harrison really had a meltdown and cursed him out or refused to practice, how can you hurt the team as a whole and suspend the leading scorer with 3 must win game coming up. The truth needs to come out, what exactly did DLO do? He shakes his head on the court, he questions refs calls...deal with it Lav.

You obviously have never coached a team, and while we all would like an explanation, we're not owed one.

I have coached teams, not college level-- but unless DLO really went off the deep end you can't penalize the rest of the team .

« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2013, 12:23:19 PM »
This was done because next year could be a special year.  They want him to be either on board or get off.  They don't want his attitude screwing up the chemistry next year.  The little things became too much of a burden.  This is all about next year and building something.  That is thinking with this.

« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2013, 12:24:22 PM »
Good luck at Baylor

CC

« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2013, 12:25:08 PM »

And all they ask is fo him to at least give a damn in practice, to at least be civil to his brothers on the court and to at least be respctful to the staff when all they wanna do is make him better wit a lil mo individual drills.

I have seen Harrison hit a big shot and pump his fist and grab his jersey-- he played to win-- he wasn't a dog-- and I don't think he brought others down. He shook his head, and complained to refs-- so what.

ras

« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2013, 12:26:07 PM »
It was obvious something was going on w DLO. He has not looked like himself lately. I didnt know if it was mental or physical. Tough loss. Unfortunately we should be used to this. We get a great news ,get our hopes up, then bad news follows.

« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »

I have seen Harrison hit a big shot and pump his fist and grab his jersey-- he played to win-- he wasn't a dog-- and I don't think he brought others down. He shook his head, and complained to refs-- so what.

I'm talking off the court.

« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2013, 12:27:49 PM »
This was done because next year could be a special year.  They want him to be either on board or get off.  They don't want his attitude screwing up the chemistry next year.  The little things became too much of a burden.  This is all about next year and building something.  That is thinking with this.

This post and kob's post just nailed it.

The ground rules are set.  Lavin was building towards next year's team with the hope that this year we would taste some post-season.

But to reach the full potential for next year everyone needs to be on board, one standard. 

And better to get the message out NOW then middle of next year when you truly expect to be REAL good.  Especially since this gives Dlo and opportunity to right himself before next year.