Tale of two Halves

• 16 replies
Tale of two Halves
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:29:27 PM »
It appears to this casual observer that Phil Greene has shot and played much better in the first half of games than in the second.  Going even one step further,  it appears that Mean Joe has done much of his finest work very early in the games.  Often being our primary or only scoring threat in the first quarter of contests when nobody else is finding range.

Am I crazy?  Don't answer that.

Any theories or explanations?

paultzman

Re: Tale of two Halves
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 12:34:12 PM »
He plays too many minutes and gets far too many shots for an average player. He tires in second half with all that running around. Taking off balance jumpers late in clock may also lead to fatigue and guys like me screaming at TV or in person.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:38:21 PM »
Law of averages. He can't shoot. If he hits shots in 1st half he will miss in the second half.

Moose

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:38:50 PM »
He should only play the 1st half :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:47:14 PM »
He tires in second half with all that running around.

Is that possible?  He's 20 years old?

paultzman

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 12:48:49 PM »
He tires in second half with all that running around.

Is that possible?  He's 20 years old?

Was sarcastic reference to his commitment to "circling"court. See WASJU for details.

tnice

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »
It appears to this casual observer that Phil Greene has shot and played much better in the first half of games than in the second.  Going even one step further,  it appears that Mean Joe has done much of his finest work very early in the games.  Often being our primary or only scoring threat in the first quarter of contests when nobody else is finding range.

Totally anecdotal, but it seems like his shot selection is worse in the second half moreso than missing open jumpers because of tired legs. That floater he shoots is a very difficult, low percentage shot. He does it better than most, but he would be better off getting to the tin and either finishing or getting fouled.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 12:57:20 PM »
quote"Was sarcastic reference to his commitment to "circling"court. See WASJU for details."

I know my dog gets tired chasing his tail in a circle

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 02:11:22 PM »
Phil green is hot tonight...goes 5-25, bringing his season shoting percentage to 30%....getting hot at the right time phil. 

Poison

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 02:24:45 PM »

Totally anecdotal, but it seems like his shot selection is worse in the second half moreso than missing open jumpers because of tired legs. That floater he shoots is a very difficult, low percentage shot. He does it better than most, but he would be better off getting to the tin and either finishing or getting fouled.

He's taking bad shots because he's not running an offense. I honestly think he's just tired. He did take it strong to the basket when we were down 2 vs Uconn at a key part of the game. THAT should be his game. Go strong, and draw the foul. He pulls out the Darren Collison floater from time to time. I'd like to see more of that, too.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 03:03:15 PM »
IF HES TIRED, HE SHOULD STOP SHOOTING!!

CC

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 03:06:05 PM »
I felt like kicking a hole in my tv when he air-balled that wide open 3 at the end of the game vs Prov.

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »
For all of those people happy with the Harrison suspension, enjoy the 5-25's. At least Phil seems pretty amiable about it.

CC

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 03:09:47 PM »
His best move is when he penetrates and hits the teardrop a la Mark Jackson. His jumper is NOT soft.

jr49

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 04:54:34 PM »
When pain kicks in harder to keep focus. Coach wants him in because he doesn't turn it over. I think he has a chance to move up next year if well.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 05:04:46 PM »
When pain kicks in harder to keep focus. Coach wants him in because he doesn't turn it over. I think he has a chance to move up next year if well.

And that is the part that few people are considering. He's a tough player. I hope we see a healthier and stronger Phil Greene next year.

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 04:34:40 PM »
I felt like kicking a hole in my tv when he air-balled that wide open 3 at the end of the game vs Prov.
I got to witness it live!
 ;)