Next year's frontcourt

• 10 replies
Next year's frontcourt
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »
With all the talk about our perceived guard problem for next year, will anyone in the new conference have a better front court than us?

Obekpa, Sanchez, Sampson, Gift, Jones, Garrett, Pointer

No traditional offensive center, but this has gotta be as deep, talented, athletic, and experienced as anybody can run out next year.  Assumes everyone comes back, of course

CC

Re: Next year's frontcourt
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 03:00:12 PM »
With all the talk about our perceived guard problem for next year, will anyone in the new conference have a better front court than us?

No traditional offensive center, but this has gotta be as deep, talented, athletic, and experienced as anybody can run out next year.  Assumes everyone comes back, of course

You know how STJ hoops runs; i'm willing to bet at least 2 of those guys you mentioned will not be on next season's team.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 05:31:29 PM »

You know how STJ hoops runs; i'm willing to bet at least 2 of those guys you mentioned will not be on next season's team.

Hurts to say, but I agree. It seems every time we are in a position to brag, something negative happens like a transfer, going pro, or some qualification issues. If none of those things happen, at least 1 player seems to take a huge step back or never improve, or some injuries will occur. I think 2 big keys are: 1) Is Sanchez the real deal? Can he provide offense inside? and 2) Will Gift improve in a major way being 1 year older and more experienced? He was at least solid when we had him, can he take it to the next level?

I think our defense will be very solid, but our offense is still questionable unless we get Jordan, Harrison improves, and Hooper/Marco prove they can make open shots. I haven't seen Sanchez shoot...just layups, alley oops, and other dunks. If he can shoot like Sampson from mid range that is huge.

Chilleb

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 11:12:14 PM »
by the way gift came by my school during the week to do something with our teachers institute program. great guy excellent with the kids and stressed education, he's really a special human being once you speak to him and get to know him a little. also hes more 6'7 than 6'9 the kid in the picture is our sharpshooting two guard and hes about 6 foot even.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:12:52 PM by Chilleb »

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 12:07:40 PM »
Still don't have a low post scorer.
Those who saw the mu game know the import.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Foad

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 12:15:25 PM »
Still don't have a low post scorer. Those who saw the mu game know the import.

Hard to believe we can't find some lummox to play down low. Davante Gardner looked like he could have been Forest Whitiker's body double  in Bird. The only part of bird we have is the wing and we have 8 of those.

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 03:32:55 PM »
Still don't have a low post scorer.
Those who saw the mu game know the import.

You don't think Sanchez or Jones could be that guy next year?

desco80

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 04:38:13 PM »
Too many people are counting on Sanchez as an answer to our low post problems.   I think that's a mistake. 
He can rebound, and he can play D from what I saw.   But his best work is running the floor and his passing from 15ft away.   
Don't expect a center.    He's a talented and athletic forward, and we're lucky to have him, but he's not an aircraft carrier or a bruiser necessarily.   

Jones on the other hand, is undersized, but he was our best defender on the low post yesterday.   CO got pushed off his position when they posted him up.
Jones was able to hold his own.   I was impressed. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 04:40:30 PM by desco80 »

MCNPA

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 04:40:25 PM »

Hard to believe we can't find some lummox to play down low. Davante Gardner looked like he could have been Forest Whitiker's body double  in Bird. The only part of bird we have is the wing and we have 8 of those.

Agree.  Gardner looked like he was going to have a heart attack about 4 minutes into the game.  If he a actually got in shape he might really be something.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 05:08:58 PM »

Agree.  Gardner looked like he was going to have a heart attack about 4 minutes into the game.  If he a actually got in shape he might really be something.

Your not kidding MCN. If Gardner got into top top shape he could be an absolute monster. Quick feet, soft touch, and the most impressive thing is he shoots north of 80% from the line.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 01:36:26 AM »
Davante Gardner looked like he could have been Forest Whitiker's body double  in Bird. The only part of bird we have is the wing and we have 8 of those.

I hear Bird played a mean tenor.