Harrison suspended rest of the year

• 537 replies
Re: Harrison suspended rest of the year
« Reply #360 on: March 04, 2013, 06:07:13 PM »
hypothetically:

If Lavin coaches this team last year as opposed to Dunlap, does D transfer at the end of last year?

« Reply #361 on: March 04, 2013, 06:14:54 PM »
Harrison is probably a pain in the ass and suspension was probably warranted. The stuff that is hysterical to me is how some are claiming that Lavin is some sort of Father Flanagan type that has Harrison's best interest at heart and is trying to make him a better man. College basketball coaches are about one step up from used car salesmen. Successful ones anyway. I am sure Lavin's reasons for doing this do not include Harrison's well being. That is a crock.

Honestly I don't care about either. As a fan of the team I just think losing our best player sucks!

I don't think this is very fair to Lavs. He is a pretty staunch disciple of John Wooden (if I recall) and his success, I believe, had a lot to do with his philosophies, and the idea of not only being a coach, but being a teacher. I think this is a common theme with all of the "great" coaches, they not only win games, but they can affect how their players think and act for the rest of their life.

Poison

« Reply #362 on: March 04, 2013, 07:04:27 PM »
hypothetically:

If Lavin coaches this team last year as opposed to Dunlap, does D transfer at the end of last year?

None of the players liked Dunlap. This is the culture that is fostered in basketball. The players are allowed to behave however they choose. Or so they thought.

Foad

« Reply #363 on: March 04, 2013, 07:07:29 PM »
I don't think this is very fair to Lavs. He is a pretty staunch disciple of John Wooden (if I recall) and his success, I believe, had a lot to do with his philosophies, and the idea of not only being a coach, but being a teacher.

Wooden's success owed a lot to Sam Gilbert's checkbook.

LJSA

« Reply #364 on: March 04, 2013, 10:29:15 PM »
hypothetically:

But we'd still have Nuri.

Moose

« Reply #365 on: March 04, 2013, 10:36:15 PM »
hypothetically:

Um no.
He would have been drafted in the 1st round.
Duh
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #366 on: March 04, 2013, 11:17:03 PM »
hypothetically:

Um no.
He would have been drafted in the 1st round.
Duh

Hey, lay off Nuri. He scored 10 points the other day. All in one game. He's not the worst player the MAAC. He's one of them, but he's not the worst.

« Reply #367 on: March 05, 2013, 10:23:17 AM »
Matt Brust was a dope who got into fights with fans, opponents and his teamates if PMG's story is to be believed. Yet he is some kind of folk hero to some.

Bad guy and 100% true that Barry Milhaven put him in his place after Brust dared him to in practice.

Run into Milhaven at HS games on LI, seems pretty mild mannered.

« Reply #368 on: March 05, 2013, 02:37:06 PM »
Just judging by posts I would say this board is about 60/40 against Harrison. Redmen is about 90/10 against. They hate him and judging by some of the posts you would think he killed a guy with a trident or something.

boo3

« Reply #369 on: March 05, 2013, 03:19:29 PM »
Just judging by posts I would say this board is about 60/40 against Harrison. Redmen is about 90/10 against. They hate him and judging by some of the posts you would think he killed a guy with a trident or something.

I put a poll up to see what the real percentage is here on JJ.

paultzman

« Reply #370 on: March 06, 2013, 05:53:12 PM »
It may be me, but tonight on SNY with Tarik Turner, Lavin did not leave me confident Harrison will return. If anything, reference to Harrison "having a good future at SJU or somewhere else" by Lavin raised more doubt in my mind. Just a gut reaction! Hope I'm wrong.

boo3

« Reply #371 on: March 06, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »
It may be me, but tonight on SNY with Tarik Turner, Lavin did not leave me confident Harrison will return. If anything, reference to Harrison "having a good future at SJU or somewhere else" by Lavin raised more doubt in my mind. Just a gut reaction! Hope I'm wrong.

I had same reaction.

DFF6

« Reply #372 on: March 06, 2013, 06:01:59 PM »

I think he's gone, notwithstanding Robbins' article.  Lavin didn't suspend him without expecting it (if not wanting him to leave as a result of the suspension).   

« Reply #373 on: March 06, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
what does lavin have up his sleeve if harrison leaves. you are right the interview didnt sound so optimistic.

Poison

« Reply #374 on: March 06, 2013, 08:23:31 PM »
what does lavin have up his sleeve if harrison leaves. you are right the interview didnt sound so optimistic.

Maybe nothing? Maybe he's going to teach the fans a lesson about expectations? He is a teacher, right?

« Reply #375 on: March 06, 2013, 09:15:19 PM »

I had same reaction.

I guess I didn't see what you guys saw.  Let's understand this, it has been less then a week since he suspended Harrison.  The standard for Harrison to earn his way back is to demonstrate over the next several MONTHS that he has shown the maturity on and off the court worthy of being a student athlete at SJU.

So what you guys are saying is that after 5 days or so of being suspended Lavin is going to publically tip his hand and say he "fully expects Harrison to return because he already in less then a week has demonstrated what I said he needed to do to earn his way back."  Really?  And short of that is evidence that Lavin does not want D'Angelo to return.  Really?  Now he may not return but I heard nothing from Coach Lavin that is inconsistent with what he did last Friday or what he has maintained since then.  In fact if he somehow tipped his hand either way the suspension would be seen as a fraud.

The Robbins article is from the Harrion perspective.  In other words does Harrison want to return and apparently, according to his family, he very much does.  That is good news.  But that is only half the picture.  And the other half is the guy who will ultimately make the decision, Coach Lavin.  He has to decide whether he returns and that will take probably into the summer before Coach is satisfied one way or another.

« Reply #376 on: March 06, 2013, 09:44:13 PM »
I know lavin makes the ultimate decision but wouldn't surprise me one bit if he mentions teamates have a say if he comes back as well especially since they are upperclassmen.  At sju we had a bunch of kids get suspended for all types of things from alcohol related instances to insubordination to coaches.  As a head coach, he does not want to play favorites and I believe he will listen very hard to the captains over the summer, whom ever they are.

ras

« Reply #377 on: March 06, 2013, 10:08:02 PM »

I had same reaction.

I guess I didn't see what you guys saw.  Let's understand this, it has been less then a week since he suspended Harrison.  The standard for Harrison to earn his way back is to demonstrate over the next several MONTHS that he has shown the maturity on and off the court worthy of being a student athlete at SJU.

So what you guys are saying is that after 5 days or so of being suspended Lavin is going to publically tip his hand and say he "fully expects Harrison to return because he already in less then a week has demonstrated what I said he needed to do to earn his way back."  Really?  And short of that is evidence that Lavin does not want D'Angelo to return.  Really?  Now he may not return but I heard nothing from Coach Lavin that is inconsistent with what he did last Friday or what he has maintained since then.  In fact if he somehow tipped his hand either way the suspension would be seen as a fraud.

The Robbins article is from the Harrion perspective.  In other words does Harrison want to return and apparently, according to his family, he very much does.  That is good news.  But that is only half the picture.  And the other half is the guy who will ultimately make the decision, Coach Lavin.  He has to decide whether he returns and that will take probably into the summer before Coach is satisfied one way or another.
Good Post. I also didnt take any thing Lavin said as implying he did not want Harrison back

Poison

« Reply #378 on: March 06, 2013, 10:16:09 PM »
hypothetically:

Behind closed doors a bunch of the players cried like little girls about Dunlap. Lavin was supposed to be the good cop.

« Reply #379 on: March 07, 2013, 12:56:45 AM »
hypothetically:

Behind closed doors a bunch of the players cried like little girls about Dunlap. Lavin was supposed to be the good cop.

Last year is a while ago I remember Harrison rolling his eyes etc regarding officials. However don't recall any disrespect toward the coaching staff. Just wondering is it possible Dulap told why as well as what whereas Lavin more emotional with only a what.