Harrison suspended rest of the year

• 537 replies
Re: Harrison suspended rest of the year
« Reply #340 on: March 04, 2013, 02:13:47 AM »
I still think his coming back is very, very iffy. It's one thing to say, like he reportedly has, that he's not leaving the school right now, in the middle of a semester, but something else to say -- and, from what I've read, he hasn't -- that he'll definitely be back next year.

If you want to take the polar opposite of what people factually said, then that's fine. How many times does he have to say "I want to finish my career here", "I want to get my degree at SJ", etc.? I think it's also illegal for any coaches other than Lavin to contact him. He is signed with SJ, not open for recruitment. Why wouldn't he want to stay? He knows he has the best chance to win here next year, and he already has 1,000 points here. From what it sounds like, his grandma met with him and talked to coach on the phone, and they all came to an agreement. They even have a plan in place on how to work on his character and all that...why would they make an official plan for a kid who is leaving?

« Reply #341 on: March 04, 2013, 06:07:52 AM »
There is more important things in life then basketball. Lavin understands this and  hopefully this helps Dlo mature. These players are young men and helping them become well adjusted human beings is more important then winning games!

Foad

« Reply #342 on: March 04, 2013, 06:48:24 AM »
Harisson is staying according to Lenn Robbins
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/harrison_won_leave_st_john_despite_vjdnKHSStP4Kh0gWa1tY2H

That doesn't say he's returning next year, that says he's not leaving school today, which is what it also says in the DN.

After speaking with him twice since her arrival, [grandma] told the Daily News Sunday night that she will neither put up a fight nor withdraw Harrison from school. “That’s the plan for today,” Harris told the News.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/harrison-grandmother-accept-lavin-punishment-article-1.1278491#ixzz2MZRURSTt

Didn't Lavin say Harrison has to earn his way back on the team by changing his ways? Have his ways changed in the three days? 

« Reply #343 on: March 04, 2013, 08:00:33 AM »
There is more important things in life then basketball. Lavin understands this and  hopefully this helps Dlo mature. These players are young men and helping them become well adjusted human beings is more important then winning games!

BS.  more important things in life?  lavin just didn't like getting punked.

paultzman

« Reply #344 on: March 04, 2013, 08:03:40 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/harrison_won_leave_st_john_despite_vjdnKHSStP4Kh0gWa1tY2H

That doesn't say he's returning next year, that says he's not leaving school today, which is what it also says in the DN.

After speaking with him twice since her arrival, [grandma] told the Daily News Sunday night that she will neither put up a fight nor withdraw Harrison from school. “That’s the plan for today,” Harris told the News.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/harrison-grandmother-accept-lavin-punishment-article-1.1278491#ixzz2MZRURSTt

Didn't Lavin say Harrison has to earn his way back on the team by changing his ways? Have his ways changed in the three days? 

Grandmother's comments are interesting. The one positive I sense is some tension has been reduced. How that relates to Harrison getting on board with Lavin's expectations over time is another question. Unrelated to Harrison's comportment, I wonder how Rico Hines relates to players. I will leave it at that.

« Reply #345 on: March 04, 2013, 09:40:21 AM »

Grandmother's comments are interesting. The one positive I sense is some tension has been reduced. How that relates to Harrison getting on board with Lavin's expectations over time is another question. Unrelated to Harrison's comportment, I wonder how Rico Hines relates to players. I will leave it at that.

very very interesting comments:

“Mistakes have been made by both parties, but people are capable of making mistakes and still intending to do the right thing,” Harris said. “That’s what’s happening with everyone here.”

“D’Angelo is on a basketball scholarship and he essentially works for St. John’s,” She added. “Sometimes, even though an employee does something that seems minor, that is not how the employer looks at it. Sometimes what matters is what they think.”

RedVet

« Reply #346 on: March 04, 2013, 11:35:56 AM »
RedStormyNight, can you show me the quote where Harrison says, "I want to finish my career here" at St. John's? ... because I don't remember ever seeing it.

All I remember him saying was that he's not leaving St. John's now, and his grandmother adds, "That's the plan for today." Not "the plan" period ... but the plan "for today."

She also said, "I understand what [Lavin] is doing, but I don't necessarily agree. ... I still don’t agree with Coach Lavin’s decision to suspend him. ... but we’re in good communication now and trying to work things out.” "Trying" is a positive sign, but it's far from a done deal, especially when she adds, "In fact, mistakes have been made by both parties." That's hardly backing Lavin 100 percent.

So unless I'm mistaken -- and I'm not saying I'm not -- there was no definitive statement from either Harrison or his grandmother that he would be back playing for St. John's next year, only that he intends to finish out the semester and that they'll try to work things out.

Given Harrison's ego and emotional instability and immaturity, don't assume he's going to take the high road and return to the team next year. In fact, don't assume anything.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:36:31 AM by RedVet »

« Reply #347 on: March 04, 2013, 01:42:01 PM »

team appears to have left to ND already. i'd imagine an in person meeting likely has already taken place.

« Reply #348 on: March 04, 2013, 02:08:28 PM »
Don't get what you are implying Paultz?

Poison

« Reply #349 on: March 04, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »

I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan this watch them grow up. The basketball part is why we pay, or overpay, to follow them. This teaching crap really pisses me off. I'm not a fan of the rest of the student body because they don't play on the team.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:15:21 PM by Poison »

jr49

« Reply #350 on: March 04, 2013, 04:00:33 PM »
RedStormyNight, can you show me the quote where Harrison says, "I want to finish my career here" at St. John's? ... because I don't remember ever seeing it.

All I remember him saying was that he's not leaving St. John's now, and his grandmother adds, "That's the plan for today." Not "the plan" period ... but the plan "for today."

She also said, "I understand what [Lavin] is doing, but I don't necessarily agree. ... I still don’t agree with Coach Lavin’s decision to suspend him. ... but we’re in good communication now and trying to work things out.” "Trying" is a positive sign, but it's far from a done deal, especially when she adds, "In fact, mistakes have been made by both parties." That's hardly backing Lavin 100 percent.

So unless I'm mistaken -- and I'm not saying I'm not -- there was no definitive statement from either Harrison or his grandmother that he would be back playing for St. John's next year, only that he intends to finish out the semester and that they'll try to work things out.

Given Harrison's ego and emotional instability and immaturity, don't assume he's going to take the high road and return to the team next year. In fact, don't assume anything.
Only a guess by me, but it wasn't lookin like he wanted to be here this year. Why would any of us assume he's back here next year. Maybe Lavin hitting right notes and DH back better then ever. Did not look like things were going to keep on like they were. Does anyone here think DH was at his best for a while now?   

boo3

« Reply #351 on: March 04, 2013, 04:11:07 PM »
 I think what has been announced from both sides publicly should be taken with a grain of salt.

I will be pleasantly surprised to see Harrison back here next year.  I hope he is.  I wouldn't put any $$ on it though...

Poison

« Reply #352 on: March 04, 2013, 04:16:21 PM »
I think what has been announced from both sides publicly should be taken with a grain of salt.

I will be pleasantly surprised to see Harrison back here next year.  I hope he is.  I wouldn't put any $$ on it though...

Wouldn't it be nice if what we were told in the media was actually what happened? This has become the season of spin.

« Reply #353 on: March 04, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »
Harrison is probably a pain in the ass and suspension was probably warranted. The stuff that is hysterical to me is how some are claiming that Lavin is some sort of Father Flanagan type that has Harrison's best interest at heart and is trying to make him a better man. College basketball coaches are about one step up from used car salesmen. Successful ones anyway. I am sure Lavin's reasons for doing this do not include Harrison's well being. That is a crock.

Honestly I don't care about either. As a fan of the team I just think losing our best player sucks!

« Reply #354 on: March 04, 2013, 04:34:25 PM »
Harrison is probably a pain in the ass and suspension was probably warranted. The stuff that is hysterical to me is how some are claiming that Lavin is some sort of Father Flanagan type that has Harrison's best interest at heart and is trying to make him a better man. College basketball coaches are about one step up from used car salesmen. Successful ones anyway. I am sure Lavin's reasons for doing this do not include Harrison's well being. That is a crock.

Honestly I don't care about either. As a fan of the team I just think losing our best player sucks!

I think it's definitely part of it. To say he 100% doesn't have Harrison's interests in mind is just as ignorant as saying he 100% did have his best interests in mind. Bottom line, Harrison either grows up this offseason and plays on a tournament contender next season or he doesn't. If he grows up, hard to say Lavin didn't have his best interests in mind.

boo3

« Reply #355 on: March 04, 2013, 04:34:49 PM »
  "I am sure Lavin's reasons for doing this do not include Harrison's well being."- wasju

Then what do you think it is?  In all seriousness.  I hope its not so he has an excuse for a .500 BE record..  Don't get all conspiracy theory on us.  We have enough of those guys around here.

Poison

« Reply #356 on: March 04, 2013, 04:38:25 PM »

I think it's definitely part of it. To say he 100% doesn't have Harrison's interests in mind is just as ignorant as saying he 100% did have his best interests in mind. Bottom line, Harrison either grows up this offseason and plays on a tournament contender next season or he doesn't. If he grows up, hard to say Lavin didn't have his best interests in mind.

Lavin has suspended Harrison 3 times now. How long until it doesn't work?

« Reply #357 on: March 04, 2013, 04:42:01 PM »
quote"I think it's definitely part of it. To say he 100% doesn't have Harrison's interests in mind is just as ignorant as saying he 100% did have his best interests in mind. Bottom line, Harrison either grows up this offseason and plays on a tournament contender next season or he doesn't. If he grows up, hard to say Lavin didn't have his best interests in mind."

For the record I don't think a college coach has to. My feeling is he became more trouble than he is worth and Lavin got tired of being disrespected. His prerogative. My problem isn't with Lavin and it isn't with Harrison. The bottom line is this sucks and if I were to bet I say he does not come back. I think people making Lavin out to be a hero in this are silly and people stating this is a good thing are crazy.

boo3

« Reply #358 on: March 04, 2013, 04:43:46 PM »
 I agree with that 100% WASJU.

« Reply #359 on: March 04, 2013, 04:44:05 PM »
Quote" Then what do you think it is?  In all seriousness.  I hope its not so he has an excuse for a .500 BE record..  Don't get all conspiracy theory on us.  We have enough of those guys around here. "

I think Harrison was a pain in the ass and he got tired of him.