Harrison suspended rest of the year

• 537 replies
Re: Harrison suspended rest of the year
« Reply #240 on: March 01, 2013, 07:34:24 PM »
....With him STJ can be a top 10 team next year and he will be the captain.

I'm not saying we don't have reason to be excited about next season, but lets not get carried away.

After seeing the video of Lavin talking about the situation, I actually feel much more confident Harrison will come back. He stated "I want to finish my career here, I want to get my degree here" according to Lavin, so those are pretty strong statements and I'm glad to hear it. If I were Lavin I would offer the school's Psych department as a resource to help him control his emotions and keep a clear head. On the Queens campus there is a center for that kind of stuff. I know many teams have sports psychologists as well, so if we have one, I would suggest he consult him first. He can be taught relaxation techniques, deep breathing, etc. for every time he gets a bad call, every time he misses a shot, etc. It could only help.

I trust coach's decision but I just hope to god that this turns out to be the right thing because we need Harrison for next year. Getting Jordan will help, but he will only be a freshman in a sea of veterans so he likely won't reach his potential when everyone else is in our window for winning which is really next year and possibly the next. Though Harrison probably deserved it with an incident we won't know about for a while if ever, I still feel bad for the kid. He pours his heart and soul into the game and watching every game I can assure you he did get robbed on a lot of calls notably more than other players pretty consistently. That doesn't excuse bad behavior at practice though towards teammates and especially coaches. I really hope within the next few weeks or at least over the summer he announces he will definitely come back after clearing his head. The NCAA tourney was already a severe stretch even with him...Branch still isn't the same yet either so I really view next year as "the year" assuming Harrison stays.

I saw someone mention the top 10...please let's not get ahead of ourselves. To be a top 10 team you have to be a monster of a team. I would be thrilled to see us at #25, so let's not set ourselves up for disappointment already. If Harrison comes back and really solves his mental issues or at least greatly reduces them, I don't see why this team cannot be a top 4 team next year in the new conference.

Solves his "mental issues"? Good Grief!

« Reply #241 on: March 01, 2013, 07:39:13 PM »
I don't understand the number of posters second guessing and criticizing Coach for suspending Harrison. Harrison got himself suspended.

And for people complaining about missing his offence? Then you haven't been watching too many games. He's actually shot us out of opportunity. Example Pittsburgh.

Happy

« Reply #242 on: March 01, 2013, 07:46:29 PM »
I personally could care less that they suspended D'angelo.  Nobody should be bigger than the team and the kids who want to be a part of something will try hard on and off the court and also in practice.  What bothers me is the outside public perception of it all. Always something with this team and suspending your leading scorer ( for a good reason mind you) just gives off the unstable and ship is sinking vibe. I'm not the biggest Lavin fan in the world .. But he did the right thing here. 

« Reply #243 on: March 01, 2013, 10:37:09 PM »
D Lo's stats since Jan 12 Georgetown game
Pts per game  13.25
Field Goal %  42-147  .285 %
3 pt. %  21 - 78  .269 %
Foul shooting %  21 - 78 .269 5
If you look at these stats, the first thing you see is consistency and the second thing is
I got to have this player?
Look, I love D'Lo's competitiveness, but tell me as a coach I have to take a pass on
his attitude or whatever else he displayed in practice towards me or his teammates , not happening on my team.

« Reply #244 on: March 01, 2013, 10:49:16 PM »
Can I sell my Tixx to a Providence fan???
Shurina? Any Ideas?
 :(

« Reply #245 on: March 01, 2013, 11:07:25 PM »
Polee, Nuri, Stith, Harrison.

Norm used to get killed over these kind of things. ;)

Polee despite getting playing time. That one is on his father and a huge mistake given his limited PT on SD State
Nuri didnt leave because of Lavin as he wasn't here
Stith - please
Harrison - TBD; this is actually kudos to Lavin for not letting a star be bigger than the team

Tiznow

« Reply #246 on: March 01, 2013, 11:12:36 PM »
All these posts and nothing from Linda.  Many poor imitations, but not the real thing.

This team is interesting to say the least and well worth following.

« Reply #247 on: March 02, 2013, 01:15:14 AM »
Didn't read the whole thread but after watching this season on the way he plays as well as his attitude, he reminds me of John Starks less the ups and defense.

When he is on, he looks like he can play with the best of them. However, when he is off, he needs to throw up a lot more shots to get his points.

« Reply #248 on: March 02, 2013, 01:21:42 AM »
Disappointed in Harrison. That's pretty much it.

paultzman

« Reply #249 on: March 02, 2013, 08:19:30 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/lavin_prepared_to_take_the_heat_bXQc2pfcN32oejen0NH8AN

Reference to Fr. Harrington stressing to SL when he came the importance of doing the right thing v. winning. Guess FH did not practice what he preached.

« Reply #250 on: March 02, 2013, 09:28:06 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/lavin_prepared_to_take_the_heat_bXQc2pfcN32oejen0NH8AN

Reference to Fr. Harrington stressing to SL when he came the importance of doing the right thing v. winning. Guess FH did not practice what he preached.

"...But when he turned his back on a huddle in a national televised game at Syracuse, the highest levels of the administration saw it and were embarrassed...."

One piece of the puzzle.

Foad

« Reply #251 on: March 02, 2013, 09:53:37 AM »

I thought Robbins started strong

"With three games left in the regular season and his St. John’s team perched on the NCAA Tournament bubble, Lavin suspended his leading scorer, D’Angelo Harrison, for the rest of the season .... Right or wrong, a successful basketball season for programs such as St. John’s is defined these days on whether or it makes the Tournament and how far it advances. Lavin knows that better than anyone.

But I think my ending is better:

... Which is why Lavin is worried. Other than a 20 win season with 10 players who went on to play professional basketball that he he inherited from Norm Roberts, Lavin hasn't made the NCAA tournament since 2001, a drought of 12 years. His record since then is a mediocre 60 wins and 64 losses; without Norm Roberts players it's a horrific 39 wins and 52 losses. Lavin knows he has to produce, and soon, lest even his most ardent lickspittles notice that the emperor isn't wearing and clothes and has flabby man boobs and and a hairy back.

However, with Harrison's suspension at least some of the heat is off. Now when Saint John's loses its next three games and backs into the NIT tournament the talk will be of D'Angelo Harrison's mental stability, rather than Lavin's underachievement. Instead of blaming Lavin for the team's failure Lavin will be clapped on the back for his bravery and integrity. Yea! Steve everyone will say, a sentiment echoed by Steve Lavin:

"Father Harrington made it clear there are things that are more important than winning." Lavin said.

Well, there'd better be, because Lavin hasn't won anything in 15 years.

Entering the season many of the the Saint John's faithful predicted a 20 or 25 win season and an NCAA tournament berth. Instead they got another year of really, really bad basketball. Maybe they'd have won a couple more if Lavin hadn't redshirted his only experienced big man, or had been able to get his other big man qualified, or if he'd been able to get his other other big man qualified. Or if he's instituted even a vague offensive plan or relied on something other than his silly junk defense. We'll never know. What we do know is that D'Angelo Harrison is a thug with tattoos and mental issues and poor Steve Lavin has his best interests at heart, and  if Harrison’s public humiliation results in kudos for Steve Lavin in the NY press, well, Steve Lavin is a big enough man to accept those. Because of the things that are more important than winning few are as satisfying as a tongue bath from Lenn Robbins on the back page of the NY Post

« Reply #252 on: March 02, 2013, 10:25:06 AM »
QUOTE" Do you think Coach wanted to rain on the Sanchez parade and the new BE with this unless he had to."Derk

I do not know why ths was done the day after? The quote from the school was there was no defining incident but an accumulation. I am not suggesting anything other than confusion over the timing.

May very well have been an accumulation of misbehavior but there always is a "last straw" that precipitates action being taken.

Who knows what it is...D-Lo is very talented, and I hope he returns, but I think anyone would be hard pressed to say that he doesn't cross the "swagger" line at times and does have fits of disrespect...

jr49

« Reply #253 on: March 02, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »

"With three games left in the regular season and his St. John’s team perched on the NCAA Tournament bubble, Lavin suspended his leading scorer, D’Angelo Harrison, for the rest of the season .... Right or wrong, a successful basketball season for programs such as St. John’s is defined these days on whether or it makes the Tournament and how far it advances. Lavin knows that better than anyone.

... Which is why Lavin is worried. Other than a 20 win season with 10 players who went on to play professional basketball that he he inherited from Norm Roberts, Lavin hasn't made the NCAA tournament since 2001, a drought of 12 years. His record since then is a mediocre 60 wins and 64 losses; without Norm Roberts players it's a horrific 39 wins and 52 losses. Lavin knows he has to produce, and soon, lest even his most ardent lickspittles notice that the emperor isn't wearing and clothes and has flabby man boobs and and a hairy back.

However, with Harrison's suspension at least some of the heat is off. Now when Saint John's loses its next three games and backs into the NIT tournament the talk will be of D'Angelo Harrison's mental stability, rather than Lavin's underachievement. Instead of blaming Lavin for the team's failure Lavin will be clapped on the back for his bravery and integrity. Yea! Steve everyone will say, a sentiment echoed by Steve Lavin:

"Father Harrington made it clear there are things that are more important than winning." Lavin said.

Entering the season many of the the Saint John's faithful predicted a 20 or 25 win season and an NCAA tournament berth. Instead they got another year of really, really bad basketball. Maybe they'd have won a couple more if Lavin hadn't redshirted his only experienced big man, or had been able to get his other big man qualified, or if he'd been able to get his other other big man qualified. Or if he's instituted even a vague offensive plan or relied on something other than his silly junk defense. We'll never know. What we do know is that D'Angelo Harrison is a thug with tattoos and mental issues and poor Steve Lavin has his best interests at heart, and  if Harrison’s public humiliation results in kudos for Steve Lavin in the NY press, well, Steve Lavin is a big enough man to accept those. Because of the things that are more important than winning few are as satisfying as a tongue bath from Lenn Robbins on the back page of the NY Post
Outside of vulgarity your post brings nothing to the table. You must have talent along with being liked and respected by those who run this board. How about bringing some knowledgeable hoops talk to the board to balance out your post on situation that deserves better. Thanks. 

Dan

« Reply #254 on: March 02, 2013, 11:37:40 AM »
It's completely true that Lavin has done absolutely nothing without Norm Robert's players, and that he (and probably mostly his staff) got more out of Norm's players than Norm would have ever gotten.

Next year is a huge year.  If they don't make the NCAA Tournament next year I think he should be on the hot seat.  Enough with the excuses.  These are your players.  You took a chance on Harrison and he's a malcontent.  That's your problem.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:38:14 AM by Dan »

« Reply #255 on: March 02, 2013, 11:57:54 AM »

Outside of vulgarity your post brings nothing to the table. You must have talent along with being liked and respected by those who run this board. How about bringing some knowledgeable hoops talk to the board to balance out your post on situation that deserves better. Thanks.

For once Foad tells it like it is and you're looking for knowledgeable hoops talk in a situation where none is possible.  GG was red shirted.  Sanchez became an embarassment.  Greene proved once again he can't do what we knew he couldn't.  Our best player gets suspended for some amorphous reason and with all the overpaid staff members not one youngster has been enticed to join the madness and you call for knowledgeable hoops talk.  Where the Hell would it come from amidst the maelstrom of yet another meltdown?  At least Foad is pointing out all the unanswerable nonsense that constantly plagues our program.  As far as I'm concerned all bets are off involving SJU.  The final record will tell the only relevant story and I'm not very optimistic about that at this point.

« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »
You guys sound like impotent UCLA fans.   

First the guy is an idiot now he is smart enough to launch a plan to suspend his best player to deflect criticism. There are probably some actual idiots that believe that.

You guys act like we are Kentucky.  Did you guys expect a sweet sixteen run in the second year of refilling an empty roster on a program that became a laughing stock nationally. 

Of course Lavin should take some heat but the hyperbole gets out of hand.  Hot seat?  As Choz would say...smh
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

SJUFAN

« Reply #257 on: March 02, 2013, 12:14:24 PM »
You guys sound like impotent UCLA fans.   

First the guy is an idiot now he is smart enough to launch a plan to suspend his best player to deflect criticism. There are probably some actual idiots that believe that.

You guys act like we are Kentucky.  Did you guys expect a sweet sixteen run in the second year of refilling an empty roster on a program that became a laughing stock nationally. 

Of course Lavin should take some heat but the hyperbole gets out of hand.  Hot seat?  As Choz would say...smh

+1. You can easily tell the basketball fans from the knowledgeable basketball fans. Once you understand some people don't have a clue, their posts are easier to digest.

Dan

« Reply #258 on: March 02, 2013, 12:19:51 PM »
I think his seat getting warm would be justified if they don't make the tournament next year.  That would be three straight years without a berth, if you're counting on not making it this year, which seems likely, especially with Harrison getting himself suspended.

Remember, it was the same clueless nice persons who said that anyone who bashed Norm wasn't "in the know" and then changed their tune, while I was on Norm from the moment I realized he couldn't coach or recruit.  Lavin deserves some more slack due to his past results and getting at least one team to a NCAA tournament, unlike Roberts, but it's ridiculous to label him as infallible like the above posters are pretty much doing.  "Anyone that thinks that Lavin deserves to be on the hot seat if he fails to take the team to a NCAA tournament bid, not a sweet 16 run, not a final four, just a freaking berth, for a third straight season (notice what I posted above) is not in the know.  Just trust us.  We championed Norm through 2 seasons where he should have already gotten ousted."

Chances are they make the tournament next year, but if they don't, you have to start asking questions.  I'm not asking for a final four, just asking to get in.  So drop it if you think anyone asking for that is an entitled Wildcats fan.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:21:12 PM by Dan »

« Reply #259 on: March 02, 2013, 12:24:09 PM »
I think his seat getting warm would be justified if they don't make the tournament next year.  That would be three straight years without a berth, if you're counting on not making it this year, which seems likely, especially with Harrison getting himself suspended.

Remember, it was the same clueless nice persons who said that anyone who bashed Norm wasn't "in the know" and then changed their tune, while I was on Norm from the moment I realized he couldn't coach or recruit.  Lavin deserves some more slack due to his past results and getting at least one team to a NCAA tournament, unlike Roberts, but it's ridiculous to label him as infallible like the above posters are pretty much doing.  "Anyone that thinks that Lavin deserves to be on the hot seat if he fails to take the team to a NCAA tournament bid, not a sweet 16 run, not a final four, just a freaking berth, for a third straight season (notice what I posted above) is not in the know.  Just trust us.  We championed Norm through 2 seasons where he should have already gotten ousted."

Chances are they make the tournament next year, but if they don't, you have to start asking questions.  I'm not asking for a final four, just asking to get in.  So drop it if you think anyone asking for that is an entitled Wildcats fan.

3 straight years? Check that
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.